Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Question about PAB wall

pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
edited September 2011 in Shopping USA/Canada
I Do not live close enough to a LEGO store to go very often so I have a couple questions about the PAB wall.
First, are they standardized throughout the stores? What I mean is all the walls full of the same pieces no matter what store your in? Second, how often do they rotate the stock of the walls? Do they do it all at once or just add new stuff as old bins become empty? I am asking mainly because I am going to start stocking up on MOC pieces and am trying to figure out if there is a certain timeframe I should wait in between visits to maximize my selection. Any help here would be appreciated. thanks.

Comments

• dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,034
    every store is different - they can each order stock for their PAB wall from among a larger list of available parts (not the full catalog however). Stock changes in my local store almost daily, but not on a wholesale basis. if something in one bin runs out, they replace it with something else from the back.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,920
    Hey, resurrecting this thread as I am wondering if anyone has been to the the Schaumburg IL (US) store and what parts they have since about 20 days ago (about the last time I was there), if anyone happens to know. Also did the PaB model change recently and to what?
  • TkattTkatt MNMember Posts: 158
    I'm going to suggest calling the store and asking what they've got. If they aren't busy they may tell you every piece there is. Or you could ask just about specific bricks/colors you're looking for.
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 794
    edited September 2016
    http://www.wallofbricks.com/ Looks like no one's updated that store since last year.

Tkatt said:
    I'm going to suggest calling the store and asking what they've got. If they aren't busy they may tell you every piece there is. Or you could ask just about specific bricks/colors you're looking for.

Dedgecko said:
    http://www.wallofbricks.com/ Looks like no one's updated that store since last year.
    Yeah, which is why Im asking now. If I have a chance I can try to record the part bins and what part is what, but my phone is not that great and last time I tried I did not really get good video of each bin.
    I would call and ask, but I like the employees there and do not want to tick them off by asking about what parts they have:-)
    I'm likely going there tomorrow anyway so I guess Ill find out what they have

• JenniJenni USAMember Posts: 1,236
    The new PAB model is due to change October 1, beginning of the quarter. I only update wallofbricks (for Nashville) at the beginning of each quarter now as I don't think they'll be sent anything else new till the following quarter. That doesn't mean they can't find an old box or change out their 2x4s.

I hope I'm wrong and you find something exciting, or at least useful :)
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,834
    There's a FB group that posts pics of their local Lego Store PAB Wall.

helpful if you want to trade/buy/learn
  • floridabrickfloridabrick Central FLMember Posts: 100

^^ agreed.  My store is the Disney Springs store which I believe has one of the biggest walls and also has to be the busiest store on the planet.  I go several times a month and used to make sure I found any elements that were new.  Drastic change since the whole Pick a Model thing started a year ago or whatever it was.  It became a waste of time so I stopped checking every visit.  Rarely was anything being added or changed out other than the model stuff. 

It used to be what seemed like completely random distribution that stores got, which naturally generated some really good finds depending on the time and place.  But now it seems like it's been standardized where stores are generally all getting the same stuff, and a lot less often.  Hasn't had a positive effect, if you ask me. 

• 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,834
    Two bins at my local Lego Store contain a hodge Podge of pieces. 
    prevere
  • JenniJenni USAMember Posts: 1,236
    @floridabrick It is standardized now but it wasn't random before. What you got was based on how conscientious your store employees were, the best stuff disappeared quickly.

@77ncaachamps Mine did that with all the leftovers from the giraffe.
    77ncaachampsfloridabrickkiki180703
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 794
    Two bins at my local Lego Store contain a hodge Podge of pieces. 
    We have one bin like that at the Bellevue, WA store.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 480
    Yes, since the company stopped selling grab bags, the availability of finding pieces at one store's PAB wall that aren't at another store's PAB wall has been marginalized.

As reported many places, LEGO is unable to keep up with world-wide demand for their product - and so controlling the parts and colors of parts sold of PAB walls seems to be a side effect of the Lego Groups ability to not keep up with global demand.

I miss the days when I could look at the sets coming out and kind of guess which parts/colors were showing up in small quantities during that sales-cycles sets, knowing that those pieces were probably over-produced, thus they'd show up on PAB walls when the colors and pieces being used during the next round of sets came out.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,085
    I stopped in the St. Louis store last week and was surprised to find sand green 1x1 bricks and 1x2 plates on the PAB. The plates were gone but they still had the 1x1.  
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 765
    mathew said:
    I stopped in the St. Louis store last week and was surprised to find sand green 1x1 bricks and 1x2 plates on the PAB. The plates were gone but they still had the 1x1.  

I think those have been available for at least a month. And at one of the my local stores, the plates were gone about a week ago... but I have not been to the other stores lately, so who knows.

Maybe I should pay them a visit this weekend and fill a small cup with those; I still have one Nexo Knight King's Guard calendar coupon to redeem ;)
    mathew said:
    Yeah, they did not have those in the display but I asked the store manager if they had any sand green parts in back and they had the 1x1 brick; grabbed a half cup full as I think you can never have enough sand green parts with the irregularity of the appearances in sets. I keep missing the plates though. A bit amazing to me that those are gone before the brick.
  • sdetskysdetsky Member Posts: 34
    At my local store the sand green parts and some other parts were labelled with something like "Customer Favourites" and I was told that commonly requested colours/parts will show up every so often as a boon for more dedicated Lego enthusiasts.