Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Wanted! Bar 4Ls & Lightsaber Hilts in a few rare colours

VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 1,732
After Bar 4Ls the following colours:
 • Trans-Clear
 • Trans-Black (also known as Trans-Brown) *
 • Trans-Green (not Trans-Bright Green or Trans-Neon Green) *
 • Trans-Medium Blue (also known as Trans-Fluorescent Blue)

Also after Lightsaber Hilts in Copper.

* (or other pieces like Bar 6.6L that could modified to Bar 4L)
xiahna

Comments

• VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 1,732
    Guessing I'll have to just keep an eye BrickLink & BrickOwl then. :(
    xiahna
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,746
    keep some stores like this guy in your favorites list. Sometimes new non-production parts will pop up. ;)

http://www.bricklink.com/store/home.page?p=MAGICBRICKS#/shop?o={"showHomeItems":1}
    @bobabricks, thanks for that, although someone already put me on to him previously, think it might have @Istokg. I have bought from MagicBricks before, great for parts that don't exist according to Brickset/Rebrickable/BrickLink/BrickOwl, unfortunately he has none of those parts at this time.
    xiahna
    Yeah, that's why it's just good to check in regularly at a few stores. These parts are just test strikes that happen all the time and new colors come up all the time. 
    edited July 2016
    I suspect that some parts that the rare parts sellers get in colours that aren't from any sets, might exist for three reasons.

1) Production overruns from special orders for Lego displays/Lego artists. Say someone needs 200 lime Bar 4Ls for a special project, TLG makes 300 just to be sure they have enough, but ended up with extras.

2) Meant for a set, but TLG chose to substitute the part for another colour. Could be either that someone felt the part didn't look good in the set in that colour, or they had a minor quality control issue, so there wasn't enough of the part in the planned colour to meet production.

3) Meant for a cancelled set.
    bobabrickskiki180703xiahna
    Your first point is definitely true for things like the light flesh bricks and plates, but display models are usually made exclusively with bricks, not specialized pieces. 

It it is known that red is the common test strike color and TLG has also been known to test some parts using transparent plastic to see what the durability is since the transparent plastic is actually a different chemical compound that is more brittle. The reason why we have yet to get a full transparent minifig is actually because the trans plastic is too brittle to be made into the hand pieces, shame.

Your other points also make sense, but more along the lines of production costs. Colors may be substituted if Lego feels that a certain part may never be used again in the certain color and is not necessary to the set in said color. The more unnecessary part colors (and molds, but that's a whole other topic!) that are in production = higher production costs.

there are definitely some unexplainable ones like my trans light blue 6x8 cockpit piece I picked up a little while ago. It wasn't being tested as a trans part as the part already exists in trans red, or the dark bluish grey airplane roofs. Maybe a rogue factory employee having a little fun? Ha ha!
    VorpalRyu
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,836
    edited July 2016
    There's a 4th twist to how parts get out of TLG... and that is in rare circumstances... such as the 2006 version of the Maersk Line Container Ship.  TLG ran out of the Maersk blue 2x4 bricks as the production run was nearing its' end.  

So rather than run off another batch, they asked the model shops for any Maersk blue 2x4 bricks (there were 4 to a set).  TLG was able to complete the number of 10152 sets using these parts... but they ended up getting older 3001old 2x4 bricks in that color that were older (pre 1990s) bricks without cross-supports underneath, and all the 3001old bricks available in Maersk blue are from that 2006 version of the 10152 set.  So sometimes model shop parts do make it into production sets.

The Bricklink catalog however doesn't mention this as an alternate part.
    SprinkleOtterbobabricksVorpalRyukiki180703
    So if I ever get a set with older parts that don't match the instruction book list, then I may just have parts that had originally been part of the model shops' inventories.

