Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

The largest assembly of LEGO Display Models....

IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,956
edited May 2015 in Collecting
For those of you who have my 2800 page Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide, and are anticipating the next (FREE) upgrade to 3700 pages... well it is now going to be a whole lot more....

Several LEGO collectors (Netherlands, Belgium, Britain, Canada and USA) have recently offered the use of the images of about 150 display models covering the last half century of LEGO retailer displays, for my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide next edition (free to current owners of my DVD or Desktop Reference Guide).

So now my chapter on Glued LEGO display models will likely be split into large chapters on models by decades!!  sweet

Chapter 78 - 1955-70 Early Display Models.
Chapter 79 - 1970s Display Models.
Chapter 80 - 1980s Display Models.
Chapter 81 - 1990s Display Models.
Chapter 82 - 2000- Present Display Models.

This is in addition to a chapter on LEGO Retailer Stores & Displays, and a chapter on LEGO Retailer Catalogs, Binders and Brochures.

I'm very excited over this... some of these new LEGO guide chapters will be subdivided into sub-chapters on Town, Castle, Space, Homemaker, Large Figures, etc.

These chapters will show the evolution from the early years, when retailers were required to purchase Display Models from TLG in Billund Denmark, to starting in the 1970s when TLG made them available to retailers, but kept ownership of the models, expecting them to be returned to TLG.  From what I gathered TLG didn't want broken or dirty display models left in circulation, because they wanted to protect the image and reputation of the LEGO product.

Fortunately for us today... many of these LEGO display models didn't make it back to TLG, which once returned... they were destroyed.  So we are fortunate that there are survivors among this part of LEGO history.  This same destruction took place among weathered and replaced Miniland models from the LEGOLAND partks.  Somewhere I have a heartbreaking image of a huge mound of disposed LEGOLAND models that were on their way to being crushed and recycled.

Even in the early years, when retailers could own their own copies of models, TLG suggested that they dispose of them after they became outdated and no longer in good condition.  We are thankful that some retailers thought otherwise... just as we are thankful that some TLG owned items missed the trash compactors....  :o

The over 150 image assortment I now have to document is amazing... an entire book on just these alone could be put together.... wink

Some teasers from my LEGO display model chapters....

A late 1950s LEGO house model....

An English Tudor home from the 1960s....

The old lady who lived in a shoe model from 1976... from the Homemaker era with big people....

A 1970s LEGO Mississippi Paddlewheel Ship showing the old Minifig "stiffs" of 1975-78.....

1001 Arabian Nights....

LEGO Airport model.....

And a bazillion more.....

Kevin_Hyattrocao

Comments