Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Cloud City?

B0SSKB0SSK In the PubMember Posts: 175
Guys,

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but is there any liklihood of lego ever re-releasing a cloud city set?? Thoughts please....

Regards

The yellow reptile-like bounty hunter :)

Comments

• matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 646
    That would be great! With the level detail that is given to sets today, and the variety of colors, a new Cloud City set would probably look amazing. I'm not sure if it's likely though, with the new trilogy upcoming and the popularity of the cartoons. I don't think TLG will put much focus into class Star Wars in favor of new material.
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 608
    edited September 2014
    as with anything in Lego we just don't know till Lego leaks something. currently there is no proof for, or against Cloud City returning. rumors have been circulating lately (over at Eurobricks) that it might be returning soon, but these all stem from guesses made about a "large display" due into Lego stores in January. nothing more. so I personally believe that, yes a re-release will happen. But at this point there is no evidence that supports its return, and no reason to think it is coming back anytime soon.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,158
    It will happen one day, but neither I nor anyone else has any real idea when.
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 503
    Isn't the general consensus that the original Cloud City sold poorly, which prompted Lego to pull the set from the shelves early, causing a shortage of the set in the aftermarket (hence the ridiculous aftermarket prices)?
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 608
    @natro220 in general yes that's what most speculate. the Idea talked about at Eurobricks (and one i think could work very well) is that Lego should release not a $100+ set but several $30-$80 sets that can combine much like Jabba's Palace and the Rancor pit. this would enable people to buy scenes they like cheaply, while also motivating people to get them all to finish the "whole thing" and it would keep each individual purchase low instead of 1 larger hit to the wallet. it could also result in a combined set costing more over all than a single set but having far more detail and likely quality. what sounds better spending $350 (slowly) and getting say... 7 sets (average of $50 a set) or dropping $250, one time, on a single set but it depicts all 7 of those scenes? the Collectors and AFOLs will probably buy it either way, but the non-fan parents wont want to spend hundreds on a single set, but could probably pick up a couple sets.

over all, Cloud City scenes (any and all of them) have been highly neglected over the years. In fact not counting Slave I, or Millennium Falcons, there have been a total of 2 sets in system/minifig scale. the Twin-pod Cloud Car, and Cloud City its self.
    madforLEGO
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 626
    Disney taking over Star Wars has made it almost a guarantee that we'll see another Cloud City set in one form or another. They're going to milk the franchise dry.
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    GIR3691 said:

Disney taking over Star Wars has made it almost a guarantee that we'll see another Cloud City set in one form or another. They're going to milk the franchise dry.

Milk away! A new Cloud City would be great. I've been itching for a Bespin Luke without having to pay an arm and leg.
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    I like the thoughts of some on the UCS Slave I that obviously missing characters might be because they are scheduled for upcoming sets. I'm not sure how much substance the idea has, or if it's just wishful thinking.

@GallardoLU‌'s thoughts on modular type scenes a la Jabba's palace would be good. We had those in 2012/13, and have had a few episode IV sets this year, maybe ESB is on its way round?

And I wonder if the fact that ESB ends with defeat, and all the action in Cloud City is very personal, dark (torture!), but without the action of Hoth, and ends very badly, I wonder if that's why TLG have steered away from it.
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,238
    Disney may well (will) milk the SW brand dry but don't forget they have 5 movies and a TV show to promote over the next decade, and who knows what else we don't know about yet, chances are the majority of stuff will be in support of that rather than older OT sets, that said I am sure we will have OT sets, but I am guessing only a few a year. I really doubt cloud city is on the top of their list as a big set, maybe a few smaller scenes, carbon freeze chamber or father son duel. Not much more that than would be my guess, but even that would be nice.
  • JdurgJdurg Member Posts: 18
    I think a lot of the Cloud City rumors are due to the characters from those scenes in the movie coming out in recent sets. You have the Slave I UCS coming out which has a Bespin Guard and the minifigs to re-enact the scene from ESB where the Slave I takes off. In the past few years, you had the Bespin Planet set with a flesh-colored Lobot minifig in there. Bespin and Dagobah are the two areas from the OT that haven't had a whole lot of sets from. (For Dagobah, you only have the old X-Wing that had Yoda's hut in there. Bespin simply has the twin cloud car planet set, and the original Cloud City). It would just seem logical that a major Cloud City set would be on the way. Of course, this is Lego so it's difficult to predict.

