Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Removing printing from tiles

Is there a way to remove the printing from bricks and tiles without scratching the piece too bad?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,101
    I use very dilute alcohol on a piece of paper towel. Place towel on a flat surface, drip the dilute alcohol on, rub tile back and forth.

Other use rubbers, brasso, etc. But I find best results with dilute alcohol. If the print refuses to budge, you can use less dilute alcohol, or acetone. But care with that, as it will "melt" (dissolve) the surface of the tile too.
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    I've also used dilute alcohol to remove. I'm sure it wasnt as precise as some, but i kept the solution way mild, and kept upping the threshold until it started coming away.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 964
    I use pure eucalyptus oil on a piece of cotton. It works really well and it won't whiten the elements like alcohol does if you leave it on too long. You can find eucalyptus oil at drug-stores, and of course health-food stores in the essential oils section, but the cheapest source I found was always Asian stores.

I would never use acetone. It will melt the elements. Even if you are able to whipe it off fast and you don't see any damage, you can be sure that the ABS is in fact already damaged.

I have also used Brasso on larger elements. Best to work with it outside as the smell is just awful and can give you a headache. But it does work great. If you are using it on smaller parts (like for example for removing just part of a minifig torso design) use a q-tip...(c;

• dneuldneul Member Posts: 369
    Does the rubbing affect the tile? Wll it look all scratched up?
  • MeikoMeiko Member Posts: 11
    Rubbing alcohol, or really any strong alcohol-based liquid would work, and doesn't scratch the surface. If you don't have rubbing alcohol at hand, I've even managed to get things like hand sanitiser to take printing off.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,101
    edited November 2013
    akunthita said:

I use pure eucalyptus oil on a piece of cotton. It works really well and it won't whiten the elements like alcohol does if you leave it on too long. You can find eucalyptus oil at drug-stores, and of course health-food stores in the essential oils section, but the cheapest source I found was always Asian stores.

I would never use acetone. It will melt the elements. Even if you are able to whipe it off fast and you don't see any damage, you can be sure that the ABS is in fact already damaged.

I have also used Brasso on larger elements. Best to work with it outside as the smell is just awful and can give you a headache. But it does work great. If you are using it on smaller parts (like for example for removing just part of a minifig torso design) use a q-tip...(c;

You can use many oils to do it. Even orange oil will wipe print. So don't peel an orange then play with lego.

PS. Acetone doesn't melt ABS, it dissolves it.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,160
    Goo Gone, WD-40.. Just make sure you wash the brick thoroughly when done.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 223
    I've heard Testor's Paint and Decal remover works with plastic bodied Hot Wheels, and it might work with Lego.
  • GrammyGrammy New EnglandMember Posts: 1
    I wanted to remove the two pink and black designs on a white Skater Girl skateboard. I tried a pencil eraser on one of them and was able to remove most of it, but only after ten minutes of serious elbow grease that left my arthritic fingers screaming. Decided to try (my trusty) Oops Latex Paint Remover and it did the job quickly and with little effort. The skateboard is plain white now, with no scratches or shadows or cloudy spots. It's shiny and satiny smooth, so I don't think it damaged the plastic at all.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,160
    edited November 11
    ^-Interesting, what is the paint remove brand name.?
    EDIT: Oh so Oops is its name. Maybe have to try it out.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 799
    has anyone tried Goof-Off?