Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

[US] Toys Я Us Deals

margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
edited December 2014 in Shopping USA/Canada

Comments

• Ladder19JTKLadder19JTK Hudson ValleyMember Posts: 193
    OK, so a good friend of mine work's for TRU in corporate at their headquarters in NJ. The reason we aren't seeing the good Lego deals this year is BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO. TRU has no debt through 2018....They're living large!!!
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 661
    Not a TRU deal, but I do have a TRU warning. Now that other stores are getting cleared out, be aware TRU has started raising prices on some sets. As a example, I picked up the last #42000 Racer from a TRU tonight. On Friday, it was $129, tonight it was marked up to $159. Fortunately, they will price match their website, so I got it for MSRP, but buyer beware.
  • veedubguy83veedubguy83 Member Posts: 29
    Whatever happened to the Buy one get one 40-50% off deals? They used to run those multiple times a year. I haven't seen one in a long time!
    TXLegoguy
  • chefn58chefn58 Member Posts: 2
    Not sure about the BOGO 40% deal. I was waiting for it to get my kids the advent calendars and it never came. Almost missed out on the sets completely!
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 718
    edited December 2014
    ^^Yeah, the TRU Lego BOGO50 seems to be fading away. In 2011 (my first year getting back into Lego), TRU ran the BOGO50 one or more weeks in November and multiple weeks in December. They also had coupons like $10 off $100 (or something like that) with no Lego restrictions. I bought multiple Maersk Trains and numerous other sets; good times!

To add to what Ladder19JTK stated, I would guess it's a combination of factors. TRU was able to kick the (debt) can down the road a bit (most debt appears to have been refinanced to be due in 2016-2018), but also, the economy is arguably better than it was in 2011. Therefore, people may not need to be enticed as much to buy as they did in 2011.

From a purely selfish perspective, I miss 2009-2011. Just by good fortune and hard work, my wife and I were earning more than we ever had previously, and the sales/discounts (at retail places like TRU, casual restaurants etc) were fantastic. An excellent situation if you were able to take advantage of it, though I of course realize not everyone was as fortunate. Now it seems like the discounts are few and far between everywhere- no fun for frugal people like us!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-03/toys-r-us-buys-time-at-1-million-elsas-distressed-debt.html
    ThirdBuckEyeBob123
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    ^This move will put them under in three years....

Bad business will continue to be bad business
    pharmjodTXLegoguy
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 557
    edited December 2014
    Friday & Saturday only - #70816 Benny's Spaceship $79.99 (or $71.99 if you use your TRU CC Saturday).

9 other sets are 20% off TRU's normal price. Here's the list.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,847
    ^All of the Star Wars sets are sold out at Lego.com so this would be a good chance to grab an AT-TE,Z-95, Sail Barge or JEK-14.
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 661
    TRU also has an in-store deal for Friday & Saturday where you get a free copy of the LEGO Movie on DVD with lego purchases over $60. Both TRU's I was at today were already out, but if you're spending the $60 already, might be worth checking.
  • Ladder19JTKLadder19JTK Hudson ValleyMember Posts: 193
    Not a deal but I was unsure where to post this....TRU has listed Series 6 minifigures for sale on their website......and NOW they have just gone unavailable.......
    TurboBuffaloGumbo
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,775
    edited December 2014
    Spend $60 on our stuff and we'll give you a free 2-hour commercial - pretty smart marketing move to keep the movie mojo going until the Batman and Movie 2 come out.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,998
    VaderX said:

^This move will put them under in three years....

Bad business will continue to be bad business

Then again didn't people say 3 years ago that TRU would have been buried by now?
    Does TRU have a terrible business plan? Yes, it seems like they WANT to fail, but they still continue to be around. People keep overpaying for items at the store, which means bonus money for TRU.

