You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

10245 Santa's Workshop

graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,162
Photo posted at The Brick Fan.
brickedinCapnRex101bluedragonprincedravenLegoKipDiggydoeskekekePitfall69StormKittyEKSamkezInfinitymanmadforLEGOTXLegoguyDanGPLostInTranslationLegobutterflymonkey_rooFaedian7evantylerbobabricksGigglebyteFarmer_JohnHarryPotterLoverLegoMom1gifinimTheBigLegoskiandyscouseiancam33monkey

Comments

• CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,088
    That looks fantastic as a stand alone piece to me, although I am not convinced how well it will fit with the other Winter Village sets already released.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 7,778
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 453
    niiiiiice!! Just place it north of all the winter village stuff. ;)
    GCSLego
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 262
    Guess I was expecting it to be bigger...for a workshop.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 3,853
    I can see it working with the others, hoped for a little bigger,but love the sleigh
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,071
    Do we have a price on this?
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,268
    Hmmm, don't know what to think of that tbh.No doubt it'll fly out of the shops, but it doesn't seem to fit in well with the WV range to me...
    Looking at the picture, I'll guess 1,200 pieces for £80
    edited May 2014
    It was only a year ago people were complaining of the previous two offerings being too big and so had big price tags to suit. I can't imagine this offering being too far north of £50-60 perhaps? Perfect. Will probably rekindle interest from those who previously dropped out.
  • timinchicagotiminchicago USAMember Posts: 239
    Are the reindeer eyes printed bricks? Cannot really tell from the picture.
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    I can't see a red nose.
    edited May 2014
    If I had to estimate a cost, I would probably go somewhere between £60 and £70 with a piece count of around 1000. This set looks larger than the Post Office, but smaller than the Market, so I suppose the price and piece count ought to be somewhere in between.

So for my guess: £69.99.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 826
    I agree - I'd guess at £59.99, so heading back toward (but not all the way!) to the lower price tag
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 4,877
    Oooh, something I really really want! Possibly even a day one purchase!
    I cannot work out how the reindeer heads are attached to the neck. I can guess how the antlers are attached, but not the neck. New piece maybe?
  • adello25adello25 U.S.A.Member Posts: 359

I cannot work out how the reindeer heads are attached to the neck. I can guess how the antlers are attached, but not the neck. New piece maybe?

Looks like it is a droid body:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30375
    Lego_Star
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,352
    Very very nice!
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 1,164
    edited May 2014
    Wonder what the other side of the building looks like?
    Also - liking Mrs Claus.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,203
    That's lovely and a definite buy. As far as I'm concerned it'll fit in fine with the Winter Village theme.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 3,986
    edited May 2014
    Legoboy said:

It was only a year ago people were complaining of the previous two offerings being too big and so had big price tags to suit. I can't imagine this offering being too far north of £50-60 perhaps? Perfect. Will probably rekindle interest from those who previously dropped out.

I wouldn't be shocked to see this set be exactly the same price as the last two: $100 I guess I can hope for $80 though, but I'm cynical

Bumblepants
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 688
    The set looks lovely. We'll definitely be buying this - my wife loves the Christmas sets
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 669
    A definite yes from me!
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 629
    The reindeer are quite sweet, but I think a moulded version would have better suited this type of set (we have horses, dogs, cats, bears, ostriches, seagulls, dolphins, sharks etc. so why not a reindeer?).

At least the elves look like the CMF version and not the half-baked version with the Xmas promo set last year...
    legomasonBlueMoonUSATheBigLegoski
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 3,743 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,076

The reindeer are quite sweet, but I think a moulded version would have better suited this type of set (we have horses, dogs, cats, bears, ostriches, seagulls, dolphins, sharks etc. so why not a reindeer?).

At least the elves look like the CMF version and not the half-baked version with the Xmas promo set last year...

Are you sure the designer wasn't half-baked ;)
    dougts said:

Legoboy said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see this set be exactly the same price as the last two: $100 I guess I can hope for $80 though, but I'm cynical

You're not wrong.

"TLG, here's your chance to do what's right by your fans."
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 781
    I would have preferred a molded reindeer. Even a deer mold they could re-use for Castle themes or a Forest city subtheme, and then new antlers for the reindeer.

I'd expect it to be the same price. It may look smaller (and actually be smaller), but it will still be expensive. You need to drain every penny from everyone... People are guessing 1200 pieces for $80, but last year's was 1200 pieces at $100... this very well may be the same piece count and price as that. The Cottage was over 1400 pieces for $100, so that is a steal even though people grumbled.

And thanks for letting me buy multiple elves last Christmas to release 4 more this year. I understand it's a business, but that is a little upsetting spending so much on CMFs. Good thing with that price increase I'll buy less.
    legomason
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,162
    ^ The 1200 part guess went with a 80 GBP guess not a $ guess.
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    edited May 2014

Yeah really.. I got bought my mom the new #60036 Arctic set for mother's day and it had molded Huskies... These reindeer look generic compared to those new dogs...

