Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Should we revert to the old mobile template?

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,758
edited November 2015 in The Forum

Should we revert to the old mobile template? 75 votes

Yes
57%
Rainstorm26Russell844Legopantsiso3200vwong19dougtsLostInTranslationSirKevbagsSeijiAmasawacheshirecatalldarkerjeremy1973BanditCCCdutchlegofan50Renegade007cjhPhoneboothWallaceThanos75maniac 43 votes
No
42%
Matthewdrdavewatfordoldtodd33alijoezacastarguydavetheoxygenmanTheBrickLaddcaperberrykhmellymelYogaFett2jasonord69athenosPaperballparkMeadlescoiltreasamagriAleyditaricecakebobabrickseggshen 32 votes

Comments

• TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    No
    I like the new template, everything has to evolve and overtime I'm sure @Huw and the team will be able to tweak the layout and functionality of it. :D
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,639
    Yes
    It's not that I don't like change, but at the moment the new template just doesn't do everything the old one did - that's not a step forward.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,737
    Yes
    Is this a "once in a lifetime" vote?
    Yes
    ^I was also wondering about the phrasing of the question.  @Huw made an effort to make it clear and to make the change back into the favoured Yes camp. It would have completely changed my vote if the question had read 'Do you want to keep the new template', I mean who really wants to vote no?!?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,324
    edited November 2015
    Yes
    I voted yes, but if the problems could be fixed I'd happily stick as I don't want to be the grumpy old man harking back to long forgotten glory days...

Annoying pop up bars
    Pointless OP images
    formatting of text/buttons in category view
    Crazy back button
    Better highlighting of new messages

ShibStvoyager04raygunn
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,108

Not really used the mobile site since the change so I will get back to you on that. But if there was a poll for should we have more polls it would be yes all the way. It looks great and I love how you see the vote of a member above there comment.

Can members add polls or if not can I be an admin.

BTW great to see you asking people what they want, top drawer.

• MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 207
    No
    The mobile template looks and works fine on my phone (Nexus 5x /Android/Chrome). Navigation is flawless. Every click takes me where I want to go.  So on the basis of my single data point I vote keep it. I do think it could better highlight threads with new messages though. 
    thenos
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,146
    edited November 2015
    SMC said:

But if there was a poll for should we have more polls it would be yes all the way.

If it meant the end of 'general' threads.....

I'm not able to view in 'mobile' view so am unable to pass comment.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,758
    I'll let this run for another day and then see what the scores are.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,108
    Legoboy said:
    SMC said:

But if there was a poll for should we have more polls it would be yes all the way.

That's really not necessary now is it?

Huw on my old windows phone, it looks ok. Like others have said it is hard to see that there are new posts in a topic. One thing to note with the results is that people need time to get used to a change like this, if you did the poll again in a month you might get different results.

Yes
    Yeah, because in that time they might either have switched to desktop or stopped using the forum on mobile.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,146
    SMC said:
    Legoboy said:
    SMC said:

That's really not necessary now is it?

Apologies, you left the door wide open.  Nethertheless, " ;) "
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,883
    No
    I don't use it much but it seems nice to me. 
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,647
    edited November 2015
    No
    I voted no, because in my opinion there's only a couple of things wrong with it.

1. The 'new' notification needs to be in a different colour.

2. The avatars on the main page are unnecessary, although I could get used to them.

3. There needs to be more space between 'more discussions' and the next category title.

If those things could be fixed I'd be quite happy with it.

The top and bottom bars aren't too much of an issue for me.
    Rainstorm26
  • scoiltreasascoiltreasa Ireland Member Posts: 1,275
    No
    Greying  out read threads and highlighting of new back would be great otherwise  I like it
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,769
    No
    I thought we were voting on whether Market Street should be a modular.

