Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Lego set 242

caleecalee Member Posts: 3

Hi,
I recently got hold of an old Lego set model 242 consisting of 6 flags incl that of Lego flags
Does any one know the price of this in the market? i attached the photos

thank for advice

calee

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,003
    A used copy sold for around £24 on Bricklink within the last 6 months:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=242-1
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,895
    OK.... now for the questions.... (I'll put on my LEGO Sherlock Holmes hat)....

Since the 242 pack has 6 flags, that tells me this is a British LEGO Ltd. UK version of the set, since the continental European version only has 5 flags.

Since British LEGO started LEGO sales in 1960, they imported LEGO from Denmark until 1962, when the Wrexham Wales LEGO plant started production.

So did your box show "Made in Denmark" as seen in this first image??

British LEGO sold only a 242 flags pack from 1960-62... which had a mix of 6 out of 16 different flags (15 country flags + 1 LEGO flag)... where there was always a LEGO flag and a UK flag... plus a mix of others. Then in 1962 British LEGO Ltd. started sales of Flag Spare parts packs 242/1, 242/2 and 242/3... with 1 LEGO flag and 5 other specific country flags in each set.

So it might be possible that your 242 flag pack was made in early 1962 with contents made in Britain (at Wrexham Wales)... and had the 2nd stamp as shown below... made in Great Britain....

If your box doesn't have either stamp, it could be of continental European origins... and sold there instead...
    Oh.... and one last question.... since the flag poles all have a smooth base (not indented)... that dates the flags themselves to the style of 1957-65. Starting in 1966 they started having an indented base (like 1x1 round bricks of today).

If your flags are of UK origin... do they have a round top or flat top to the flags? I know that the UK flags with the indented base (starting in 1966) have a flat top... I was just wondering if your early type flags (if they're of the UK variety) have the round top or the flat top?

I'm trying to establish if UK flat top flags started with the flag type in 1966... or if they could have come earlier, such as when UK flag production started with the older flag types in 1962.

(Always looking to upgrade info in my LEGO Collectors Guide download!)
    Also.... here are all the flags that were possibly found in a 242 Flags Spare Parts Pack....

In 1966 when the tapered based flags were introduced, the Australian, rare Japanese, and very rare Faroe Islands flags were also introduced (with a different ridged pole Canadian flag introduced in 1969).
  • caleecalee Member Posts: 3
    Hi ,

Thank for the history lesson on Lego Flags.
    The flags are of round top.. i am not sure it is made from UK or Denmark as the sticker unfortunately as been tore off.

I also have set No 270, 271, 292, 293 ,280, 282

Shall update the photos later to a dropbox link later for yr view and update.

Calee
    edited September 2014
    Bummer.... the odds were that it is a 1960-62 set made in Denmark, and the sticker would likely have reflected that.

Is your 271 set a LEGO Traffic Police Set? (Or a Homemaker furniture set) The 271 Traffic Police Set is very rare... and only sold in Denmark, Norway and Netherlands.
  • caleecalee Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Set 271 is the homemaker funiture.

Am still unable to upload photo yet to the forum.. i dont know why.

Will try again.

Thank.

Calee