Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Best Quinjet to acquire

I have yet to purchase a marvel set that has a Quinjet, but after realizing how awesome they are in Lego form, I'm kind of wanting one. It seems there are 3 if I'm not mistaken that have been produced that are on the large side. Anyone recommend one over the other? There's the first avengers movie, then AOU and lastly the new civil war set. I want the best one that would be for display purposes.
VBaskin2008

Comments

• ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 448
    I like the first quinjet the best.  Everything about it just seems better to me.  It is also the biggest one.
    Drmnezkiki180703exciter1
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 343
    I also think the first one ist best for display, but you might have to pay a lot to get it, because it's retired. If you look at the newer two, I'm not sure which one I'd like more.. 
    Allthough the civil war one is small, I really enjoy the build and it looks quite good. The AOU one looks good too, but the colours seem a bit odd imo. 
    I have all three of them, but if I'd have to pick one, I would not only look at the quinjet itself but also at the side-builds and minifigs. If you look at the set as a whole, I'd go for the civil war one, because of the figures, giant man and added scenery which look quite cool...
    VBaskin2008
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,077
    I agree that it's the first one. It's a solid build without all the gimmicks that the other ones have. 
    VBaskin2008
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 618
    I have all three! The original is the best by far although the wings are a bit rubbish. Bit hard to come across these days. If you could put the wings from AOU onto the original body, that would be the ultimate jet!
    VBaskin2008
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 459
    edited March 2016
    There are plenty of #6869 on Bricklink and the prices seem pretty decent actually. £80-90ish. Even cheaper in the US too.

And this thread reminds me I bought one about 3 years ago and still haven't built it. 
    VBaskin2008
  • TheUltimateTFOLTheUltimateTFOL Texas, USAMember Posts: 149
    If you just want the Quinjet, then the original is the best. In terms of the best set to have one, then that would have to be the new Airport Battle set. The AOU set is decent too but the Civil War set has the buildable figure and tower.
    BrickDancerkiki180703VBaskin2008
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 829
    The polybag ones are cool (technically they are quinjets)
    VBaskin2008
  • TwoToneBricksTwoToneBricks KCMember Posts: 37
    Thanks guys. Yeah it seemed the first one would be the ultimate choice. But seeing as it isn't around anymore, it's a tough call. That giant man that comes in the new set is kind of calling to me too, something tells me that figure alone is worth purchasing. Plus this version looks a bit cleaner with the color scheme. Hopefully they are gonna have that new spidey suit in the mysterious 4th set that's coming later. 
    VBaskin2008
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,261
    Thanks guys. Yeah it seemed the first one would be the ultimate choice. But seeing as it isn't around anymore, it's a tough call. That giant man that comes in the new set is kind of calling to me too, something tells me that figure alone is worth purchasing. Plus this version looks a bit cleaner with the color scheme. Hopefully they are gonna have that new spidey suit in the mysterious 4th set that's coming later. 
    Fairly certain the original's set it came in is not too expensive in the secondary market
    Pitfall69kiki180703VBaskin2008
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 3,743 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,321
    ^I can be had for around the price of the current set with the Quinjet.
    VBaskin2008
    Lord knows I'm sitting on a stack of them....lol
    Pitfall69Bumblepantskiki180703VBaskin2008
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 3,743 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,321
    They do not make a very comfortable seat.
    Grimlockbandit778kiki180703Pitfall69VBaskin2008
  • GrimlockGrimlock Liverpool, UKMember Posts: 7
    Easy question, that - the first one.
    VBaskin2008
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,931

I avoided the first QJ because I was focussing on the minifigs at the time, and it only had Black Widow (IIRC) that I couldn't get in other (cheaper) sets and I didn't think it was worth it.

Since then the second QJ came out and had The Vision and Black Widow in it, so I got that.

Now this thread has upset me as I'm doubting my decisions.

So in an attempt to reconcile my cognitive dissonance, I shall say that the first QJ looks a bit bulbous behind the front cockpit, the swing-wings don't quite work, the colours are boring (if authentic) and what's with that red technic bar visible from the rear exit? Could they not have made it black, grey or dark blue?

Actually, it's a very good-looking set. Bums. Hey, maybe they'll produce a UCS QJ? THAT'S the one to buy!