I miss the BOGO50, even 40, sales, but after their increased 'retail' prices plan, most of those offers meant you paid true (pardon the pun) retail prices of the 2 items, that and with the exclusives no longer being discounted, it really was not worth it to me to go to TRU, unless it was some special polybag, or set you really could not get anywhere else (including LEGO), or the rare good deal to be had, which is sadly more the exception and not the rule nowadays.
    Last year around Christmas was an aberration IMO with TRU discounting some of their LEGO really well (including door busters). But they must have found and fired the guy that came up with that idea because this year has been pretty barren at TRU.
    VaderXBrickapolis
  • scotty12scotty12 United States, IowaMember Posts: 580
    I went into TRU today to pick up a couple of the #42000 Grand Prix Racers. I thought I'd just get 2...they had 5. Price of $159...then I price matched their own website of $129. Then I was talking to a manager and he mentioned that I'd get another 10% for Saturday purchase along with the 15% for signing up for a TRU credit card. So I thought...25% off I'd get 4 and I threw on a Bennys spaceship that was $80. So I sign up for the process......pending. So pending doesn't give me any discount. What a waste of time. I make enough, own my own home...but the easy signing up netted me nothing...they said I'd be able to use the 10% maybe next month.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 839
    They had the Star Wars AT-AT #75054 on sale for $89 Friday and Sat.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 718
    scotty12 said:

...but the easy signing up netted me nothing...

Not true- you probably got dinged a few points on your credit report for signing up. That's something! If they didn't deliver on the discount because of the "pending" status, I would have had them just cancel the application (if possible). What a waste of time...
    ^ We went thru it twice...and I cancelled both times. It's only a 3-4 question process. Email address, gender, own or rent and income. It's not like it too a lot of time. It was more of a disappointment of not getting the 'sign up discount'. I even went back and grabbed more Lego because of the 25% discount and double rewards points. I ended up putting it all but a couple #42000 Grand Prix back.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    Lots of new sets available and in stock.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Rakuten.com for lego thru TRU. Use code VISA15OFF and visa checkout for $15 off $50. Use code HOLIDAYCHEER for 15% in points. Go thru your fave affiliate for another 5% off.
  • blarghiflarghblarghiflargh Member Posts: 99

Rakuten.com for lego thru TRU. Use code VISA15OFF and visa checkout for $15 off $50. Use code HOLIDAYCHEER for 15% in points. Go thru your fave affiliate for another 5% off.

Thanks, got a good deal on Dol Guldur Attack.
    Just out today that my only local TRU is closing. The only thing anyone knew was the building was sold...not knowing if they're relocating or just closing. But just about everything in the store was 20% off...including Lego.
    One of my TRU's is closing too. All Lego 20% off. Not sure it's worth the drive or not.
    ^ I browsed but I didn't buy anything....most stuff is still overpriced and I figured I'd get the runaround if I asked them to price-match and then give me the 20% off. I tried it a year or two ago and I was told I could do one or the other...not both. My TRU just announced the store closing yesterday and is closing at the end of January. So hopefully then discounts steadily increase rapidly. But then again TRU could double or triple the prices of everything in the store and announce everything is 10% for store closing and people would have shopping carts full of stuff.
    My store closes at the end of the year. I might go over in a few days or I might not. The rest of the store is supposedly 40% off.
  • thecleatorthecleator Member Posts: 70
    @Margot is your Toysrus next to a buffet king? That one just announced closing. Its mine too
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,053
    They say that there will be up to 100 TRU stores closing in the next couple of months....
  • kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,039
    Does anyone have a full list of the stores that are closing? I tried googling but couldn't find anything
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,053
    I tried looking for a full listing aswell...
  • ReliantReliant Member Posts: 68
    Dang that's a bummer hope they don't close the ones by me :(
    edited December 2014
    Closing stores should show as not having inventory lookup available if that helps at all.
    20% off all Lego, should go to 30 and 40% each week if anything is left. my store had several new sets including the Technic Arctic set. If there were any new superheroes they got wiped. I found a few SW series 2 micro sets and a couple of the new beach houses. I'm going to try to go back next week for a technic plane and cargo train if they are left.
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 796
    I'd love to see a list...
    I was told that the reason for the closings was because of online shopping and all of the theft the stores experience.
    Waterloo, Iowa is one closing. They sure are closing in a hurry. Usually stores drag it out...but less than 30 days? My TRU was pretty much fully stocked with Lego...except for Friends which was wiped out from X-Mas. I still walked away with nothing...The few things I was interested in were still $10-30 overpriced. If they'd price match their own website and then give me 20% that's a different story.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 732
    In the Cary TRU yesterday and very, very little LEGO on sale. It is pathetic. At least they should give a free promo polybag with a purchase if there are no sales to speak of. Why should I buy anything before they run a promo?
    Very sorry for the folks losing their TRU stores. It is nice being able to drop in and see in person what is new...often before it arrives in our LEGO store. And some of the special TRU onlu sets are quite decent. But it is hard to see how running most toy stores is very profitable today with costs so high and so much competition.
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 853
    ^ Yep! Entitled enough not to pay full retail or above retail at a store that's closing when I can buy it at those prices at any store or online years down the line. Aren't we all acting entitled?? 90% of every discussion in the "US/UK Shopping" is about getting or not getting bargains and people complaining about the lack of deals on Black Friday and LEGO. So I sincerely apologize if I've offended everyone.
  • KralaskanKralaskan Member Posts: 208
    It is a ripoff that TRUS website has sets cheaper than the local stores. Rare i ever find a good deal at our local store.
  • oansunoansun Member Posts: 87
    I thought all the B&M stores were matching TRU Online and even other retailers (like Amazon).
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 446
    They do match, it just sucks for people who don't realize that. I haven't bought a single item at TRUS without checking online first.
    chuckp
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,998
    Chubbles said:

