Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Any way to add a feature for inflation-adjusted price/price-per-piece?

AanchirAanchir United StatesPosts: 2,151
Just curious. It's something I find myself looking up a lot when I read ignorant comments on sites like Facebook about how "LEGO today is too expensive", but usually if I want to get a sense of what older sets' actual prices would have been in today's money I have to look up sets individually and plug their prices into a site with an inflation calculator like http://www.wolframalpha.com/. There's no easy way to simply browse by inflation-adjusted price/PPP or even to find that info without going to another site.

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKPosts: 5,660
    Someone else asked for this and if I can find a way to add it I will do.

I guess all that's needed is a formula in the form of a function that takes a year as a parameter and a price and returns the price in today's money.

A different formula would be needed for different countries, but the US and UK would be a good start.

I've had a quick Google but haven't found anything yet. Anyone know where to look?

• snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumPosts: 1,567
    edited May 2016
    I think the easiest and most correct way for this would be to use the Consumer Price Index.

You can find these per year, for example http://www.bls.gov/cpi/data.htm has the data for the US. Most countries should have them in downloadable format. I can help you find them if you want, but will have to wait till next week.

Then you do:

Real price in historical year
    x (CPI now / historical CPI)
    = Price adjusted for inflation now

Would that be doable?
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumPosts: 1,567
    Or did I misunderstand your question and are you looking for the HTML formula out something - because I can't help with the IT part. I could help with excel and maths things though ;)
  • FauchFauch FrancePosts: 1,536
    you will probably also need a table to store your variables. inflation rate by country and by year. (though for very old sets that would mean quite a lot of calculations, or maybe you could have a function doing the calculations once every year and storing the resulting prices somewhere). Also there is the change of currency in the EU.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKPosts: 5,660
    Programming isn't a problem one I know the formula and methodology.
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKPosts: 826
    Wouldn't the easiest thing to do is store a table of previous year's value in today's value (e.g. 1 dollar in 1990 equates to 0.86 in todays, for example) and then simply work out release price x today's value?
  • MattsWhatMattsWhat Studley, UKPosts: 1,634
    ^you would have to update the table every year which would be a faff.