LucentVBaskin2008MattDawson
    As long as it doesn't include nano-figures...
    Pitfall69VBaskin2008yys4u
    Would be cool if they did UCS QJ based on the agents of SHIELD tv series...
    MaffyDCoolguy5000kiki180703VBaskin2008
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,844
    I'm thinking of getting airport battle for my first quinjet because it looks like the best value for money and has the best minifigs, though I would rather have a bigger quinjet. the last year one seems to be a nice size but looks awkward, in particular, not that sleek.
    the original one looks pretty cool, but like maffyD I think the color are more interesting on the 2 other ones. also it looks pretty massive and could be difficult to display.
    VBaskin2008
  • TwoToneBricksTwoToneBricks KCMember Posts: 37
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on #6869 and paid just under retail suprisingly. I should have done research before assuming I'd be paying double for it. Anyways I'm happy to be getting a decent size jet, yet I'm still eyeing the new airport battle simply for the figs. That giant man is looking pretty legit
    catwranglerkiki180703VBaskin2008
    I'm still eyeing the new airport battle simply for the figs. That giant man is looking pretty legit
    It's really good for minifigs. Just finished building Giant-Man and he's very cool. Will be starting on the QJ this evening, or maybe tomorrow evening. I can't multi-task TV and Lego, and my Sky box is 90% full!
    VBaskin2008
    A used one  (6869) has been listed on eBay at £39.99 or best offer (plus a tenner postage). Bargain!
    VBaskin2008
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 8,246
    Thanos75 said:
    They do not make a very comfortable seat.
    I'm sure the Wolverine Chopper sets are very comfortable...
    Pitfall69Thanos75VBaskin2008
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 162
    The ones on US ebay go for $70
    VBaskin2008
    edited March 2016
    Those are certainly much easier to sit on for sure. I actually only have two of those left. 
    VBaskin2008

Just finished the new Quinjet and I like it. It is smaller, but it looks good, in proportion and the colours are right. The hidden gun emplacement is a neat feature (my son loved it when he found that) and there is a space in the back for a minifig to stand and a rope to swing from (not much room, so is a bit of an afterthought really...) The cockpit holds 2 minifigs, which is good.

VBaskin2008
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,253
    Having bought and built all three (4 if you count the Avengers Assemble jet) my view is the best is still the first one. It is the most appropriately sized and is reasonably accurate. The second jet is nice, a bit smaller but overall a sleeker finish to the body and the bike launch feature is very good. The latest jet is small, too small, it's almost like the they started and shaped the front and then just gave up, it really is poor in terms of scale and looks silly.

however if you want the sets/figures as well as the jet then the current set is amazing, the giant-man is fantastic and the range and quality of the other figures is worth it. Likewise the Age of Ultron set is great value, excellent figures and the only Vission to date. Arguably the first set has the worst figures of the three.
    BrickDancerkiki180703LegoPegasister2015YodaliciousVBaskin2008
    I completely agree with monkey_roo on this one. My thoughts exactly.
    VBaskin2008
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    The new Quinjet is half baked and tiny. They simply skipped the engines and made it a big drone.

image.jpeg 1013.1K
    pharmjodkiki180703VBaskin2008
    QuinJets apparently are fueled by the tears of Unicorns?  Thus, they need no engines...
    VBaskin2008
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 559
    I must be the only one who prefers the AoU version. It's big-ish, looks right, has good play features, and has engines.
    VBaskin2008
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,844
    I think the brickshow said they would do a video comparing all quinjets but it doesn't look like they've done it yet
    VBaskin2008
  • Second_NatureSecond_Nature Newmarket- ON, CanadaMember Posts: 2
    I like the AoU version actually. I like the playability of it (the drop chute with C.-A. motorcycle is cool) along with the rear hatch.  but if I had to pick one of my favorite Marvel ships it would be the Milano from Guardians of the Galaxy! 
    VBaskin2008MaffyD
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,577
    edited April 2016
    There is a comparison piece in the new edition of Blocks on all three Quinjets together if anybody needs a bit more of an idea without buying them.
    VBaskin2008
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,526
    ^ Yeah, but who's gonna' fly it, kid? You?

Oh no, wait. Wrong franchise. ;oP
    SumoLegochuckpcatwranglerGothamConstructionCobandit778Lego_StarBumblepantsGoldchainsVBaskin2008
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 448
    tecjam said:
    I've yet to build one, but I'm about to start at the top.

Maybe you should build from bottom up.
    Itmight be a bit less disappointing this way.
    VBaskin2008
  • tecjamtecjam Germany / SwitzerlandMember Posts: 255
    It's too late for that now, I'm afraid. I actually went top, bottom and soon middle ...

I can post a pic with all 3 side by side if anyone wants it.
    VBaskin2008MattDawson
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,332
    Still kicking myself for not getting the first one. Especially when it was on clearance for so long. 
    VBaskin2008
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,572
    I like the smallest one, but I think that's mainly down to the SNOT nature of it and a preference for the cockpit canopy it has over the other 2.
    VBaskin2008
    tecjam said:
    I can post a pic with all 3 side by side if anyone wants it.
    In the meantime, we can just view the above photo with our screens turned sideways. ;oP
    VBaskin2008
    ^ My phone keeps moving the screen.  I'll try my iPad.  I'll never get to see these things side-by-side!
    VBaskin2008
    Put the phone down, and move self? :0D
    VBaskin2008
    ^ That'll make me dizzy.
    VBaskin2008
    Well, obviously my cognitive dissonance wasn't going to go away any time soon, but I'm quite surprised and pleased that my wife has turned out to be a psychic and got me the original Quinjet! Yay! I wouldn't hold your breath for all three sat next to each other for a comparison though - takes me too much time just to keep up to date on this forum!
    catwrangler
    edited September 2016
    Three months later...

