Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

FAQ/How do I... -- please help compile list of topics to be covered

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,716
edited November 2015 in Brickset.com
The number of people who suggested features that are already available in the recent user survey highlights the need for a FAQ section on the main site that covers how to do things that are buried in the interface, or not obvious.

I'd like your help in compiling what should be included. I'll start off with my list, please let me know if I've missed anything.

In no particular order:

How do i...

- share my owned and wanted set lists
- indicate I have minifigs missing in my sets
- add notes to a set
- record more information about my collection
- view the minifigs I own loose
- export my collection as a CSV
- add more flags to help organise my collection
- hide certain types of news articles from the home page
- make the background of the page darker
- hide certain types of sets that I am not interested in from the listings
- see what sets I can make from my parts, using Rebrickable.com
- add links to my YouTube video reviews

Thanks

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,487
    Share my owned and wanted minifigs.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,716
    - Write a review

Nobody else have any suggestions? Do you all know how to use every aspect of the site?

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,148
    I think the problem for regular users is remembering what was once difficult. 

How do I:

make a Bricklist/what is a bircklist?

submit a photo of a set missing from the database?

- I assume you've thought to put a "Can't find an answer? Send us your question." type button which will probably yield more results.
    Also I know there is the occasional question about forum sign up not working, when people assume that the forum and main site use the same login, might be worth covering.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,437
    edited December 2015
    'How do I use the advanced query builder?' - in my experience, although I found my way around it, it's definitely not the easiest thing to use.

Heck, I can't even find how to access it anymore - 'my queries' leads to a list of ones I've previously saved, and 'new query' leads to a blank page which only really duplicates the various 'browse' links. Argghhh!
    Odd.

My Menu > Queries, leads to http://brickset.com/queries/mine, then
    Create a new query » at the top.

Does that work for you?
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,437
    Oh yes, I completely missed that! I was focussing on something else, which turns out to be a link I'd put in there. Never mind! :)
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 1,714
    edited December 2015
    Great idea!

Some questions that I have/used to have, some of these are maybe a bit silly or it would be mayhem if the answer would be yes to some of them, but they are actual questions that came up.

- How do I export the info on my own flags in CVS?
    - How do I make a list of what I've got to trade (it says when you make a bricklist you have to use the appropriate features on the site for that, and making a list of wanted/owned has been covered but this one not).
    - How do I share the info on a query (so not the query itself but the info it makes).
    - If I sync data with rebrickable (or other) does it sync it once or does it keep syncing?
    - How do I send you good enough quality pictures (e.g. when you look at a set and it says you have not got good enough pictures, what would be good enough).
    - Can I change the birck-count/bricks in a set?
    - Are the extra bricks included in the brick-count?

Like Shib said, it's difficult to think of questions that you used to have :) If I think of some more I'll come back and post them.
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 278
    I know you are looking for main site questions, but as for this forum, is there a way I can search just forum titles and not include all the individual comments?
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 922
    Part of the problem is "I don't know what I don't know."

For example: 'make the background of the page darker'.  It would never have occurred to me to ask how to do that, as I simply didn't know it was an option!  I like the idea of having an FAQ (preferably with an extraordinarily detailed index, because no two people will come at the same problem from the same direction).

You almost want a Brickset Wiki, where we can all edit an online, living document that would become the ultimate guide to how Brickset works.

/starts daydreaming

There could be "How to..." pages, biogs of designers, biogs of members..., links to blogs, top 10 lists, photography guides...

Might get quite large, quite quickly.

/goes back to daydreaming
    canon03Matthewkiki180703tallblocktoo
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 706
    How do I add my own flags to ACM data?
    In the FAQ: http://brickset.com/faq, 'Add more flags to help organise my collection'