Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

What Happenned to Rebelscum.com and When?

prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,559
edited September 2013 in Everything else LEGO
I used to check Rebelscum.com more frequently and have to admit that it's been a couple years since I have. Thus, you can imagine my surprise when I looked at their Lego Star Wars archive page and found the following:
Unfortunately, LEGO has advised us they do not value the Star Wars collector that buys Star Wars LEGO as much as the LEGO fan that buys Star Wars LEGO.

We don't believe it serves our community well, and no longer dedicate resources to covering Star Wars LEGO.

LEGO® is a trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this site.
I find it highly unlikely that Lego literally told them that they "do not value the Star Wars collector that buys Star Wars LEGO as much as the LEGO fan that buys Star Wars LEGO". As I recall, the owner of FBTB threw a tantrum back in 2003 when Rebelscum was given the info on the AT-AT first so obviously there was a greater communication between the two at one point and Lego was willing to give them "scoops" and the kinds of information that other sites occassionally get. Does anyone have the actual content of the communication between them that led to this animosity? I could go looking around Rebelscum for the answer but I don't recall my password for their site and really have little interest in rejoining a site that I left a long time ago. So, anyone have an idea what prompted this?

Comments

• ISDAvengerISDAvenger Member Posts: 196
    You must be really bored to be digging up dirt on this topic.
    Chang405NaptownMVP
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,559
    Not at all. I happened upon the page and noticed it was different than it was the last time I visited. Given their "explanation", I was curious as to what happened that prompted the change.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 3,743 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,309
    I visit the site once in awhile because I still collect certain Star Wars Action figures, but about 90% of my time and money are devoted to Lego. I don't recall ever reading about this.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,019
    I'm told it has something to do with LEGO not providing the site with all the review sets they wanted....
    77ncaachamps
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,765
    The poor darlings. I guess they aren't going to get any now they've thrown their toys out of the pram.
    caperberry
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,559

I'm told it has something to do with LEGO not providing the site with all the review sets they wanted....

That certainly seems beyond childish. They cover the vintage Kenner line and I'm fairly certain that they weren't given the pricey vintage figures, vehicles, playsets, etc. to review. Why haven't they eliminated the Kenner line-up from their site? [/sarcasm] :-)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,019
    It all apparently kicked off a number of years ago; they should probably remove it, though - it doesn't reflect particularly well.
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 399
    I hate that site. The guy that owns it is a total jerk. His top lackeys are jerks. A few years ago people were banned for criticizing (both for constructive and non-constructive criticism) of the top people and then anyone for questioning or disagreeing with these top guys. They tend to have the attitude that they're the biggest SW fan for any number of stupid reasons (most figures, most number of movie views, etc). For these reasons I tend to call these guys scumbags.

It's not this way anymore, but back around '98-'02 these guys would post any rumor about any SW collectible, including stuff they simply made up. They wanted to be the site to break news on any item. They now have some type of deal with Hasbro and some other companies for news and reviews. RS wanted a similar deal with Lego and Lego won't deal. There was also some dust up over the Ambassador program, but I don't recall the details. It's been my experience that site whose primary focus is action figures don't get Lego or Lego collectors. And RS is a prime example of this.

The forums are frequently a mess with members flaming and trolling all over the place. There are periods where things are fine, but also periods where it's a nightmare. The Mods do nothing and then over react.

I would completely avoid the site, but they have the largest and best online community for vintage Kenner SW toys and I collect vintage SW. The vintage folks are generally better as they don't venture into the other areas of the site. They tend to keep to themselves. It's like the nerdy kids of the nerdy kids. While things are better in the vintage section there was another round of bans recently.
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 726
    There are two active LEGO forums and plenty of LEGO-related news over on Rebelscum so it seems like a strange message to leave there. They'd do better just not having a LEGO photo archive page.
    SumoLego
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,903
    Do you realize that you are responding to a post that is 3.5 years old? How in the world did you even find it? 
    BumblepantsMynattWilliam_Townsley
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,235
    People are forever being banned from that site for one reason or another, yes it is a large SW collectors community but that doesn't make it the best. Old or not that type of statement is typical of RS, who fundamentaly refuse to believe that any opinion other than there own is wrong, so if they don't get their own way you're out, at least they are consistent, treating companies the same as member that step out of line :)
    LusiferSam

ecmo47 said:

Do you realize that you are responding to a post that is 3.5 years old? How in the world did you even find it? 

LOL - no I hadn't noticed that!

It seems that Rebelscum started covering LEGO again over a year ago but the statement being discussed here remains on the site...
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,939
    Kudos to @xwingpilot - now part of the Zombie Thread Resurrection Club!
    xwingpilotgmonkey76stluxMynattNaptownMVP

SumoLego said:

Kudos to @xwingpilot - now part of the Zombie Thread Resurrection Club!

Thanks. It's a proud day. :-s
    SumoLegoBumblepantsgmonkey76bandit778nychromastonestluxGoldchainsMynatt
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,808
    What? There's a club? I think I'm in it, if so. I can't remember which thread I resurrected, but I definitely did one. Have to go find it again.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,396

MaffyD said:

What? There's a club? I think I'm in it, if so. I can't remember which thread I resurrected, but I definitely did one. Have to go find it again.

The first rule of resurrecting a topic club is...
    Sorry, I forget. I need to go find the topic we posted that in and bring it back.
    gmonkey76GoldchainsRedbullgivesuwindMaffyD