I am on the crowd that thinks a bunch of modular sets would work best. For Cloud City, they could release a Carbon Freeze Chamber set with the Ughnauts(sp?), Han in Carbonite, etc. They could also release a "dinner table" set with Darth Vader, some Stormtroopers, Leia, Han, etc. You'd have the Vader/Luke duel area that could connect, the droid/furnace area where Chewbacca found C-3PO, the Prison area, etc. etc. Each of them would be prime to have plenty of minifigs to conduct a scene, and they could all be connected together to create an "Ultimate" Cloud City. Hell, I think a Carbon Freezing Chamber with Leia, Chewbacca, Boba Fett, Darth Vader, Lando Calrissian, and some Ughnauts(sp?) would sell MASSIVELY on its own.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 341
    The reason Cloud City has not been rereleased: LEGO is still trying to figure out how to put C3-PO in a backpack mounted to Chewie.
    bobabricksGalactus
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,831
    If a Cloud City set comes out do you think the exclusive minifigures from the old set will devalue? I just spent $80 on Lando and I'm scared the value will drop if a new set come out.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,313
    Think of it this way, are you ever planning on selling that Lando? If not then was the $80 at time of purchase a good price? The future price only really matters if you plan on selling, otherwise it might just be a case of having paid a premium for extra time with that minifigure. If you are planning on selling it at some point the game becomes predict what TLG will do and try to sell at the best time - frankly good luck with predicting TLG's actions.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,242
    edited September 2014

If a Cloud City set comes out do you think the exclusive minifigures from the old set will devalue? I just spent $80 on Lando and I'm scared the value will drop if a new set come out.

Probably not, as it will be a different minifigure that comes out in future.

New Boba Fett minifigures have come out since the old set, and yet CC Boba is still worth a lot.
    GIR3691 said:

They're going to milk the franchise dry.

An alternative view is that they might just continue making new sets year on year and occasionally make a new version of a scene or ship they did years ago. What would you prefer to milking the franchise? Only doing part of it then stopping, like LOTR?
    bobabricks
  • B0SSKB0SSK In the PubMember Posts: 175

The reason Cloud City has not been rereleased: LEGO is still trying to figure out how to put C3-PO in a backpack mounted to Chewie.

LOL !!!!!

I like the idea of a modular cloud city product range, with all the modules making the complete city. That really is a brilliant idea as it allows parents to afford sets, and AFOLs will buy them too. Is there a way to communicate directly with lego and tell them what sets we want?! (I doubt it)

The other option is via the lego cussoo/ideas route? (sadly I dont have nearly enough pieces to build a moc/cussoo modular set :(

My favourite film of all time is empire, so I really do want a yoda/dagobah set, and the cloud city. We have had far too much hoth stuff over the years, it time for some new sets. We can but wait and hope.....
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,914
    In an infinite universe, anything is possible.
    And more to the point, in the finite universe of Star Wars merchandise, there is a high probability of Lego making a Cloud City again...one day.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,731
    edited September 2014
    kor said:

I've been itching for a Bespin Luke without having to pay an arm and leg.

How about a hand?
    Jdurg said:

I am on the crowd that thinks a bunch of modular sets would work best.

Whether or not it would work best is probably irrelevant because it's extremely unlikely LEGO would do it.

The problem with Cloud City is the lack of vehicles. Looking back through OT sets since fleshies were introduced, the number that don't include a vehicle can be counted on one hand ( #7749, #8083, #9516, #75005, and #75034 ). If LEGO made only two non-vehicle sets based on the relatively action-oriented opening scenes of ROTJ, is it likely they would make more than two based on Cloud City?

I think if Cloud City is going to be done, it will be as an exclusive playset like the Death Star or Ewok Village (and like those, will probably include a token vehicle). A typical wide release set (or sets) would leave retailer shelves warm and AFOLs disappointed.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,242
    Jdurg said:

I am on the crowd that thinks a bunch of modular sets would work best. For Cloud City, they could release a Carbon Freeze Chamber set with the Ughnauts(sp?), Han in Carbonite, etc. They could also release a "dinner table" set with Darth Vader, some Stormtroopers, Leia, Han, etc. You'd have the Vader/Luke duel area that could connect, the droid/furnace area where Chewbacca found C-3PO, the Prison area, etc. etc. Each of them would be prime to have plenty of minifigs to conduct a scene, and they could all be connected together to create an "Ultimate" Cloud City. Hell, I think a Carbon Freezing Chamber with Leia, Chewbacca, Boba Fett, Darth Vader, Lando Calrissian, and some Ughnauts(sp?) would sell MASSIVELY on its own.