(I like the new format.)
    andhe
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 729
    No
    I agree with some of the other posters. The "new post" indicator could be more visible, the avatars on the thread list are unnecessary, and the "more discussions" needs more space. One other thing is that typing a message seems slower than on other sites, like there is some lag from when I type to when it shows up on screen. Otherwise, the new skin looks pretty nice and is functional enough for me.
    Yes
    Quick question for the bunch of no voters who are saying that x, y and z should be fixed. Is there any better functionality now than before or do you just like the pretty colours? 
    LegopantsLostInTranslation
    Yes
    Also will x, y and z be fixed? 
    Legopants
    Yes
    There does seem to be a lot of people voting to keep the new one then listing a whole load of stuff that it doesn't do.  The old one did all that, why are you voting to keep it if you want the look and functionality of it changed?  What else is there?
    LegopantsLostInTranslationdougts
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,883
    (Partly copied from the other thread where this was discussed): Having (briefly) seen the mobile skin, I'd say, yeah, it's ugly, but if it's possible to edit it to improve it, I'd take that over reverting permanently. That's kinda in between yes and no, but I guess I'd say yes, temporarily. But then again, anyone who uses Chrome (the majority of Android users and a good chunk of iOS users, supposedly) who doesn't want to see it can revert to the old view by going to the menu on their browser and "Request[ing] desktop site".
    Yes
    That doesn't give the old view, it gives the desktop view - very small text on a mobile phone screen.

LostInTranslation
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 798
    Yes
    Clean:

Messy:
    The images here are not value added.  Their username could be shown instead, taking up less space, and letting the "XX new" have a little more pop.  The image is too bold in comparison and is dominating the line.

The rendering or formatting is broken here:
    There should be a significant gap between the "more discussions button" and the next Topic Header.

Again I'm on iOS9 Safari.  The top and bottom bars are bothering me less, but previously the bottom bar was always at the top, out of the way.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,883
    edited November 2015
    CCC said:
    That doesn't give the old view, it gives the desktop view - very small text on a mobile phone screen.

Oh, OK. I didn't realise there was an 'old' mobile view. I think I've rather missed the point of this discussion - I assumed when people were talking about the 'new mobile view' they meant that having a mobile view full stop was new.

Whenever I've visited (on three different phones and a tablet!) I've ended up at the desktop view with tiny text. Maybe I set it to show desktop view ages ago and it just remembered? I don't mind, because I prefer it that way anyway...
    andhe
    Yes
    Ohhh, those top/bottom bars are brutal in landscape mode:

A huge waste of screen real estate.
    CCCkiki180703dougts
    As far as I can tell it's not possible to change the template with custom CSS so we either take it or leave it. The vote is closer than I expected and while the Yes's have the lead it's not a vast majority by any means.

Nevertheless if it remains as it is by the morning I will revert.
    edited November 2015
    Yes
    OK, @Huw , what does it offer you at the back end? (i.e. why did you switch in the first place).  It's all good saying we don't like it, but if it makes your life easier/cheaper/more advertising revenue filled or whatever, then we should probably just lump it.  I do feel that given you can't make those changes maybe some of the Nos are actaully Yeses, but it is close.  The moaners are just more vocal as usual :$
    cheshirecat
  • aldreddaldredd United KingdomMember Posts: 203
    No
    Dedgecko said:
    Ohhh, those top/bottom bars are brutal in landscape mode:

A huge waste of screen real estate.
    but they disapear as soon as You starting scrolling (on chrome at least)
  • aldreddaldredd United KingdomMember Posts: 203
    edited November 2015
    No
    I've had a play, and whilst there's room for tweaks (but isn't there always?!) I think it's a step forward, and would be more likely to use the mobile format than I currently do.

Some people just don't like change, and no matter how much an improvement it is will still not take to it.
    edited November 2015
    Yes
    ^ Seems a little uncalled for - we could be equally childish and point out that some people just like change for change's sake? The negatives have been pointed out numerous times, and most have said if they can be fixed then we'd stick with the new format, but I've yet to see anyone state any objective benefits for the new design over the old mobile design. I'm sure they exist but I'm having trouble thinking of any. 

I too assumed that there might be some reason for Huw to have changed and that would alter the balance, but all things being equal and with apparently no way of overcoming the issues I can't see any reason to stick with the changed version.

A couple of rules about change management I stole from my wife's presentation which seemed pertinent...

A) Do no harm. Implementing change poorly is sometimes worse than not implementing change at all.

B) Change should only be pursued in the context of a clear goal.

