Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Leading other people into the hobby

renzo_prenzo_p Member Posts: 15
HALLELUJIAH! Starting yesterday, I have just converted by girlfriend into a fellow lego fanatic.

Before this she was always just took Lego with a grain of salt, she knew I was crazy about them and would support it but never really thought anything of it. Was over yesterday and saw my giant stack of unopened Hobbit sets. Decided she wanted to build the Dol Guldur ambush set and instantly wanted to build everything I had left after that!

Now she wanted to open all my other sets and build them all AND she went home and order a tower of Orthanc and a couple Modulars to build together (I think im in love at this point haha)

The only downside is that she insists that every set MUST be built together from now on and knowing that I buy sets almost on the weekly, the temptation is too much not to open!

How have you brought others into the Hobby?
Andor

Comments

• AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    Great Man, I would do that to. But...There is only one problem to, I don't have a girlfriend to convert into a Lego fanatic. It must be hard not to open those set. I would buy just as often as you if a had a constant source of income. Enjoy building. :-)
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,313
    My girlfriend started to get interested in Lego with the Friends animal packs, she likes cute animals so you know and we've always played the TT Lego video games together. Earlier in the year she was looking through one of my Lego Harry Potter and decided she wanted some Harry Potter Lego, now shes pretty hooked, nowhere near as much as me but enough to be more interested in the new sets I get.

Also it was my brother's birthday at the begining of the month and he's even more of a nerd than me, so I got him the Ecto-1...the seed is planted!
    GothamConstructionCo
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,831
    I got a friend converted and he is pretty into it. This guy makes pretty good money as a millwright so the high Lego prices don't hurt him to much (he bought a $1000 katana because he thought it would look cool under his Dead Pool poster :P) and he wanted a cool Tumbler bust so I told him about the UCS Tumbler and now he is hooked on the Batman sets, at least on the ones that aren't "kiddy".
  • adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
    Yeah my wife's not interested at all. As we have a young family as well as me working full time and playing competitive football my lego time is very limited.

As the kids get older though I'm certain it's something we can enjoy together.

She's happy enough for me to do it as long as it's self funded. Which generally means looking for deals and purchasing in sales.

My friends on the other hand like to try and give me a ribbing/wind me up. They are of the opinion it's a bit sad but I think secretly they wouldn't mind getting involved. However like slot of people they view it like a toy so prob worried how others would judge them (I don't care! Haha)
  • Bluefairy_56Bluefairy_56 Member Posts: 320
    I started buying Lego sets (Harry Potter) in Feb. this year. Hubby saw what I was doing and I bought him a set too (City) and he's been hooked ever since, I reckon we now have about $2,500 worth of sets, maybe more. I can't believe how much we have spent on it so far, but I still have my wish list to get lol and hubby wants the Technic Volvo as well. So our expenses are going up all the time. But isn't that how it's supposed to be? :-)
    bobabricksrenzo_p
  • renzo_prenzo_p Member Posts: 15
    @bobabricks‌ just curious whats a millwright? must be something I should look into then! I mean a $1000 katana ?!?! geez !

@adventure_al‌ I would suspect the mates try to give you a hard time! haha I mean competitive football and Lego arent really a familiar match!

@Bluefairy_56‌ I would love to finish off Harry Potter sets If they werent so darn expensive haha we're currently rounding off the rest of the Hobbit and LOTR line. Although, she is keeping an eye on the Doctor Who sets on the IDEAS page
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,831
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    I've gotten a few of my friends hooked. It didn't take much though, I found the easiest thing to do is take them on a field trip to the local brand store (later on a week night when its not so busy). Once they decide to get something and check out, they always get the VIP program and its all over from there.
    ...of course most of my friends are already pretty nerdy/geeky which I think you need to be to get into a hobby such as this.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 1,840
    I have had mixed results with getting my wife into it. We have built a couple of the Creator houses together which she thoroughly seemed to enjoy and left me thinking, this is it! I did it! Only to see that passion wane over the coming days and weeks after completing the build.

These days I can't even mention LEGO without that typical "oh hubby what are you doing?" comment surfacing.
    AndorMordoor