Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Courier Recommendations (UK)

Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 639
edited March 2016 in Buying & Selling Topics
Hi All

I am on the cusp of having a major clear-out of my collection, but one of the things holding me back is having to traipse to the Post Office with armfuls of parcels. Whilst I can (and do) cope with this for smaller parcels, larger ones are a problem as I don't have access to a car most of the time. There's also the cost factor (especially with the larger parcels), where Royal Mail / Parcel Force fees are so expensive and I've lost out on numerous BrickLink sales because of this.

So, my question is: can anyone recommend a decent courier company within the UK... they need to be reliable, punctual and reasonably priced; ideally collect from my house rather than dropping off at a depot, with the option to upgrade insurance / compensation for more expensive sets. Anyone who suggests Yodel will be summarily bombarded with MegaBlocks!!!

Many thanks

Comments

• FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 313
    I always use myparceldelivery.com, you can pick the courier and service required. Plus its a lot cheaper than taking the parcel to the post office etc.
    Renegade007cjh
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 639
    ^ Looks interesting. I'll be sure to give it a shot. Any particular firms on there to use / avoid?
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,643
    edited March 2016
    I have used myHermes a few times, and received loads through them.  I have them delivering some stuff at the moment so I don't want to tempt anything but so far so good.  Not a bad price, only costs 35p more for them to pick up from your house and can insure up to £250 easy enough.  I haven't found a set too big for them either.  Prices between £2 and £12 for the most part.
    parcels2go.com are the same as the link given.  You can use anyone but it does only compare price, not the chance of your Lego getting written off.  They do good discounts the first time you book a parcel through them (whoever it is with).
    Renegade007cjh
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 973
    My significant other uses myHermes as well quite a lot for her eBay selling and has had no issues. They will pick up from local shops as well, so that can be an option. She drops parcels off with a small Co-Op half a mile down the road and they take it from there.
    Renegade007cjh
  • DJ_Pon3DJ_Pon3 Member Posts: 93
    "they need to be reliable, punctual and reasonably priced" are you mad?? You want all 3?? Most couriers you'll only get 1 of those things. Personally I use Parcel2go Hermes Parcelshop drop off, that way I can drop them off without waiting in or being told I was out when I wasn't.
    Renegade007cjh
    DJ_Pon3 said:
    that way I can drop them off without waiting in or being told I was out when I wasn't.
    Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, dropping off is not really practical for me.

Happy to give the pick-up option a go.

Cheers, Guys.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,577
    You'll hear bad stories about every single courier, it's a matter of statistics whether they'll treat your parcel badly though. I've posted big things with Hermes, DHL, UPS with plenty of padding and had no complaints.

Just the other day we got a customer complaint at work regarding DX, they reportedly threw a parcel we sent, into a pharmacy - narrowly missing the pharmacist's head.
    kiki180703
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 958
    Hermes are good for low value items that may weigh over the 2kg limit for Royal Mail parcels but I wouldn't have them deal with anything of value personally. Ive seen the guy who collects from my local shop literally kick parcels to his van and our delivery driver usually leaves our parcels on the doorstep, even those that require a signature.

Sending a £200 parcel fully insured through Hermes costs approx £17.90 though for an extra pound you can have Parcelforce collect it and know that it will be treated well. YMMV etc but I courier 100's of high end samples (glass, metal, solid wood etc) through Parcelforce without any issue every year.
    Renegade007cjh
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,613
    Re: Parcelforce prices, it seems that Royal Mail's Pricefinder doesn't necessarily show you the best price - I found a Parcelforce price (was sending some books and DVDs to Switzerland) exhorbitant, but when I used ParcelMonkey to compare prices across different companies, it quoted me a better Parcelforce price! They were also able to collect from my house. 
    joel4motionkiki180703
    Re: Parcelforce prices, it seems that Royal Mail's Pricefinder doesn't necessarily show you the best price - I found a Parcelforce price (was sending some books and DVDs to Switzerland) exhorbitant, but when I used ParcelMonkey to compare prices across different companies, it quoted me a better Parcelforce price! They were also able to collect from my house. 
    Good point. Parcelmonkey usually (though not all the time) offer a better price than RM/PF.
    Hermes are good for low value items that may weigh over the 2kg limit for Royal Mail parcels but I wouldn't have them deal with anything of value personally. Ive seen the guy who collects from my local shop literally kick parcels to his van and our delivery driver usually leaves our parcels on the doorstep, even those that require a signature.

Sending a £200 parcel fully insured through Hermes costs approx £17.90 though for an extra pound you can have Parcelforce collect it and know that it will be treated well. YMMV etc but I courier 100's of high end samples (glass, metal, solid wood etc) through Parcelforce without any issue every year.

