Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

No more Flag?

LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,113
Just noticed that the Flag button seems to have disappeared and now you can't mark things as spam.
On the plus side my one, unfairly given, Spam has vanished from my profile page! 

There is now a "dislikes" tally instead but I can't see how you can mark comments as "dislike"?

(This is all on mobile site.  Maybe it's different on desktop?)

Comments

• kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 963
    Just noticed that the Flag button seems to have disappeared and now you can't mark things as spam.
    On the plus side my one, unfairly given, Spam has vanished from my profile page! 

There is now a "dislikes" tally instead but I can't see how you can mark comments as "dislike"?

(This is all on mobile site.  Maybe it's different on desktop?)
    No, I'm on the desktop site and it's the same thing 
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 726
    Same for me, my only options are "Quote", "Like", and then the little icons for Facebook and Twitter. This is on a Windows desktop, using Firefox 40.0.2.
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 963
    @Huw are you in the process of changing the flags to dislikes?
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,113
    And now "Dislikes"  has gone from the profile page too!  :)
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    Much better. Dislikes less harsh than spam
    kiki180703
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,883
    BACbrix said:
    Much better. Dislikes less harsh than spam
    Yeah, but sometimes a "Spam" flag is what is needed. But I am agreed in that I see a fair amount of people using the spam flag just to express disagreement.
    TarDomoandhemadforLEGO
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    Yes but I think that if something is offensive enough to be flagged then chances are a mod will see it or someone will report it. Either way good revision.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,883
    edited August 2015
    Just a thought here and without trying to anger everyone. Have we as a society (globally) become so thin skinned and fragile that we can't take a little criticism?  It doesn't seem to me a good thing that we feel the need to take away everything from public eye that feels negative.

By the way, another well thought out and well written post @legomatt
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2015
    Cheers @oldtodd33 ;

I don't think anyone is advocating the removal of criticism as such (not here, anyway). I'm certainly not at least. I just want discussions to remain friendly (regardless of whether agreeing or disagreeing on any given topic).

I think admins probably just want to streamline the site by removing features that rarely get used (or misused, if that's how they feel about the spam flag).

In my mind there's two ways to converse - People can do so in a constructive way, by posting their (possibly alternative) opinions, differences being apparent to the reader without an angry word spoken or any great confrontation required, in a 'here's what i think' sort of way. Positive contributions usually offer something interesting to read and don't rely on anything prior. The more negative methods tend to take the form of an attack usually against an already posted opinion, but rarely offer any insight into any different opinion.

I think we'd all prefer people contribute their opinion (agreeing or otherwise) to inform others, as opposed to attacking but offering nothing more.

I don't mind the spam flag being removed, if it has come to represent 'disagree' - though i don't think it ever did - I just don't want 'Dislike' flags being created to replace it, as that would feel akin to a giving people a one-click version of the negative/non-constructive type post, where someone is attacking a post without needing to contribute any alternative thoughts... I'm not against disagreement, i'm just against creating a negative/toxic environment which i think a dislike flag would create.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,205
    I think it's worth note that there is still a flag button, which is much more effective for bringing problems to moderators attention, it's at the top of each post rather than the bottom though.
    Bumblepantsdougts
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,526
    edited August 2015
    ^ Yep, true. I think that is the official 'report abuse' button... but sometimes nothing beats a good public finger-wagging, tut-tutting at, which the 'spam' tool, though technically not meant for it, served nicely as. Community-driven ticking off without the need to involve mods... it was like a "NO! Bad dog!" marker for piddling in the kitchen... :)
    LostInTranslation
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,205
    The mods recommend using the flag button for anything that wants their attention, even closing marketplace threads etc, but I know what you mean about the "community based ticking off"
  • TarDomoTarDomo FinlandMember Posts: 515
    As long as mods keep on eye for 'flag collectors' this is fine. And to be honest I've not seen much spam around here.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,690
    I'm glad we're still counting Likes. I think I'd have cried if it disappeared while I was still on 999!
    HuwSumoLego
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,755