So, someone asked ages ago about which Quinjet would be the best one to get. While opinions vary, I thought I'd have a stab at comparing and contrasting the 3 models from the range we have at the minute. I'm not going to cover the 2 polybags. And I'm not covering the Helicarrier version either (if you're buying a Helicarrier just to get the Quinjets, I can't help you). Usual caveats about me missing stuff out, not building them properly and not being familiar enough with the source material apply! I'm sure people downthread will correct me, and I'm fairly open to collaboration/challenge anyway!
    The three models are:

Grey Quinjet/Original Quinjet/Avengers Quinjet:
    Set #6869 : Quinjet Aerial Battle

White Quinjet/Second Quinjet/Ultron Quinjet:
    Set #76032 : The Avengers Quinjet City Chase

Blue Quinjet/Third Quinjet/Civil War Quinjet:
    Set #76051 : Super Hero Airport Battle

Anyone who just wants a bunch of photos can go to the next post (where they can also see my dining room tablecloth)!

Size/proportions/capacity:

So, the first thing to acknowledge is size. The original Quinjet is obviously bigger than the other two. It has more space inside, more structure on the outside to give it shape, and looks more imposing. It can fit 3 minifigs seated, along with about 4 standing in the back.

The Ultron Quinjet has a wider wingspan than the original one, but the wings are less substantial. It is also thinner in every other dimension too, not by much, but the overall impression is noticeable. It can seat 2 minifigs (one has to be on a motorbike though) and has room for maybe two more standing at the rear.

The Blue Quinjet is small. About two-thirds the size of the Original Quinjet, but has wide, thin wings similar to the Ultron Quinjet. It can seat 2 minifigs (just about), and amazingly can still have one more standing in the back (again, it's a bit of a squeeze).

Features:

The Avengers Quinjet is mainly space for minifigs, so it has multiple hatches for access. It also has retractable flick-fire missiles, and a drone deployment mechanism. Must mention the adjustable wings, which I suppose look similar to the film. No nose-mounted cannon though.

The Ultron Quinjet has tried to pack in a lot of features: motorbike deployment mechanism (which is really very good), minifig rope, retractable stud-shooter battery (and two more on the roof), adjustable wings and a rear hatch. It does a lot with what it has.

The Civil War Quinjet has a stud-shooter battery deployment mechanism, a rear hatch with rope and adjustable wings. That's it.

Accuracy/Visual impact:

The Grey Quinjet is visually arresting, despite its overall greyness. It looks good when swooshing or when stationary (especially with the wings adjusted just so), looks movie accurate as far as Lego can be and the massive S.H.I.E.L.D. logo easily marks it out as an Avengers model. The wheels elevate it quite a bit so it stands proud on any surface, and the angled cockpit looks aggressive and purposeful.

The White Quinjet (white and blue if I'm being honest) is a lot more sleek than the original, and all the wings have more range of adjustment (there's about 12 points of articulation on them). The colour scheme is more attractive, and it keeps the angled cockpit. The stickers on this jet also make it look a lot better, although I still wish for more printed tiles.

The Blue Quinjet only has one issue in the looks department - no angled cockpit. It's really noticeable when compared to the other two, despite the rest of the shape looking really well contoured. It's still not shabby-looking though, despite the knob that sticks out of the roof, and the colour-scheme is well thought out.

Niggles/Issues:

The First Quinjet drone deployment mechanism is awkward, and I worry it'll break if I press too hard. It also has really big wheel mounts, which look a little out of place when flying it around. Still not sure about those adjustable wings...

The Second Quinjet is almost prefect, even if some of the wing articulation points are a bit fragile.

The Third Quinjet has it's nose to worry about, along with the size (but that has benefits too, if you don't have much space for a bigger display). For me, the rear wheels touch the fuselage, so rolling it becomes a bit awkward as they stick.

For all of them (and this has nothing to do with Lego) they are missing at least two jet engines. The aircraft is called a Quinjet because it has five engines. None of the films have ever shown one with the right number!

Overall:

Because it is the biggest, and it came first, the Original Quinjet will always be special. It's the most imposing and has more shape to its structure (because the film version did something similar). However, the colour is a bit boring when compared to the other two.

The Ultron Quinjet ticks all the right boxes, but because it's not quite as big, and doesn't have as distinctive a shape, it does seem to suffer. Put both of them on a grey surface, and it quickly begins to look better!

The Blue Quinjet is always going to be an add-on, rather than the main event. But that's no bad thing, as it won't distract from any other models sat next to it, only complement them (which I think is the point).

I hope this helps someone, and happy to discuss!
    LegoboyricecakestluxBrinstar85
    Front view:

Back view:

Top view (annoyingly, I seem to have switched the middle and right quinjets here, sorry):

Perspective view:

Cockpits:

Hatches:

Fuselage:

Apologies if this eats up someone's bandwidth - I DID resize them, promise!
    luckyrussraygunnchrisalddinricecakestluxsklambLittleLoriLegoboycatwrangler
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 992
    Thanks for the review! Reminded me that I have #6869 awaiting completion, just need to find the front cockpit and engines in the bins of unsorted parts...
    MaffyD