The other problem with modular type sets is people buying out one of them. If one of them has desirable army builders (stormtroopers), then it may well get bought out in much higher quantity than the others. This causes a problem for the sales of the other scenes, if nobody wants them when they cannot complete the bigger set.
    They could make the modular or complete cloud city with an optional landing pad for the 7965 falcon. This could be made from a 48x48 basplate with curved corner extension plates. Or they could include (or a seperate set) and decent cloud car.
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    Landing pads would be amazing, you could get one for the Falcon and one for Slave I, but I can't believe they'd release one in a set on its own, even with something like a Cloud Car. To be the size it needs to be it would have be too much of the set.
    The idea of individual modules for sale so you could build your own scene would be amazing, but I would be utterly flabbergasted if TLG did that!

The most likely thing to me would be maybe two sets like Jabba's Palace:
    A main set with a landing pad, corridor, dining area, and maybe even the detention area. Figures could be Lando, Lobot, Han, Leia, Chewie, maybe R2, 3PO and an Ugnaught or two, or a Bespin Guard.
    And a second set with the carbon freezing chamber and surrounding fight areas. Figures with that might be Luke, Vader, Han in carbonite, maybe the Bespin Guard and Lobot instead of in the first set.
    As I say, a Cloud Car with a landing pad would be amazing, but I'd think the main set would come with a Cloud Car, or it would be a cheap vehicle on its own, Snowspeeder style.

I reckon that would be a good couple of sets, and if it were like that you could get a couple of the main sets to get two landing pads and make a more expansive Cloud City. Pity I'm just an AFOL speculating I guess! :P
    As lego already have the mould for the han in carbonite, it would be easy for a new carbon freezing chamber to be designed to incorporate that piece. (lower han into the chamber, and a slide out or rack and pinion gear could eject the han in carbonite piece from the side of the chamber ! I might even have a go at building one !!! (if time permits and the wife and kids and dog allow me some free time !)
    @B0SSK I actually built one a while ago. I used a Techinic lift arm type system that when Han Solo was pushed down the carbonite came up.
  • epyon396epyon396 Member Posts: 268
    I have an extension for my Chrome browser that changes every instance of the word "cloud" to the word "butt".
    All this talk of Butt City is really amusing.
    WoutStopmotion
    epyon396 said:

I have an extension for my Chrome browser that changes every instance of the word "cloud" to the word "butt".
    All this talk of Butt City is really amusing.

Are you talking out of your cloud?!!!
    kordougts
  • namioiknamioik Member Posts: 52
    edited September 2014
    They also made a Lobot figure with those planet series awhile back. Although it's no clear indication that a minifig scaled Cloud Car coming soon, it shows that TLG actually thinks of Bespin/Cloud City more than anyone can give credit for. Besides EU stuff, anything Lego has made for Star Wars in the past will EVENTUALLY appear again.
    edited April 2015
    Right, it's been about 7 months since I started this thread, and still no sign or even a hint of a rumour regarding lego ever making a new cloud city set.  I just do not get it. Someone needs to get a message to corporate lego and INSIST and DEMAND that they stop churning out naboo fighters, snowspeeders, AT-ATs and start work on a new cloud city set, AND a decent dagobar set too, oh and also a new Darth Vader tie fighter please too.   DO LEGO LIVE ON ANOTHER PLANET OR WHAT????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   We need these sets in the not too distant future.
    Renegade007cjh
    I'm afraid most of what is coming out in the near future will be Episode 7-9, plus the stand alone movies in between the years they make the standard ones...plus more Rebels since it's still going strong too. I think we'll be seeing much less OT and Prequel sets after this summer wave. Sorry..I too would love a Cloud City...
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 3,743 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,314
    I seriously want a Cloud City set, but maybe Lego has done their research and found it not to be a viable project. I want an Ewok Village sized Mos Eisley Cantina, we received an overpriced half-assed version instead :(
    bobabricks
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,085
    Pitfall69 said:
    I seriously want a Cloud City set, but maybe Lego has done their research and found it not to be a viable project. I want an Ewok Village sized Mos Eisley Cantina, we received an overpriced half-assed version instead :(
    Or even a Kwik-E-Mart sized Cantina.  
    I also believe that with new films and TV shows we have all but seen the last of OT and Prequils sets. There is something poetic about the last to OT sets of the year being the shuttle and the final dual, for me this really could signal the end of main system based OT sets and we 'oldies' live off UCS sets as the come out once or twice a year.

