You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Building a model of Exeter Cathedral

plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,844
So I bumped into a bloke at my university who was advertising for a project at Exeter Cathedral where they're planning to build a scale model of the Cathedral as a fundraising exercise. Apparently it'll start in February and they need volunteers, so I thought I'd post it here if anyone in the South-West wants to give it a go!

If you want volunteering details, apparently the address to email is lego(at)exeter-cathedral.org.uk.

Comments

• TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    This is going to get boring. Is there a cathedral that they're not building to raise funds?

Liverpool Met might be a bit more of a challenge to do properly though.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,844
    TigerMoth said:
    This is going to get boring. Is there a cathedral that they're not building to raise funds?

Liverpool Met might be a bit more of a challenge to do properly though.
    And the Sagrada Familia - though I'm sure they'll give it a shot once the actual thing's been finished!

That said, though, as a history student, I'm all for getting the public more engaged in heritage and so on, and if making Lego models is an fun way of doing that, then why not?
    Not exactly a British cathedral, though is it, of which there seem to be an increasing number of models - and which is why I picked Liverpool Met.

Models of historic buildings are all very well, until you start building too many of the same sort of thing. Most people don't see the differences until they're pointed out, so similar models tend to dull interest rather than foster it. They're not unique or special any more.
    plasmodium
    No, I definitely agree. It's only interesting to a certain point. After too many it's not so interesting any more. Still, I thought I'd post anyway in case anyone here wanted to help out.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 3,988
    While to some of us these projects may be boring, the majority of people involved with this in Exeter will have little knowledge of the one Durham and its even less likely they have been involved.

Simple fact is after the success of Durham other organisations see it and think yes please. From a pure fundraising perspective the amount they will be spending to make each £1 is very attractive and with the projects essentially being localised I doubt it's the last one we will see.

If anyone feels it's all getting to repetitive and don't want to hear about it, just don't click on the articles.
    LostInTranslation
    No, I definitely agree. It's only interesting to a certain point. After too many it's not so interesting any more. Still, I thought I'd post anyway in case anyone here wanted to help out.
    Don't me wrong - I wasn't criticising you posting it. Anything likes this has kid pulling power. It's a day out and something to interest both adults and kids. That's the way it has to be. If you're relying on the locals then they shouldn't really need much encouragement to stick their hands in their pockets - it's visitors you want because they're the variable quantity.

First there was Durham. Then there was Chester. All of a sudden, anybody in, say, Manchester won't be going to Durham any more, although the overall interest might increase. Now Exeter. Then there's going to be pressure to be bigger, or better, or sooner. That's why I cringe. Somebody had a good idea; hopefully not too many others are going to jump on the bandwagon. You might get away with one, maybe two, more, but the danger is that the bubble pops completely.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,015
    Are people really travelling across the country because of participating in an unfinished build? I would imagine people from Manchester visiting Durham may still go and visit the cathedral and maybe pay a quid to help build it. They might also visit Chester cathedral and do the same, when in Chester.

Surely visiting the building is more interesting than sponsoring a lego brick in a build. That is just a little extra tagged on.
    LostInTranslation
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 723
    It is cool when any historical building is recreated in LEGO; folks tend to understand so little history these days that anything leading to that goal is laudable. That is one reason that the Architecture line is so attractive; it makes people think about the impact of a building and how it fits into history. Many from all walks of life are attached to their cathedrals, not just the church goers. So cathedrals are special places to most of us. It is fine with me if they build every church building that has any architectural interest because it requires the participation of many and increases their understanding of what the building represents. And it provides a wonderful hands-on activity for the entire family. Yes, it could get old and repetitive for some, but those who want can ignore it, too. Sagrada Familia....they should begin that build NOW! I would visit Barcelona just to participate in creating that baby!
    CCC said:

Are people really travelling across the country because of participating in an unfinished build?

Um...

legogal said:

Sagrada Familia....they should begin that build NOW! I would visit Barcelona just to participate in creating that baby!

That's a bit more than "across the country".

CCC said:

Surely visiting the building is more interesting than sponsoring a lego brick in a build. That is just a little extra tagged on.
    Not for children.
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 723
    @TigerMoth But you have to admit that a visit to Barcelona should be near the top of everyone's list! And Sagrada is so Barcelona! And will not be finished during most of our lives at the rate that they are going, so why not just finish it in LEGO?
    kiki180703
    legogal said:
    so why not just finish it in LEGO?
    Now I just imagine them using Lego bricks to finish building the actual thing. XD
    kiki180703
    legogal said:

@TigerMoth But you have to admit that a visit to Barcelona should be near the top of everyone's list!
    I'm not sure why you're asking me about it. I'm not against a model of any building - as long as it's significantly different.

Sagrada Família fits that description. However, you're wrong. I don't have to admit that people should visit Barcelona, either from the viewpoint of what that phrase means literally, or that Sagrada Família  is a "must-see". It's art, to a greater extent than most buildings. I don't have to like it, and I don't. Give me Saint Basil's any day. Everybody makes their own choices about what they like.
  • LegobusfanLegobusfan Hampshire Member Posts: 14
    There will be a trilogy of models of Exeter Cathedral for sale, like Durham, The first of which will be released on 11/2/15
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 420
    edited November 2015

Interesting--but do you mean 11/2/16, since that's around the time they plan to start their big build?. There is a very nice micromodel of the Chester Cathedral currently for sale at their (meaning Chester, not Exeter!) website, BTW.

Apparently Nanobricks has the licence for a micro Sagrada Familia, by the way, given that's a set that keeps turning up when I search for "Lego Cathedral."

• kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 963
    edited December 2015
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 420
    It's about the same to the USA, @kiki180703! And a lovely model too. I hope the first model of Exeter also has some of the surrounding buildings; I enjoy seeing how the cathedral fits into its surroundings!
    It is in a gorgeous little square. Lovely place to sit and have a nice cup of tea! Though perhaps not in this weather...
    Sorry I did mean 11/2/16
    Exeter Cathedral 2 is now out and it has surrounding buildings.
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 178
    Not available to order! Is anyone planning on visiting the Cathedral and could get me a set?
    New Cathedral LEGO model announced
    Exeter Cathedral 2 is now out and it has surrounding buildings.
    But presumably not the Royal Clarence Hotel...:-/