You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Could this be used for 3D Minifigure imaging?

CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 537
I came across a Kickstarter campaign for a 3D image table called PIXELIO 3D.  I could see it being used for images of Minifigures that could be rotated 360 degrees. I know Brickset used to have a source for these 3D images and they were very cool, but tragically the person who created them passed away. 

I feel like I need this, but can't quite figure out if I would use it. 

Link to Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1886998349/pixelio-3d-multiscanner?utm_source=kickbooster&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=link&utm_campaign=UOMGTYLA 

Referral link, all proceeds will go to fairy bricks. 

http://kckb.st/l/bH0N2Xhn 

Comments

• MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,634
    edited November 2015
    ^that's epic, but I do feel like I could build one out of technics.  The actual version has a charger and some other built in stuff (which I couldn't do obviously) but the imaging software is free on a phone, you just need a platform to rotate neatly around an object surely...

Edit: in fact it would be easier to just make a turntable for the object and keep the camera still (for minifigures at least).  Its nice, but can't believe it is £130 nice.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 537
    ^Very true. The table isn't the hard part, it's the imaging software. And that's free. 
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,852
    Seriously, someone should try a Technics version of this. Then it could be replicated by anyone with the parts, making it much easier to 'crowdsource' the photos and negating the need to post rare or valuable minifigs to Huw/the photographer.

As mentioned above, it wouldn't need the phone to rotate (that's only needed for outward-facing panoramas), just the fig. As long as the software is in fact free, we as the Brickset community would be able to fill the 3D minifig galleries in no time.

Something to consider would be background - a 'shroud' would have to be made of paper or cloth to hide the mechanism, as well.
    ^Could you not just put the mechanism inside a box with a white tiles top? (just a rotating 4x4 white plate that overlaps the tiles which have a 2x2 hole for one of those round bricks that takes a technics pin.)  Then a white cloth in the background.
    If we put the battery pack off to the side then it's the easiest thing to make in the world surely.  In fact you could make it without power functions and just a handle if you wanted to be even more reasonably priced.  I'm guessing the software can cope provided you can turn with reasonable smoothness.
    If I get a chance I will try this, if only for my own benefit - I will update here unless someone beats me to it!
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,194
    Doesn't seem so hard. Is there a specific speed or time that the motor has to run for? And does the makeup of the while box matter?
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,852
    Probably the speed out time of running would depend on the software.

Let us know how you get on @MattsWhat - I'm really interested in this! I would do it, but I sold all my Technics a while ago.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 432
    edited November 2015
    @plasmodium and @MattsWhat - Philo's built one with an RCX program, and provided building instructions: http://www.philohome.com/turntable/turntable.htm
    kiki180703MattsWhat
    ^nice, but the mount obviously needs to be changed for our phone version (much simpler in fact).  I ordered a spare #8293 on the weekend so I can fiddle around making one of these.  It hardly requires a lot of effort and is far easier than the Philo one - it only has to turn a minifigure for a start!
    I'm just going to give up on any type of feedback loop and assume someone can start the turning and the software at the same time!