That said with he Ewok village and Sandcrawler going well, and if the rumored Hoth set does well then I can see cloud City getting remade at some point, there is enough there to justify a set, only time will tell, but even if it does come along it might not be for a while.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 1,771
    ^ By that logic, when Episode I came out, we should have seen the last of the OT sets... Hasbro would not be still making OT series figures... Yet, there they are, on shelf, right now in countless stores across the globe & on numerous website store. Just no.
    VorpalRyu said:
    ^ By that logic, when Episode I came out, we should have seen the last of the OT sets... Hasbro would not be still making OT series figures... Yet, there they are, on shelf, right now in countless stores across the globe & on numerous website store. Just no.

When Episode 1 came out, there wasn't much else going on in the Star Wars world.  It's completely a different scenario, as not only are we getting a new Episode movie every other year for 5-6 years, we're also getting the stand alone movies in between each of those.  Also, the Rebels TV show should continue to have sets coming out for a few years, or however long it is on.  We may see an occasional OT set here or there, but it won't be like it has been the last 10 years or so, there just won't be the room on the shelves. 
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 777
    edited April 2015
    I reckon if Hoth does as well as Ewok Village then we'll get Cloud City next.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,201
    Like others have said, the likely route are Cloud City sets that will break up the city into different (and cheaper) sets: Vader's confrontation (dining area), C3PO getting blasted into bits/Chewy reassemble, and Carbonite chamber/final duel.
    Really I think those are the only scenes that could be done in terms of 'action'. Unless they do a Falcon or Slave 1 on a landing pad, which I do not see occurring due to cost (with UCS Salve 1 out, and LEGO apparently doing the Falcon for Episode 7)
    Trying to compair the the commercial market for Star Wars today compaired to back in 99 is a touch pointless. For starters the entire IP is now owned by a different company. Back in 99 Hasbro was only just getting back to a full production cycle after a few years out of the game, Lego themselves were only just got going into a produced run with a limited number of sets. Add in the fact that there was only one new film every few years to market and you are left with a lot of gaps to fill between movie promotions, also the entire franchise was built and marketed off the back of the OT.

Roll forward to today and Disney are going to be pushing a new film every year for the next 5 or more years as well as animated shows (the sequel to rebels is already being developed...) and a rumoured live action tv show, plus as owners of Marvel a full EU programme. All this is built on the here and now and with billions tied up in purchasing, producing and marketing all of that, disney will want everyone of their strategic partners to do the same, and that includes lego.

That doesn't mean we won't get OT or Prequils stuff, it just means there won't be much off it, as I said, I beleive the OT stuff is more likely to become UCS set with a price tag that can be swallowed by us OT fans who might be of a certain age and thus income? And let's not forget lego is a kids toy and kids are now growing up on clone wars, rebels and what is at the cinema today, it has been almost a decade since a Star Wars film was at the flicks.

the OT and Prequils will always get some attention but they are about to become the supporting act to the main show rather than the headline themselves.

i still see cloud city as a possibility but not for a while and only if Hoth sells well. We might even see so Prequils UCS first?
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,731
    Like others have said, the likely route are Cloud City sets that will break up the city into different (and cheaper) sets: Vader's confrontation (dining area), C3PO getting blasted into bits/Chewy reassemble, and Carbonite chamber/final duel.
    I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think the chances for this are pretty close to zero. LEGO's preference for vehicle-based sets, and Jabba's Palace and Rancor Pit almost always being discounted, suggests a set comprising C-3PO, Chewbacca, a couple Ugnaughts, a conveyor belt, an incinerator, and some piles of scrap isn't likely to be produced. The same can be said of a set comprising Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Han, possibly Leia, a door, and a dining table, though that probably has a better chance.

