You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LEGO not attending NYCC 2013?

CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 460
A friend told me this, and I also read it on Eurobricks.

Is it true or not? If so, I'm kind of shocked and saddened.

-CM4S

Comments

• RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,086
    Well, that's one way to avoid the mini figure giveaway mess.
    andheAdzbadboyicey117
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 825
    Yes, I was told over a month ago that they are not going because they blew their budget on the New York X-wing reveal...(c;
  • Zeldafanatic15Zeldafanatic15 Member Posts: 106
    Well, I don't know if it helps, but I just checked the NYCC web site and Lego isn't listed as an Exhibitor. With it coming up so soon, I figured if they were going they would have been announced already.
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 623
    Yes it is indeed sadly true, so we now don't have an exact date as to when we may expect new images of new sets to appear: http://www.hothbricks.com/2013/09/nycc-2013-lego-sera-pas/ :-(
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 572
    I can hear the wallets across the world breathing a sigh of relief! I for one am glad, sorry to be that guy :)
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,351
    I'm glad as well, still have to get most of the existing ones.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 734
    Kevin Hinkle sent out an email stating that LEGO would not have a presence at NYCC 2013.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,074
    Sad as I really wanted to go to NYCC since I missed most the exclusives from SDCC and wanted a second shot, but really wasn't looking forward to the flight, hotel stay, ticket prices, etc. LEGO would have been my main attraction too so now I don't feel so bad for not going. Woulda loved to see what kind of figures they'd have though, but wouldn't have loved to see the ebay price tag accompanying it.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,552
    NYCC is run by the same group that does C2E2 and Star Wars Celebration. Lego's never had a presence at C2E2 but they have at NYCC and SWC in the past. I wonder if they will continue to have a presence at SWC and if not, perhaps it's a disagreement between Lego and ReedPOP, maybe even over the lack of participation at C2E2?
  • JessyDooDahJessyDooDah UK Member Posts: 219
    I'm not so glad... Heading to NY in October specifically for the con, and the Lego stand was my main reason for going! :(
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,796

I'm not so glad... Heading to NY in October specifically for the con, and the Lego stand was my main reason for going! :(

Sorry to hear that, and you won't be alone....
  • morezonemorezone Member Posts: 205
    It is sad because there won't be any minifigs but also good because SDCC has already killed my bank balance.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 586
    Good. Fewer stupidly limited exclusives to try and get. And I can sell my 3-day pass with no regrets.
    @GIR3691 you mean you can go one day and sell the pass for the other two days and recoup more than it cost you =-)
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 1,460
    I agree with some sentiment above - so much easier to not have to worry about what is released here and then purchasing it. Still trying to catch up on already released sets and so forth.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 1,761
    Bit of a shame. I was hoping for maybe some more info on Mixels, the LEGO Movie, or next year's Ninjago lineup.
  • legodudelegodude Member Posts: 137
    Maybe DC, Marvel and Warner Bros can show some LEGO stuff at their own booths?
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 1,761
    legodude said:

I doubt it. They'll have their own stuff to promote. We might get some coverage of LEGO-related media connected with those brands, but I don't think the LEGO Group would be lending them any sets to promote.

I'm still going to be following some NYCC coverage to keep up with My Little Pony, The Legend of Korra, and other franchises I follow, but it'll be sad not having our friends at the LEGO Group there.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310

That's too bad, sorry to hear that. On that bright side, you will have more time to enjoy NYC, you can still have a great trip. If the Lego stand was your main reason for going then maybe skip the con and enjoy the city?

• YogaFett2YogaFett2 Member Posts: 522
    Are there any exhibitors selling LEGO and/or will and LUGs have a display this weekend?
    @jvdrummer182 I LUG NY does not have a display, and I don't believe we ever heard back from our submission to do a panel. Last year there were lots of vendors selling lego as well as several associated brands (DK was there with a big display and had some lego related signings). WB, SW, DC, Marvel, Disney will all have presences but IDK if they'll have anything lego related aside from hype for the movie at warner. I think the biggest loss for TLG is that some of the clone brands put huge money into their booths last year and now they don't even have to compete with LEGO in their failed attempts to outshine them.
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 734
    edited October 2013
    I ran into Lego employees at NYCC and they were bummed by the absence of LEGO at NYCC as well.

I bought some minifig elements from the Atlanta Brick Company booth but they were selling pretty shabby, chewed, written on parts so buyer beware. I saw a Vader helmet which I needed and didnt notice it has dimple marks from teeth on it until after getting home yesterday.

As @murphquake mentioned, DK was there and I scored some Chima stickers, the CMF Book with toy soldier for $10, and LEGO Minifigure lanyards that were given out at BFVA.

LEGO fans on the East Coast missed out as did LEGO. Very disappointing to not see LEGO at this hugely popular event. Terrible job by LEGO!
    murphquake
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 917
    Wasn't Iron Patriot given to all those that attended the Lego Marvel Video Game panel? At least you didn't waste any time waiting in line for a rare figure that you probably wouldn't have gotten...
  • legodudelegodude Member Posts: 137
    edited October 2013
    LEGO Marvel Superheroes (video game) had a panel, so at least some LEGO presence from another company. Iron Patriot was handed out too.
    Aanchir said:

legodude said:

I doubt it. They'll have their own stuff to promote. We might get some coverage of LEGO-related media connected with those brands, but I don't think the LEGO Group would be lending them any sets to promote.