Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Is Scooby Doo himself not considered a minifigure?

happyskunkyhappyskunky Michigan Member Posts: 133
edited April 2016 in Brickset.com
The Scooby doos from the sets I have are not showing up in my minifigure gallery.  I am just wondering why

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,179
    Because the minifigure is a trademark and only figures which substantially match that design can be called minifigures. Lego doesn't call him a minifigure and therefore he isn't classified as one by Brickset and BrickLink. 
  • happyskunkyhappyskunky Michigan Member Posts: 133
    And yet unikitty is. Maked no sense.
    AanchirMattDawson
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,288
    I believe Brickset pulls that data from bricklink, the classification there is often loose unfortunately. I tend to count any character as a "minifigure" myself so find it similarly annoying, but ultimately it makes little difference to me.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,179
    Unikitty shouldn't be.  I agree the inconsistency is annoying. 
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 220
    I wonder if Lego themselves don't consider Scooby Doo to be a minifigure. On the boxes he's displayed in a different way to the traditional minifigures on the top of the box - on a different background and without a name.

That said, they could just consider it unnecessary to name him there and do include him with name alongside the others on the front of the box.

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,847
    RogerKirk said:
    I wonder if Lego themselves don't consider Scooby Doo to be a minifigure. On the boxes he's displayed in a different way to the traditional minifigures on the top of the box - on a different background and without a name.

That said, they could just consider it unnecessary to name him there and do include him with name alongside the others on the front of the box.

Someone from Lego told me that Scooby is considered a minifig and I was curious about the dinos from the Jurassic park sets and those are not they are considered as animals. 
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 751
    As per above, I'd have thought that Scooby Dooby Dooooo got classified as an animal, as per the various dogs and cats that we're finding in all sorts of sets?
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKMember Posts: 1,639
    edited May 2016
    ^&^^ I believe they are classified as animals when they can't talk - so Scooby is a minifigure as he can talk (and so is Unikitty).  Dinosaurs can't talk so they go in animals. Also, this guy from series 2 is classified as an animal:

sklambandhebendybadgerTheBigLegoski
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 751
    How about Scrappy Doo?  He would get a similar minifig as Scooby (smaller, obviously), but inexplicably has a much better grasp of the English language.  Animal, Minifig or mineral? :D
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,067
    LEGO do not call Scooby Doo a minifigure. Take a look at the description for the sets. Eg. The Mystery Machine contains three minifigures, Fred, Shaggy and Zombie/Zeke, plus Scooby Doo. If he was a minifig, they'd say four.
    ^ah, but on their description for the The Twiglight (#7680) they say:
    Includes Anakin Skywalker, Ahsoka and R2-D2 minifigures, plus Rotta the Huttlet!

But Rotta appears as a minifigure on Brickset and Bricklink.

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,288
    Because whoever submitted the inventory to bricklink put him in the minifigure catagory.
    andhe
    ^^ And that was from before they used the definitive number of minifigures in the description.

And as Shib says, if it goes on BL as a minifig and it is approved, then it will be imported into brickset like that.

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,396
    Unikitty shouldn't be.  I agree the inconsistency is annoying. 
    "Also NO consistency!"
    BumblepantsAanchirLyichir
    So is there an official Lego description to what constitutes a minifig?
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    So is there an official Lego description to what constitutes a minifig?
    Whatever suits the marketing department. Next week may be different.

I think they describe everything with a torso as a minifigure, but the odd things like R2-D2, Unikitty and skeletons are probably fairly random. When it comes to skeletons, they probably not even consistent about whether they are or are not.
    edited May 2016
    Since they have been explicitly numbering minifigures in the description, I don't think skeletons have ever counted.

Dol Guldur Battle was an interesting one. The statue is not counted as a minifigure, even though it contains a head, torso and skirt / dress slope. Similarly, City Square has the description "Includes 12 minifigures with assorted accessories: a tram driver, helicopter pilot, coffee shop saleswoman, pizza deliveryman, car saleswoman, mechanic, tow truck driver, hotdog salesman, LEGOsales person, LEGO delivery driver, a girl and a boy. Also includes 2 LEGO store statues." In this case, the statues (Knight and Futuron) even have printed faces, but they are not counted as minifigures by LEGO since they are not "alive".

So having a torso is not enough, it seems it has to represent a person that is alive.

The current and recent SW descriptions have treated RD-D2 and BB-8 as droids, rather than minifigures, not including them in the minifigure count. Although in 2012 (#9490) R2 was described as a minifigure. C-3PO seems to be called a minifigure most / all of the time. So droids are alive.

But then Nexo Knights throws up more inconsistencies. Scurriers, the Chef and Clay Bots are minfiigures, despite not having regular torsos. Scurriers are probably OK as they do have torsos just not regular ones. But the Chef / Clay Bots seem more skeleton-like than minifigure like. Maybe they count as they are alive, whereas skeletons are dead.