If any smaller, non-exclusive sets based on Cloud City are likely to be released, it's the carbon-freezing chamber and the gantry/reactor shaft. Those are really the only two scenes with enough action and recognition to warrant individual sets. The carbon-freezing chamber probably has the best chance because it serves as a backdrop for both the freezing and the beginning of the duel.
    natro220BumblepantsZathrasdougtsRainstorm26
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,085
    binaryeye said:
      The carbon-freezing chamber probably has the best chance because it serves as a backdrop for both the freezing and the beginning of the duel.
    Yeah, I'm really surprised that this hasn't been done as a stand alone set.  To do it right would require a lot of minifigs as you have two separate scenes.  They definitely need Luke, Darth, Han (including carbonite), Lando, Leia and Chewbacca (with busted C3PO).  A couple of Storm Troopers, Boba Fett and one of those ugly little pig faced dudes would round out things.
    At this damn rate I think I will just have to MOC the cloud city somehow.  There is a great cussoo project here but it is not getting much support sadly - https://www.flickr.com/photos/123402749@N03/
    It would be cool if we got something that is like #10188 that is the shape of Cloud City with the separate sections depicting scenes
    It would be cool if we got something that is like #10188 that is the shape of Cloud City with the separate sections depicting scenes
    Well said mate. But I am getting fed up with waiting now. It's all disney's fault.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,158
    ^ Something tells me that Disney didn't factor in the potential lack of a LEGO Cloud City when they decided to acquire the Star Wars franchise.
    matticus_bricksAdzbadboyobi_gBumblepantsgmonkey76Omastarkhmellymel
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 8,042
    Dag nabbit!  I thought the lack of a Lego Cloud City was PRECISELY why they acquired the franchise.
    zipsforbananaskhmellymel
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 216
    Well, they caught wind of a Lego Cloud City and that forced them to up the price and close the deal quickly!  Had to kill off any Cloud City sets!!!  
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 507

LEGO hasn't had enough time with a long-standing Disney franchise yet to really see if Disney will push for mainly new sets for constant promotion of upcoming films and shows or will leave room for some classic ships and places.

If the trailers are any indication of the new film(s), though, many of the iconic OT ships will be present, just not the locations. We will still get TIE, X-Wing, MF, etc. in new updates, but I expect fewer OT locations and scenarios. So it won't feel so much like the OT has gone away from the shelves, even though the minifigs are all NT (new trilogy? what is the designation for the upcoming films?).

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited May 2015
    ^There's no official designation from Disney or Lucas yet on what they want to refer to it as. But I kinda like 'ST' for Sequel Trilogy. So Prequel, Original, Sequel and Anthology for the Rogue Squadron and Un-titled off-shoot movie in the works.
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 860
    ^ only thing is some people might think ST stands for Star Trek. Otherwise I think we should just wait for Disney to put the label on them. As much as some people don't like Disney owning Lucas Films the deal is done and us "adults" are just going to have to deal with the fact that Lego and Disney are for kids
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 8,042
    Marvel is too, but that seems to be handled appropriately...
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited May 2015
    ^I'm a fan of Disney in general and believe them buying up Star Wars is a good thing for everyone, including their choice of destroying the EU which I agree with 100%. I feel the same about their ownership of Marvel too.

Disney is immortal and is not simply American culture, but is growing to be symbolic of the global pop culture. Mickey Mouse is a household name and friend of children to billions across the world even if English is not a shared language. It transcends these barriers we have between ourselves and targets the inner child in all of us. So now Luke, Vader, Ironman, Captain America, etc. will become global characters to be preserved over the course of near future, if not distant future.

And yes I'm waiting and wanting to hear how they'll term the next Trilogy. Whatever it is will be fine by me.
    pharmjodgmonkey76Kevin_HyattOmastarRainstorm26
  • KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 941
    ^ I could not disagree more with this. Disney have been a horrible company for many many years and have done little to enrich our global culture. I will not attempt to foul up this thread by giving a great long list of reasons why I don't like them, the internet is full of material if anyone is interested. If anyone is interested, this is a good starting point that is also quite funny;

http://bestforfilm.com/film-blog/10-reasons-disney-are-unspeakably-evil/