Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Taking pictures of boxart?

TBOCTBOC Member Posts: 9
Hi, I've been interested in trying to get some better pictures of sets that don't have any good ones for the database (mostly Galidor, as I own most of them and have a vested interest in them), but I'm not exactly sure how this would go. I know for some smaller sets you could likely use a scanner, but what would anyone recommend for larger sets? Just good pictures of the front/back with a camera, or is there a better way I haven't listed here? Thanks in advance for all who answer!

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,498
    Huw will probably accept anything if better than the existing ones
     Take a look at other sets and see how they are done. So long as you eliminate flash glare, pretty much any style works.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 555
    One time, I submitted a picture that was not magazine-ad quality, but it had no flash/glare so it was used (and there were no other pictures for that particular set).  I didn't do anything special besides shoot at a slight angle (maybe 5 degrees off perpendicular) so the flash glare wouldn't bounce right back into the lens.  I placed the box on my white couch and tried to fill as much of the frame as possible with the box, and Huw cropped off the edges of the picture for use as the official site image.  I'm not a photographer by any means, so I'm sure others have better ideas to try...
    TBOC
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,723
    Evenly lit photo of boxes, without flash glare, will be most welcome.

They don't need to be head-on and square as i can straighten them up with software.

If they are an irregular shape and won't crop to a rectangle then please take on a plain white background.
    TBOC
  • Came64Came64 GermanyMember Posts: 50
    If you don't want to destroy the box OR it is too big for the Scanner, you could scan the instructions. I think they use the same image sometimes.
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 427
    With a flatbed scanner where you can separate the lid or get it fully open smehow you could scan the box in parts and then stitch the files at the computer as a way to get around the scanner size