They do match, it just sucks for people who don't realize that. I haven't bought a single item at TRUS without checking online first.

I avoid the issue altogether and just do not normally buy from TRU (unless it is something that is only available at TRU (ie special polybags), or is a really good deal with no haggling involved, which is rare at TRU). Why should I jump through hoops to get it cheaper at TRU when I can get it that cheap online/somewhere else and do not have to haggle about it, either? I'm sure there are some exceptions, but if TRU would just post their items at RRP many would not HAVE to price match.
  • ChubblesChubbles USAMember Posts: 446
    I just go there to browse, I like holding stuff in my Hand before I buy it
    Andor
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 805
    We had a local TRU close about a year ago. Just after it was announced, the LEGO aisle was cleared out. I didn't even see any signs saying x% off for closing. It was just empty. Very odd. But there was another TRU in that town that didn't close, so I don't know.

I agree, I avoid TRU at all costs. Even if prices are the same as MSRP (or cheaper), it is just too far out of the way for where I travel in town, that I couldn't make it up there if I tried. But since their prices usually are higher AND they don't have too many different things I couldn't just get from LEGO directly or another retailer, I skip out. The only time I've made purchases is if they have those unique figure polybags that you can't get elsewhere -- Rocket, Mirkwood Elf, Laketown Guard...
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 261
    On the subject of TRU PM'ing, it doesn't even matter what they're "supposed" to match; it just ends up being at the discretion of the CS rep. The TRU site has a list of approved competitors and I got shot down at 2 different TRUs trying to PM 2 different online prices, even though I repeatedly pointed out that their own website says those were approved stores (they were Lego and Sears, BTW).
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,246
    A department store near where I lived was doing majour renovations and so the toy department was closing during the 12 month upgrade.

Went in a few days before the closure and they had 75% of all toys, except that all the Lego had been removed. I spoke to a store clerk who advised that all the Lego was shipped to another store as they had no problem selling it.

The popularity of Lego ATM means that most stores have little need to do majour discounting on Lego.
    if I can get it lower via TRU with sales/coupons then I have no issue shopping there. I like the clerks at mine mostly
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,775
    There's TRU B&M, TRU online and TRU on eBay. I've seen different prices on the same set at the same time on all three outlets. That is a good way to tick off customers.
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 505
    ^Really I find the discount "deals" much more aggravating. TRU credit card discount, coupons, affiliate purchase rebates, discounts on gift cards, etc. Compound those with varying levels of compliance/enforcement and it seems like one has to work entirely too hard to realize the "best" price.
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 213
    TRU online now live with all the new releases. Have to laugh that Detective's Office has opened +$15 to RRP on TRU already.
    I dunno, they're a business. Shop@home doesn't have too many sales, and I don't see them as stackable. If you want the best price on something, I've always found that putting some work into it the best way. Otherwise there are plenty of options available where it's good enough. And that's fine. But I'm checking Target Cartwheel constantly, sales threads. Probably just me, but I'm a Sunday coupon cutter as well.
    30% off all Lego at my closing store this week. Manager said only 10 stores are closing nationwide. He said it's only where they owned the building and that they sold buildings to make a profit.