Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Arvo Brothers Akira bike model - questions for those who've built it.

bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 294
Hey everyone.

I'm deeply considering embarking on the journey to build this fantastic model. For those lucky few who have bought the book** and built the model, would you mind answering my few questions please?

1. I know there are some rare/expensive parts. Are there any of these which are not viewable externally and could be replaced by different coloured, cheaper parts? I'm mainly thinking of the x-pod lids. I believe the model requires 6, but I can see only four on the photos.

2. Would anyone be willing to sell their copy of the book? **The Brothers have sold out of the first print, and have no plans (yet) to do another. They also didn't want to release a PDF/electronic version.

3. If I'm successful in collecting all the parts would anyone be willing to loan me their copy so I can follow the instructions? I'm in Houston Texas. I'd pay for postage both ways.

Thanks!

Comments

• ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,599
    @bkpr, you may want to try to contact some of the brickset members that commented on the article about that book. Some mention having the book, others having the parts...
  • bkprbkpr Texas, USAMember Posts: 294
    Will do. Didn't think of that. Cheers.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,804
    I gave my review copy to someone who plans to build it, something I didn't think I'd ever get round to doing.
    Dang. Do you know whether they ended up building it? Maybe they could start a rental business ;P
    I should probably ask...
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 740
    edited December 2014
    I have a copy of the book, but it's packed up somewhere at the moment since we recently moved. I am in the process of sourcing the parts but at the rate I'm going it's going to be a multi-year effort.

However, the authors sent me an XML file with the parts inventory that you can upload to BrickLink, and I have made two corrections to it. One of the part numbers was invalid, so I fixed that. The other was that an eBayer who sourced all the parts and sold them told me that the inventory was missing one piece (quantity 4) that I have also added to the XML.

It seems the forum won't let me attach the XML file, and it's a bit too long to post here. If you PM me your email address I can send it to you if you want to take a look.
  • wayneggwaynegg Texas,USAMember Posts: 388
    edited December 2014
    Doesn't the back wheels require 2 lids on each side? If so, they're visible from the pictures of the model. I saw the new Star Wars 75085 Hailfire Droid at Target today and it appears to be using X-pod container lids for wheels, so perhaps they'll be used in other sets as well in solid colors or even available to order from bricks and pieces soon.
    @ricecake‌ the brothers also sent me the XML file and I've begun sourcing parts (expensive!). If you wouldn't mind letting me know the inaccuracies I'd greatly appreciate it.
    @bkpr There were two changes I had to make to the XML file. In the one they sent me, the Lightsaber Hilt had a part number of 577 instead of 64567, and importing the XML into BrickLink did not like the 577 part number. The other change was that the XML was missing the slope curved 6x1 in trans. black, which you will need 4 of, according to the guy I contacted on eBay who sold the complete parts pack. I hope this helps!
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 797
    edited December 2014
    image I posted a pic for reference.
    Thanks! I've studied that pic intensely, and will do so even more once I get all the parts together to build it. @ricecake‌ Appreciate the help, mate!
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 430
    ricecake said:

I have a copy of the book, but it's packed up somewhere at the moment since we recently moved. I am in the process of sourcing the parts but at the rate I'm going it's going to be a multi-year effort.

However, the authors sent me an XML file with the parts inventory that you can upload to BrickLink, and I have made two corrections to it. One of the part numbers was invalid, so I fixed that. The other was that an eBayer who sourced all the parts and sold them told me that the inventory was missing one piece (quantity 4) that I have also added to the XML.

