Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Talk About Old Lego!

I really feel like there should be a big topic about classic Lego. The homepage articles are very nice and i'd like a topic to accompany it.

So, feel free to talk about old Lego! Town, Space, Trains... and all of their subthemes!

Comments

• SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 536
    I miss the simplicity of the old Town sets, the ones I used to buy on impulse - and funnily enough the basic heads were part of the appeal! City just doesn't do it for me.
    TXLegoguy
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 398
    To me old is 50s or 60s Lego sets. CA, not ABS. I'm no where old enough to have seen these sets back in the day (I'm a child of the 80s), but sets (and other Lego toys) that pre-date me have long had a fascination for me.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,895
    Sigh.... my given alias on Eurobricks is "Older than ABS".... that I am.... :-(

I've been around since Ole Kirk's family were just pauper millionaires....
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    Bring back the Monorail!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,882
    If you want to talk / read about old lego, I suggest you click on Istokg's name (two posts above), and under activity look at the discussions he has created. There is loads of interesting information there.
  • WoutStopmotionWoutStopmotion Member Posts: 33
    Eh, yeah, i understand i excluded everything but 80's-90's Lego in my post. I do have some REALLY old Lego, my dad used to have a box full of it which i got a couple of years ago.

I have an old dark-green tree element not like a nowadays Lego tree but just a 4x1 round-edged plate with a cut-out plastic tree on it. I also have blue-track train wheelbases and some blue track itself, some blue 1x6 bricks with different German place names on them (i have no idea what they're from), some 1x2's with "LEGO" on them, a few 1x1's with Danish letters on them, a couple of 1x2's with hospital plusses, some 1x6's with "POST" and a logo on them, some old red wheels, an unassembled 390 1913 Cadillac (and two halfs of the manual), some boat hulls, and a ton of old bricks. Some time ago my dad found a 358 Rocket Base at a thrift shop and brought it home for me (i paid him back), but it was incomplete. Feel free to watch the world's worst unboxing of it here.

I've tried guessing what sets the bricks are from, i think 158, 600, 605, 311 (unsure about this, there's lots of other boats. I do have a few red hulls as i said but i think i have more than this boat has), and 390. I still wouldn't know what the tree piece, the German place bricks, the LEGO bricks, the Danish lettering bricks, and the POST bricks are from. Can anyone help, maybe?
  • adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
    Divers was a great range

As was leisure and outback (they were town right?)
    edited September 2014
    Yes, those where both subthemes. I have set 6665 River Runners from the Leisure subtheme. Originally i was planning to get 6444 Outback Airstrip from the Outback subtheme, but instead liked 6665 a lot more, mainly because it contained a few things i wanted from 6444 but was cheaper.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,078

Bring back the Monorail!

If I had a dollar for every time someone says bring back the monorail, I could afford a monorail set.
    Lego_Lord_Mayorcamatticus_bricks
    It'd be awesome, but i really think they should remain collectible items.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 397
    I suppose anything not currently available directly from Lego (i.e. discontinued or retired) is "old Lego", so that includes sets from as recent a year as 2012 to all the way back to the dim, formative years of Lego's ascendency to the plastic throne with "Interlocking Binding Bricks".

When I talk about "old Lego", I mainly think about Lego sets from the 20th century. The century division works nicely with the division between my childhood years and my teenage years, as well as Lego's near-downfall and resuscitation thanks to Star Wars, BIONICLE, and the new CEO in 2004, all coinciding at roughly the same point in time, leading to the Lego Company that we know of today. It was a very different world back then, as I'm sure even older AFOLs would love to point out.

I try to be impartial, but I feel like the period of 1987 to 1996 was something of a "Golden Age" for the Lego System. I specifically mean the SYSTEM, mind you, not necessarily Lego as whole, though, for all intents and purposes, the Lego System was nigh-inseparable from the public perception of Lego, especially once Lego began branding set boxes with the iconic "SYSTEM" logo (remember the red 2x4 brick atop the "T"?). In this period, I find sets that still stand out today as exemplars of their theme, better than any that have come before, and have rarely seen any other sets made since then that rival them.

My evidence? In Town, you have beauties like the Launch and Load Seaport, the Metro Park and Ride, and the Surf n' Sail Marina. In Space, you have both Blacktron 1 and 2, Space Police 1 and 2, and the introduction of the MONORAILS. In Castle, you see the rise of the Black Knights and their sumptuous castle from 1992, not to mention the prevalence of Forestmen and Wolfpack renegades so high sought after even in today's age of ogres and dwarves. Royal Knight's Castle in 1995 took things to a whole new level in terms of size, so that theme was validated. Pirates was INVENTED in this era, so I don't need to regale you with all the mighty sets that came forth from that theme. Even "non-System" themes like Technic had stand-outs like the #8880 Super Car. Trains even had the pinnacle of development with 9V railways that featured an excellent assortment of trains, trucks, and marvelous stations.

Looking before this time period, you see that it stood on the shoulders of giants that came before. The Super Car of 1994 is so great because it built upon its predecessors from the 1970s onward. The Castle majesties of the early 90s were developed from the good castles that Lego presented throughout the 80s. Plus, technology was changing. Molds for more complex things like horses and various architectural touches brought a new sense of realism to sets, a greater level of complexity that set the tone for Lego: a children's toy with vast potential to grow with the child, all the way up to the interesting conclusion of adulthood, in which it can still be relevant and appreciated. Say what you will about the specialization of pieces, but without specialized parts, would there be as many older fans of Lego craving the simple brick and plate sets that look more or less the same as the ones their parents grew up on?

Now, this Golden Age does not preclude a new era of Lego greatness. Perhaps we will look on these years someday just as fondly. A "Silver Age" of Lego, perhaps! I could go on, especially onto specific great, old sets, but I will reign it and return discussion to the floor.
    matticus_bricksWoutStopmotionThe_Mad_Vulcan
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,078
    edited September 2014
    Agree with @Lego_Lord_Mayorca‌ . However I think the 'golden age' started earlier though, about 1980 through to about 1996 (before the 'dark times'). All the sets in the time period for City specifically dealt with a lot of themes, not just police and firefighters, you had the Airport, and Main street as well. Some of the best train sets were arguably 12V and those were only prevalent in the mid 80's. 1984-85 probably had some of the best city sets released.
    Space was classic, and good in its simplistic ways, and had 32x32 crater plates. All large sets came with big old 32x32 base plates no 8x16 cheats. Airports had more than just a plate for the building itself, but had plates for the aircraft to land and take off from. LEGO was very diversified and had new interesting with parts like briefcases and 1x2 tiles with grill coming out then.
    The boxes were wonderfully designed with windows to see the set you were getting with the plastic insert showing what was some of the figures and special parts looked like in the set (hard to strip the contents of a box if you saw everything in the box before buying).
    And the birth of 9V with some pretty big train sets came out as well
    Castle was awesome despite the range of parts available. Classic Gray was king. 6080 probably one of the best Castle sets made, and figures still are awesome from that line with the Black falcons, Lions crest and the Shield crest torsos.
    And there was no obsession with SNOT technique. While SNOT it neat, I think it takes away from the fact it is LEGO and really LEGO scale IMO.

But again I'm biased, I know I am and freely admit it. While I love the sets out now specifically train and Mods, nothing will replace the sets I grew up with in the 80's