Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

What is the best way to build up mountains for MOC's?

When people create mountainous terrain for displaying their Lego sets, or for MOC displays, do you usually create the huge gray masses out of solid bricks? Or do you build a facade over a solid structure that is not Lego?

Comments

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,268
    edited October 2014
    I'm guessing both.
    I have heard people use random colored 2xX brick to build a large foundation for something (like a mountain) and then cover it with the brick/BURPs that will look like a hill or mountain terrain
    I think others have also used non-LEGO methods to build large structures due to the amount of brick (even space) that it would take to design something large.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 627
    Use filler brick and technic for support as needed, and then your desired earth-tones on top.

Like this.
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 504
    GIR3691 said:

Use filler brick and technic for support as needed, and then your desired earth-tones on top.

Like this.

Technic bricks - great idea, for some reason it never even crossed my mind. I have TONS of extra technic bricks I could use for filler....thanks!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,169
    Duplo works well too. connects with basic 2x2s etc and is cheap to come by used
    klatu003BuriedinBricks
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,416
    Duplo castle walls under a duplo 8 x16 plate give a 16 x 32 Lego stud platform to build off. Nice and strong with little weight, as it is completely hollow.
    klatu003BuriedinBricks
    Great ideas, thanks guys!
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,341
    I would also highly recommend the Duplo method. It tends to be lighter and fills space pretty easily. Using a framework of technic beams on the top layer is also useful for giving the upper level the support it needs.

How high are you trying to build up?
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,526
    edited October 2014
    Plus, with Duplo being (by) Lego, if you're eager to retain some sort of brand purity throughout the entire build (perhaps just for personal satisfaction in knowing it's ALL lego, even on unseen sections), then a substrata of Duplo is perfect to retain the build/brand integrity. The whole thing really is Lego. It's probably not important, but is perhaps nice to think. :o)
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 707
    NOW, I see this after I basically gave away a pile of Duplo that I got as a bonus with an Ebay purchased set a couple of years ago.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 627
    I've heard that using Duplo as filler isn't as stable as using LEGO. My LUG was discussing it for large-scale displays but several reported trying it with mixed results.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,925
    GIR3691 said:

I've heard that using Duplo as filler isn't as stable as using LEGO. My LUG was discussing it for large-scale displays but several reported trying it with mixed results.

Surely it depends how you build with it? ie, straight pillars or more interlinking formations, etc.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 707
    Are any peeps here willing to admit that they used plywood platforms? Or plastic platforms? I used a cheap shelf and cut down the legs to get my buildings elevated so the monorail could have a purpose for it's elevation. Then covered the void with castle-ish walls. Pretty crude, but it got the job done.
    EKSamTheBigLegoski
    iccarus said:

I would also highly recommend the Duplo method. It tends to be lighter and fills space pretty easily. Using a framework of technic beams on the top layer is also useful for giving the upper level the support it needs.

How high are you trying to build up?

Not ridiculously high, maybe a couple feet.
    legomatt said:

Plus, with Duplo being (by) Lego, if you're eager to retain some sort of brand purity throughout the entire build (perhaps just for personal satisfaction in knowing it's ALL lego, even on unseen sections), then a substrata of Duplo is perfect to retain the build/brand integrity. The whole thing really is Lego. It's probably not important, but is perhaps nice to think. :o)

Your line of thought is exactly why I posed this question. I think I'd feel funny if I knew the innards of the structures weren't Lego.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,416
    GIR3691 said:

It is as stable. Probably more so in a like-for-like build, since there are less connections and the studs have a similar strong clutch.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,869
    BURPs.

Pardon me. What was the question again?
    BuriedinBricksplasmodium
    edited October 2014
    @natro220 If it's available, I would suggest using DUPLO to raise things up, as it will provide more coverage on a taller build. I've been using it to support raised bases for over a year, without any stability issues at all. I have not gone super high on it though, mainly because DUPLO is actually kind of hard to find usable pieces in bulk.

I lucked out a couple of months ago and found someone selling large used lots of just 2x4 and 2x6 brick for like $0.18 each. They had thousands, but I only picked up about 300 and someone else bought them out. Kind of wishing I had gotten more at this point.
  • ProtProt Member Posts: 18
    Duplo sounds as a good idea, and it is definately legit, as lego builders use it themselves as well! (watch the movie of how they built bag end ) I also saw a movie of someone who used metal rails for the back of a city setup as train track fot the old 9v trains, worked quite nice!
  • BrickmanBrickman Ol' Brick SquareMember Posts: 42
    I usually make a frame out of bricks of what the mountain or hill will look like and then put the color bricks and plates you want to make a mountain or hill on top of it :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,268
    Duplo is LEGO, just bigger LEGO :-)
    I can see using it, it probably is a bit more cost effective to use Duplo as it takes up more space, then as @klatu003‌ noted, use a facade of LEGO to cover it up, or @Paperballpark‌ notes to use BURPs on the outside for mountain scenes.
    The other method, if you are someone that must only use LEGO, no DUPLO, and if you have a LEGO store nearby, is to go and stock up on 2xX brick at a PaB wall (Though I think even stores in the US are now stopping the practice of selling boxes of pieces), Though I imagine that gets pricey. Not sure how much LEGO brick can fit into one large cup if you cannot get a box (though I'm sure someone here knows that answer).
    Also have to keep in mind the amount of brick it can take to build something, even if it is only a foundation or support structure to be hidden. You can 'stagger' the brick to leave gaps ( I mean it can look like swiss cheese if it will be covered up buy a facade anyway), but still will use a lot depending on the size of the structure you are building (like a large mountain). When I first built a building I was a bit amazed how much blue brick it took me just to make a two story structure that was only about 14x14.

When I first built a building I was a bit amazed how much blue brick it took me just to make a two story structure that was only about 14x14.

There's a reason modulars come with 2000+ pieces, and a lot of them are 1x8 bricks!
    @madforLEGO I think it takes far more bricks to build up than people realize it does, especially with a larger footprint. Also, I have never had any doubts about the purity of my MOCs as a result of using DUPLO inside of them.

As for filling PAB cups with 2xX bricks, I seem to recall you can get 169 2x4s in a large cup, if stacked a certain way.
    Andor