It seems the forum won't let me attach the XML file, and it's a bit too long to post here. If you PM me your email address I can send it to you if you want to take a look.

ypu also could paste the content on pastebin.com and link it here to get around the issue of nonattachable file since xml-files are just text with a special structure
    Ahh, good idea. My first time using pastebin, I hope I did this correctly.
    Parts List
    edited December 2014
    Another thing to think about if you're attempting this model is many (all?) of the grey parts are old grey. If you're not too hardcore it was easier for me to source these grey parts in light bley.
    ricecakekiki180703
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 306
    Huw said:
    I should probably ask...
    @Huw Did the recipient of your review copy build the bike then?  I have three red xpods with no other use if someone is trying to embark on this project. I was considering it myself but I am so late to the party....well lets just say that the party is probably over :-) Unless I happen to get lucky as sometimes happens with rare LEGO parts on eBay or bulk buys.
    edited January 2016
    I'm not sure, I still haven't asked but I will do.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,198
    He hasn't, and I'm next in line to borrow the book Elspeth.  ;)
    DeMonteskiki180703ricecake
    <sigh> ha ha @legoboy
    Maybe I'll join a long queue of people looking to borrow or buy a copy then :-)
    Legoboykiki180703
  • brickingbricking LAMember Posts: 57
    bkpr said:
    Another thing to think about if you're attempting this model is many (all?) of the grey parts are old grey. If you're not too hardcore it was easier for me to source these grey parts in light bley.
    I think the Arvos were being a bit naughty. They specified all the grey pieces as old grey but some of the pieces didn't exist before 2004 so can only be obtained as bley.
    It looks like the book is available again:
    http://www.arvobrothers.com/book.html
    I have the first printing softcover, the new edition is hardcover. I am unaware if they made any edits, as I did find a few errors in the original.
    77ncaachampskiki180703
    edited November 2016
    what were the errors @ricecake, I have the new edition in front of me. Just about finished collecting all the parts in the last day or two :-)

I'll have a look and compare :-)

@DeMontes Note that I only built the fully-faired front end (I did not build the naked front yet, so I may have missed some errors in that part). Here are the notes I have in a document that I made while building it.

Bill of Materials Errors:

If you want to build both front ends, then here are the discrepancies I found in the bill of materials listed in the book. Book’s count is listed first, with my count in parentheses, followed by any notes. Most of these will not be an issue if you only build one of the front ends.

• Black Hose, Rigid 3mm D. - 4 (5) - 1x 9mm length used in step 53.8 for the thing on the rear wheel cover, then 2x 7mm length used in step 121 for the handlebars, and then again 2x 7mm length in step 213 for the handlebars again. If you only want to build one of the front ends, then you can reduce this number to 3 (1x 9mm for the rear wheel cover and 2x 7mm for the handlebars).

• Black Plate 2x3 - 10 (9)

• Black Plate 2x4 - 10 (11)

• Black Plate, Round 2x2 with Axle Hole - 0 (4) - Used in the front wheel; not listed in the bill of materials. If you only want to build one of the front ends, you can reduce this number to 2.

• Black Technic, Axle 4 - 1 (3) - Used in the front wheel. If you only want to build one of the front ends, you can reduce this number to 2.

• Black Tire 68.8x36 ZR - 1 (2) - Front wheel. If you only want to build one of the front ends, you can reduce this number to 1.

• Light Grey Dish 10x10 Inverted (Radar) - 4 (8) - Front wheel. If you only want to build one of the front ends, you can reduce this number to 4, which is the original number given in the bill of materials.

• Light Grey Slope 30 1x1x2/3 (1x1 cheese slope) - 1 (8) - I think these are only used in the naked front end.

• Red Plate 1x2 - 26 (27)

• Red Plate, Round 2x2 with Axle Hole - 3 (7) - Used in the front wheel. If you only want to build one of the front ends, you can reduce this number to 5.

• Red Tile 2x2 with Groove - 3 (4)

• Trans-Black Slope, Curved 6x1 - 0 (4) - These are missing completely from the bill of materials.

• Trans-Clear Plate 1x2 - 2 (4) - If you only want to build one of the front ends, you can reduce this to 2, which is the original number given in the bill of materials.

• Trans-Clear Tile 2x2 with Groove - 1 (2) - If you only want to build one of the front ends, you can reduce this to 2, which is the original number given in the bill of materials.