So it would be interesting if there was a set with a skeleton that was alive (like in Jason and the Argonauts).

^the skeletons in Ninjago are alive.  I believe they're also in some upcoming sets so we will know for them soon enough.
    CCC said:
    Since they have been explicitly numbering minifigures in the description, I don't think skeletons have ever counted.
    #9349 "includes 22 minifigures" - two of them are skeletons. With swords (and hats) too, so does that mean they're alive?
    The current and recent SW descriptions have treated RD-D2 and BB-8 as droids
    #10225 "includes fact plaque and R2-D2 minifigure!"
    So having a torso is not enough, it seems it has to represent a person that is alive.
    Lady Liberty is a minifigure. If she's alive, that colour of green suggests she's extremely ill.

I subscribe to the view that once something is described as a minifigure, it always is. Usage may change in the future, but that doesn't affect the past. As I said, I think it, like most terms connected with LEGO products, will be used on a whim and without any consistency or even any real thought.
    TigerMoth said:

#9349 "includes 22 minifigures" - two of them are skeletons. With swords (and hats) too, so does that mean they're alive?

#10225 "includes fact plaque and R2-D2 minifigure!"
    Lady Liberty is a minifigure. If she's alive, that colour of green suggests she's extremely ill.

I subscribe to the view that once something is described as a minifigure, it always is. Usage may change in the future, but that doesn't affect the past. As I said, I think it, like most terms connected with LEGO products, will be used on a whim and without any consistency or even any real thought.
    Those sets are all from 2012, which is about the time that lego started to remove skeletons from the minifigure detail boxes in the cover art and start to include the longer descriptions explicitly numbering the number of minifigs (about 2011/12, Diagonal Alley they don't count and are not in the display box, but Wampa Cave is included). Are there further examples post-2012 where skeletons are included? I imagine as they are wearing hats in that set that they are deemed as alive.

I guess anything in the Minifigures series is by default classed as a minifigure, whatever it represents. Medusa and the witches are similar colours. Zombies are also included even though they are (un)dead.

But it is clear that just because something has a regular torso, it is not necessarily counted as a minifigure (currently). It can have all of a hat, regular head, torso and legs and still not be counted.

CCC said:

Are there further examples post-2012 where skeletons are included?
    If you really want to pursue that sort of question, stick "minifigure" into the search box on the main site. The sets you get back tend to be those that make claims about minifigures in the descriptions.

I started looking for an answer yesterday but quickly gave up when I realised there was little consistency.

I don't imagine you'll find a definitive answer and probably just raise even more questions.
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,015
    #10679 includes two mini figures - the pirate, and a skeleton. However, the Lego Shop description says "Includes a pirate minifigure plus a skeleton and shark"
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    I like it when things are consistently inconsistant.  Long may the Chaos reign.  Scooby is an animal to me and should be classed as such but I would still display him with my minifigures as he completes the team. Segregation is a bad thing.  :)
    MattDawson
  • dstrohmengerdstrohmenger BuffaloMember Posts: 2
    The LEGO Scooby-Doo movie says "includes exclusive LEGO Scooby-Doo minifigure" on the front.
    The LEGO Scooby-Doo movie says "includes exclusive LEGO Scooby-Doo minifigure" on the front.

Debate closed lol

edited June 2016

Debate closed lol

Lego aren't responsible for the artwork on DVD packaging though.

In the advertising text (on amazon and so on) it is described as a figurine, not a minifigure.
  • ChrisJThunderChrisJThunder United StatesMember Posts: 115
    I remain convinced that there is no consistent official definition of a minifigure. Personally I would just include all characters released in sets, but even then that's not a very watertight definition. The plot thickens ...
    I remain convinced that there is no consistent official definition of a minifigure.
    There's no official definition of anything. "UCS", anyone? All terms are used as and when somebody feels it's advantageous to do so.
    Oldfan
  • bok2bok2 Member Posts: 51
    edited June 2016
    I hope Pluto will show up as a Disney CMF - and Lady - and the Tramp - and...
    edited June 2016
    I doubt Pluto will be a CMF, he wouldn't look right with a regular torso and legs. Maybe with a CMF like Santa's Little Helper was.
  • bok2bok2 Member Posts: 51
    In respect of Pluto I had a "non-minifigure" style CMF in mind - like Scooby Doo.
  • bendybadgerbendybadger 127.0.0.1 ::1Member Posts: 1,141
    ^so is Scooby Doo not considered a minifigure?  and so it begins.. the circle of doo
    bok2 said:
    In respect of Pluto I had a "non-minifigure" style CMF in mind - like Scooby Doo.
    That has never been done (so far) in a CMF series.
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 220
    CCC said:
    bok2 said:
    That has never been done (so far) in a CMF series.
    Maybe if Pluto were small, like Santas LIttle Helper or Snowball from the Simpsons CMF, then he could appear alongside another character? Would make an additional Mickey Mouse desirable perhaps?
    ^ As noted a few posts up.