Pitfall69
  • kempo81kempo81 Wiltshire, UKMember Posts: 955
    Am I the only one that thinks the toy machine the elf is stood next to looks like a miniature LEGO "Big Bertha"??!!!
    legomason
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,481
    LEGO's low low price of 120 USD. :-p
    I hope it stays at 100 but I have a feeling it will be 120 now. Which would make sense IF they actually molded Reindeer instead of making them out of bricks.
    Still a neat set though.
  • RastRast Member Posts: 111
    We need a fat Santa, like the Hobbit dwarf!
    kempo81
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 945
    Brick built animals in minifigure scale don't do it for me anymore.
  • kezkez United KingdomMember Posts: 657
    This looks great, hopefully another to add to my ever growing wish list, I'm also liking the inclusion of the red Santa sack :-)
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,698
    vwong19 said:

I think Lego just did this because it is still a creator set so animals are still going to be brick built like they always are in the creator line + it would have been more expensive to make a new mold just for one set.
    edited May 2014

vwong19 said:

I think Lego just did this because it is still a creator set so animals are still going to be brick built like they always are in the creator line + it would have been more expensive to make a new mold just for one set.
    They could have used deer in some other sets... But you're right about it being a "Creator" set.. They want you to "Create"

They did use molded animals in some of their other Holidays sets though... I know there was a molded cat in a few of them... I think there was a horse too...

• beabea Member Posts: 209
    I like it. Looks better than last year's pile of little "buildings". I hope the interior is nice as well.

I wish they would quit breaking up sets into little "thingies" (like the tree, the sign post or even the conveyor) and use the pieces to make nicer buildings. Wishful thinking on my part, I expect.

I guess the "Creator" label is an excuse to make the reindeer brick built. If they had made a new mold, they could have used it 5x in the set, which seems like a good use there. Also I'm sure they could incorporate a deer in other forest sets (i.e. bear). I'll trade my Lego molded ostrich for a molded deer.
    I'm confused. Why are LEGO fans prefrrring molded animals over brick built ones? Can I suggest Play Mobil?
    cheshirecatscrumperPeteMAdzbadboySchwallexmargotMojoestsnowhitie
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,481
    edited May 2014
    ^-LEGO has been molding animals for quite some time now, so I do not really understand the snarky comment. Unless you are trying to provoke a reaction?
    Never mind that molded animals tend to be better to not fall apart when handled.
    Lego is to blame for the molded animals.... 20 years ago, I would have expected brick built animals, generic minifigure faces, limited accessories and colors. Now I expect Lego to provide what they have been producing consistently in the past decade.

Playmobil.... please.
    edited May 2014
    ^^ Easy pal. I like you appreciate there have been molded animals for some time but can't understand why brick building fans prefer not to build bricks to make their animals. I like as many things to build in my sets and would prefer not to pull something prefabricated out of the box that could have given me a few moments enjoyment in building.

No biggie. No ununderlying reason behind my apparent snarkiness. Just curious.

^ Sorry, Playmobil. I'm not familiar with its spelling. ;-)
    I don't care about the spelling, but Playmobil is a major insult to me. ;-)
    Legoboy
    Lol, I thought you were correcting my spelling rather than the 'give me a break' tone. :-)
    vwong19
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 1,949
    Hey, playmobil is an excellent toy in its own right. No need to hate on it.
    margot
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 419
    I like the SNOTed sleigh. It looks like a nice build, as does the tree.
    edited May 2014
    Legoboy said:

I'm confused. Why are LEGO fans prefrrring molded animals over brick built ones? Can I suggest Play Mobil?

So are you saying that this is what Lego should still be producing today..? Personally, I love the evolution of how far Lego has come.. I just think the themed sets should be consistent..

Yellowcastle
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,034
    I really like the brick built deer. Using lego bricks to create something that is still instantly recognizable as Santa's reindeer ups the display value imo. I want people to see my Holiday display and say "Oh Cool - it's made out of Legos". And yes - they would say legoS

My dream set would have been a Santa's House / Workshop done in the same fashion as the Haunted House, but I knew that was a pipe dream since it wouldn't be to scale with the rest of the WV theme. I really like this set b/c it makes for a great holiday display on it's own- no other village sets are required. This works out great for those of us who have limited display space.
    bluedragon
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Too bad they didn't give this a Haunted House level treatment. I mean, if anything Christmassy deserved it...
    bluedragon
    edited May 2014
    ^^^ Something similar, yes. That would be my preference anyway. Possibly a little less clunky perhaps now that there's a variety of newer molds available.

^ Something to continue the Christmas 2013 Staff set you mean?
    margot