Tires

[Note that if you want to build both front ends, you will need 2x of everything for the front wheel.]

• Step 13.2: I only see 1 red tile used, not 2.
    • Step 57: There are 2 extra 1x2 plates attached to the headlight bricks closest to the wheel; this is an error as those parts aren’t added until the next step.
    • Step 98: The picture shows pieces that don't get added until Step 99.
    • Step 120: Possible error, I could only find 4 of the black 1x1 plates in the assemblies.
    • Step 180: The red wedge in the piece call-out should actually be a left wedge, not a right wedge.
    • Step 198: As can be seen in the assembly, the 2x black 1x2 hinge plates should have 1 finger, not 2 fingers.
    • Step 210: Piece call-out shows a black 1x2 tile instead of a plate.
    I hope this helps! Please let me know if the new edition has any of these corrections.

Just so you can have more pictures to see what you're working towards :) (I scanned and printed my own stickers since I wanted to keep the original stickers pristine)

Finally, two more things to note. First, the tires won't actually spin, as they are held in place. I saw someone who did this build and modified it to use a turntable element to actually get the wheels to spin. Second, this thing is big, and a little fragile. Be very careful when picking up or moving the model.

Good luck!
    TheFewstluxbrickingDeMonteskiki18070377ncaachampsGalactus
    @ricecake wow, what a great, detailed reply. Thanks. I will compare exactly but I can tell just by reading your comments that many of these discrepancies have been corrected. E.g The trans black 1x6 curved slope elements you noted missing from the bill of parts are definitely present.

I have one more element to get to complete my journey to getting all the the parts!
    ricecakekiki180703
    ricecake said:
    • Black Hose, Rigid 3mm D. - 4 (5) - 1x 9mm length used in step 53.8 for the thing on the rear wheel cover, then 2x 7mm length used in step 121 for the handlebars, and then again 2x 7mm length in step 213 for the handlebars again. If you only want to build one of the front ends, then you can reduce this number to 3 (1x 9mm for the rear wheel cover and 2x 7mm for the handlebars).

Arse! I ordered everything from the xml list the Arvos sent me and it just said "Hose, Rigid 3mm D." (4 off) part No.75, so I ordered 4 dark grey ones because they don't come in black but now I see they have sub-numbers for different lengths.
    Looking on Bricklink, they don't make them that short, so you may be able to get any one and cut it to length. I bought the lot of parts from someone who had already collected them so they were already cut to approximate size (I didn't measure them but they worked so I didn't worry about it). The one in the rear wheel cover will not be visible so any color will work. The other ones will be used for the handlebars, so dark gray might actually look pretty good too.

Back when I was trying to source the parts before I found the lot, part No.75 was listed as coming in black in the #8010 Darth Vader set, but I guess the inventory has been updated to say it's the 75c09.
    77ncaachamps
    Thanks for clarifying that @ricecake. That was going to be my next question about whether we had to cut them to size.
    77ncaachampsricecakekiki180703
    A list of parts that are really light blue grey:
    Bracket 1 x 2 - 2 x 4
    Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Stud on 1 Side
    Dish 10 x 10 Inverted (Radar) - Solid Studs
    Large Figure Shield Holder with Technic Axle
    Plate, Round 4 x 4 with Hole
    Slope 30 1 x 1 x 2/3

Some sellers have these listed as light grey (even though they have no known sets) so if you order straight from the xml (without changing to l.bley) then they will be "found".
    77ncaachamps
    And down the rabbit hole we go:
    I had to choose between two scala lampshades or Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! Then I remembered it will soon be Christmas so Benny's Spaceship will be a "present for the kids" :-D

ricecakeSprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • TheLegoMaster35TheLegoMaster35 OH, USAMember Posts: 94
    ^^Just wondering, what sets do those red lampshades(for lack of a better word) come in? I can't seem to find them in the brickset inventory. 
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,599
    edited February 15