Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

I don't know if this was posted here, but Walmart has The Lone Ranger train for $50

The wife just called me from the store, said they had 2 of them in the clearance section...

Comments

• CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    Correction, they were only $49

• lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    I'm guessing either you stumbled upon a storeroom find or a customer return. These were on clearance a few months ago and quickly vanished... At least in my area. In any case, great find!
    edited May 2014
    No kidding..? I didn't know that.. That would explain why I couldn't find any recent threads about it... My Walmart just finally set up a new clearance section and added these Lego sets.. The one a few miles away has had a big clearance section for quite some time, but never had any of these train sets...

I was just giving a heads up for everyone else as their stores may get a few more in...
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,078
    edited May 2014
    I would say the title should be YMMV (Your mileage may vary) as most stores have been cleared out some time ago.
    I would say if you have a shipping scale to weigh them. If they have different weight between the two (about 2 OZ difference) then they could have been emptied and returned with garbage in place of them (unless you opened them and they are in fact the sets)
    Hopefully that did not occur but I would be leery if I found those on a shelf. At least enough to weigh them.
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Yep, you're very lucky to stumble onto those. Those were generally the first to vanish from shelves during the clearance a few months ago.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,827
    nice, I had to pay $150 for mine because I live in Canada, not as expensive as Australia but still not as cheap as the states :P
    Odindusk said:

Yep, you're very lucky to stumble onto those. Those were generally the first to vanish from shelves during the clearance a few months ago.

It's all in looking at the tape as well, if the tape does not rip the box which it usually does then it will never look sealed again after being re-applied.
    oops meant to quote this:

I would say the title should be YMMV (Your mileage may vary) as most stores have been cleared out some time ago.
    I would say if you have a shipping scale to weigh them. If they have different weight between the two (about 2 OZ difference) then they could have been emptied and returned with garbage in place of them (unless you opened them and they are in fact the sets)
    Hopefully that did not occur but I would be leery if I found those on a shelf. At least enough to weigh them.

Sorry @Odindusk :P
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,251

nice, I had to pay $150 for mine because I live in Canada, not as expensive as Australia but still not as cheap as the states :P

The AU retail was only $139.99 (I think) and it was easy to get at 20% off (as are most sets). From memory I picked up a couple for $89 and I know some people managed $69, so not all bad down under :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,078
    edited May 2014

oops meant to quote this:

Sorry @Odindusk :P
    I used to think that, until I had boxes for passenger trains with perfect seals that wound up having clone tank parts in both.
    Trust me, weigh the boxes on a good scale (one that shows lbs and ounces), they should both be the same weight or near about. I guess that could be manipulated by a thief as well, but not as likely.
    They are probably fine, but if I buy from a brick and mortar store, I usually weigh any box I get against another of the same set to ensure they have not been tampered with. You may see an ounce difference (usually a tenth of an ounce) but should be about the same weight.
    In any case, it is just a suggestion, especially if you plan on holding them for a while and not opening them yourself
    edited May 2014
    Well the 2 that we just got from Walmart and the one that we got on sale at Target last year all weigh exactly the same and sound like they have the same parts banging around in them...
    Basta said:

The AU retail was only $139.99 (I think) and it was easy to get at 20% off (as are most sets). From memory I picked up a couple for $89 and I know some people managed $69, so not all bad down under :)
    Huh, I always thought Australia was more expensive, I've heard that CMFs are $5 there where they are $3.50 here (except Simpsons, they are $4).
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 223
    Oddly enough the local Walmart still has many EOL sets, like Helicopter Rescue, for example.
  • BeardedCastleGuyBeardedCastleGuy Member Posts: 127
    My understanding is that each Walmart store's dept gets a clearance 'budget' they can apply across the items in that dept at the managers discretion. So if the manager wanted to really blow out Star Wars figures and didn't care much how fast the Lego goes the Lego will sit until they get the next round or it sells at whatever it's marked at. I may very well have heard wrong or it could have changed in the couple of years since I've heard that but to me it fits the pattern of price variation that pops up at times.