Now, who moved my cheese?
    MattsWhatdougtsLego_StarLostInTranslationRainstorm26
  • thenosthenos Member Posts: 302
    No
    When I used to click on a forum,  read it,  and click back,  it would take me to the top.  Now it takes me back to the same area I was in.  I'm willing to live with anything else not to have to scroll back down everytime.  
    andhe
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 117
    Yes
    I really like the clean new design but I don't like that we don't have navigation buttons (previous page, next page) on the top of the page (right under the first post of a thread), only at the bottom of the thread. I use to read the forum in the train and the new design consumes more mobile data because I have to scroll down to the end of the first page of a thread to find the button to go the last page of the same thread.
    I also couldn't find the option to place a new message in a thread, only to start a new discussion. I had to switch to 'classic view' to do this. Until above problems are solved I vote yes.
    Yes
    There is one good improvement that the hash tag set number seems to work (it didn't for me on mobile before). But for me that doesn't outweigh the bad.
    edited November 2015
    There is no compelling reason to change, but the new template was made available to us when I renewed the contract with Vanilla.

If we don't try things we don't know if they are any good, do we...

If we go back to the old, the hash tag parsing will still work as that's implemented using a different, newly enabled, mechanism.
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 1,802
    No
    I acutally like the new skin. (okay, that sounds like I just molted but...)

Here are my pro's:
    - on mobile I think the colours are an imporvement, it's less busy. It takes some getting used to, but it feels 'lighter' on the eyes.
    - I acutally like the new back button, it takes you to the whole subsectioin, if I want to go to the beginning, I can go with the home button (at the top 'brickset forum') so I think this is a nice extra thing
    - @dutchlegofan50 I just had an empty box to leave a comment at the bottom of the thread like in the previous version
    - I think the hash tag set number is a great!! addition, that's something I always have problems with since I don't know many numbers yet.

con's:
    - don't like the avatars, is a bit cluttery and 'in your face'. I guess you can get used to it but don't see the added functionality. If there is a topic I am interested in, I don't really care who started it.
    - it takes a bit more looking which ones have 'new' messages in their topic, but I guess that's something that just needs getting used to.

Thanks for trying.

Yes
    So what other new functionality would also remain if the old skin is brought back? We don't seem to be comparing like with like.
    Yes
    I guess while I am asking ... Do we really need Facebook and twitter buttons on every post? Do they get used?
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,116
    edited November 2015
    Yes
    I just realised something else I don't like about this new mobile version: in the Recent Discussions view (which I prefer) you can't see what category a thread belongs to,  just the OP and title.  You can't tell if it's a shopping or marketplace or collecting or even off-topic thread. 

Rest copied from the other thread:
    I access the Brickset forum *exclusively* via my Samsung Android smartphone and I find the design very user UNfriendly. You lose so much screen space with the menus/pop up bar things,  the discussions are all too cramped and the overwhelming whiteness of it all is very unappealing and as I said before,  has no personality.  Even after a couple of days using it,  I still think it's horrible.  I would hate to stop visiting here so much but I really can't see any benefits from this new design.

• khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,170
    No
    thenos said:
    When I used to click on a forum,  read it,  and click back,  it would take me to the top.  Now it takes me back to the same area I was in.  I'm willing to live with anything else not to have to scroll back down everytime.  
    I'm also a no for this reason alone.  I also almost always access the forum from my phone, and this frustrates me to no end so I always have to revert to desktop view.   Because there are so many topics, and I pretty much read every post, it's really annoying to be in, say, shopping, hit back, and then all of a sudden be at the top of the page, needing to scroll down again to access the threads I haven't read yet.

Obviously that's from a selfish perspective but in that sense the new template greatly improves the functionality of the mobile forum for me.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 3,997
    Yes
    I voted Yes because when I tried it I didn't like that it was tricky to see unread messages.

That said I rarely use the mobile view, with today's technology the full site works perfectly so my opinion isn't really important. Maybe this is time for everyone to go out and get better phones with good data plans and enjoy the full site experience on the move ;-)
  • mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 366
    Yes
    Glad we went back, much cleaner overall. 
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 1,744
    Yes
    And visual harmony was restored ;-) Cross fingers the revenue works out over the next 12 months.

LostInTranslationandhe
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,116
    Yes
    Thank you so much @Huw for changing the forum back! 
    It makes me so happy :-) 
    Yes
    Thanks for switching it back!
  • BACbrixBACbrix AmericaMember Posts: 655
    Yes
    Thank you for changing it.