I believe that price is for over 5kg though. In the 2-5kg slot (which is you average 1000+ piece set packed) I believe insured to 100 is around £8 and 250 is £12.
    edited March 2016
    So it sounds like there *are* some savings to be had, but most likely at the sacrifice of quality (ie parcels being kicked around).  £8 via Hermes vs £12ish via RM / PF for a large parcel isn't too bad... maybe up to the £100 mark I consider Hermes, but the more expensive sets get entrusted to PF...?
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 8,276
    ^ That depends on who handles the package
      I normally use USPS very here because they are significantly cheaper and have only had one instance where a package was clearly stomped on.

The higher cost private companies (UPS/FedEx ) one would think there would be more care, but I had a UCS B-Wing arrive completely mangled to the point where the delivery guy put in the claim on the spot.
  • rampantsullyrampantsully The Emirates Stadium Member Posts: 74
    My wife sells our products on one of the TV craft shopping channels, we ship 1000s of items using DPD, can't complain about the service we receive for them.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,228
    So it sounds like there *are* some savings to be had, but most likely at the sacrifice of quality (ie parcels being kicked around).  £8 via Hermes vs £12ish via RM / PF for a large parcel isn't too bad... maybe up to the £100 mark I consider Hermes, but the more expensive sets get entrusted to PF...?
    You need to be careful with choosing Royal Mail and possibly ParcelForce. Depending on the circumstances they may decide to refund you the RRP and nothing more.
    You need to be careful with choosing Royal Mail and possibly ParcelForce. Depending on the circumstances they may decide to refund you the RRP and nothing more.
    That sounds iffy; if you put a claim in, can't I show a copy of the BrickLink order screen, for example, to prove what it sold for? I'm sure I read their Claim Form notes before and they gave an example of someone buying & selling jeans and being able to claim for what you sold it for.

If this isn't the case, does that mean I've been wasting my time / money so far?
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 791
    I have had a couple of Bricklink orders go missing in the post (out of over 2000) and claimed from Royal Mail using the Bricklink Invoice value, both times the amount claimed was repaid. Proof of posting is important so make sure you keep that.

For larger sets and parcels I tend to use Hermes and have had no issues with them so far. I normally ensure the value of the set is covered by their insurance.

Calv said:
    I have had a couple of Bricklink orders go missing in the post (out of over 2000) and claimed from Royal Mail using the Bricklink Invoice value, both times the amount claimed was repaid. Proof of posting is important so make sure you keep that.

For larger sets and parcels I tend to use Hermes and have had no issues with them so far. I normally ensure the value of the set is covered by their insurance.
    I always keep my proof of postage / receipt and I take plenty of photos of the set(s) and packaging, so I know the size & weight etc.  Touch wood, I've only had a couple of orders go astray, but they were really low value (£3 or so), so never bothered claiming... just worried about the bigger / more expensive sets and not wanting to get the shaft at both ends (paying higher postage and then not being properly covered).
    My wife sells our products on one of the TV craft shopping channels, we ship 1000s of items using DPD, can't complain about the service we receive for them.
    That is the problem with individual recommendation, they become biased by a few experiences.  I have literally nothing good to say about DPD.  I have never sent anything but from a receiving point of view they are awful for the 2 or 3 things I have had - claiming I was out, missing deliveries, parcels not at depot as agreed - they were useless.
    I have just been lucky with myHermes so far.  So I recommended them where another person wouldn't touch them.  I guess @Renegade007cjh that you just have to make a choice and find out for yourself!
  • veritas313veritas313 Member Posts: 76
    Sainsbury's offer a drop off/collection point for myHermes. They will also give you 25 nectar points per package dropped off or collected from them. Might be helpful if local to you or you are sending lots.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,399
    Sounds like an ideal way of getting rid of some Construct-a-Zurgs :-)

Renegade007cjhkiki180703
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,228
    Heh!

Royal Mail compensate on the basis of "actual loss" defined as "Where an item is lost or damaged beyond repair then it is the amount it cost the customer to acquire, purchase or manufacture the item subject to adjustment to take account of condition, age and depreciation." Evidence they use to confirm the cost includes the invoice used to acquire the item.

They don't have a consistent policy though and depending on how it's handled you could get compensation based on the purchase cost. Just bear this in mind.
    Get yourself a set of digital scales and verify the exact weight before sending it out. If something is returned, make sure it weighs the same. I'm sure people have had bits removed from sets then returned.
    Get yourself a set of digital scales and verify the exact weight before sending it out. If something is returned, make sure it weighs the same. I'm sure people have had bits removed from sets then returned.
  • bildabilda Member Posts: 2
    At the receiving end we've twice had Hermes leave a note through the door saying they have put the parcel in the dustbin! First time it was indeed there. Second time, no parcel (though lots of rather revolting rubbish) - we're still trying to establish what the parcel was and where it went.
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,419
    Someone put one of mine in a bin once, the thing is, it was my neighbours bin.