Any chance you might know of any sellers I could make inquiries with on the parts I've mentioned? It's times like this I wish I had more knowledge of plastics, I'd consider making my own stand in then... I have more exotic items on my want list, but I'm figuring chances of those items are probably less than zero.
    xiahna
  • dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 87
    For Trans Clear you can use non-LEGO Plastruct 1/8" acrylic rod. It comes in 9" lengths and can be cut down to any length. They are also bubble free and come in other colors. The Neon Green (Lightsaber Blade Green?) is a near exact match to LEGO. Search for "Plastruct acrylic rod 1/8")
    I've got both Antennas (1x4) & Bar 12Ls (with 1x2 Plate) in Trans-Clear, so if I can't source Bar 4Ls in Trans Clear, I do have something that I can trim down. As for non-Lego, yeah, personally not something I'd be happy with, especially since I know the there are components that could be converted to Bar 4L dimensions, at least for the original Trans-Green.
    xiahna
    Managed to acquire a few trans-medium blue Bar 4Ls, so not as wanted as the rest now, just wanting five more, if I can get them.
    xiahna
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 480
    Are you actually making light sabers with these, or do you just want to collect them because they're rare?
    Wanting them for a Star Wars MOC, based on my character I created back when I was involved in a place called the Holocron Chat Network (I was one of the creators).
    xiahna
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 480
    Cool, love to see it when it's done.  I'm surprised that part hasn't been made in full production for a wider range of colors - all seem like they would come in useful.
    It would be nice to see the Bar 4L available in all the translucent colours, Lightsabers need more colour variety, in many of the video games there was more than just green, blue & red. My character's main set of Lightsabers were made of a material that looked a lot like copper, so I'd like to have at least two in the TLG copper colour to represent those two (his Master was of the attitude that one should not become attached to a particular weapon, so he built new Lightsabers quite a bit).
    xiahna
    edited April 1
    dehnehsu said:
    For Trans Clear you can use non-LEGO Plastruct 1/8" acrylic rod. It comes in 9" lengths and can be cut down to any length. They are also bubble free and come in other colors. The Neon Green (Lightsaber Blade Green?) is a near exact match to LEGO. Search for "Plastruct acrylic rod 1/8")

Where can I potentially buy such products? Hobby stores? Hardware stores? If Plastruct makes a rod in Polycarbonate approx 0.3mm that would be pretty much spot on.
    xiahna
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 667
    @VorpalRyu if I remember correctly you can get it from hobby shops, or at least you could in the states. It's been a long time since I was in one.

gmonkey76 said:

@VorpalRyu if I remember correctly you can get it from hobby shops, or at least you could in the states. It's been a long time since I was in one.

Hmmm....looks like I'm going to have to take a look around & see if there are any hobby shops left in Adelaide, the three I knew of have either closed down or relocated.
    xiahna
    edited April 2
    I think I've been spoilt by modern websites, because I feel like they need better site navigation & pictures of the actual product so I can do a comparison to Lego Trans-Green.

Product description has it as 3.2mm, while as I understood it Bar 4Ls & all parts made for Minifigure hands is 3.0mm. Has anyone got some of this stuff on hand to test it against a Lego Bar part.
    xiahna
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,099
    edited April 2
    (Have to agree with @VorpalRyu - that website is... basic.  The illustrations aren't much better than my Microsoft Paint masterpieces.)
    VorpalRyukiki180703
  • dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 87
    edited April 2

VorpalRyu said:

I think I've been spoilt by modern websites, because I feel like they need better site navigation & pictures of the actual product so I can do a comparison to Lego Trans-Green.

Product description has it as 3.2mm, while as I understood it Bar 4Ls & all parts made for Minifigure hands is 3.0mm. Has anyone got some of this stuff on hand to test it against a Lego Bar part.

I posted the Plastruct suggestion and found sometimes the bars are just a bit smaller in diameter. Barely enough to make a difference. I just heated the end of the rod with a match and sanded it down when needed the for a tight fit.

Original LEGO Bars shown with bubbles. Plastruct's 1/8" are bubble free. Note the different shade of blue. Green is a near exact match. I rounded the ends with sandpaper.

stlux