Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Duplo MOCs - Can't wait till my kids are old enough for the real stuff...

the1whitetigerthe1whitetiger in a pile of LegoMember Posts: 18
Hi, i am a mom of 4 and I looooove Lego. My oldest one is 4, my youngest are twins, 9 months old. After my son got his first Duplo set 5931 we quickly discovered, that with 30 pieces we were able to build a lot of cool stuff. BUT everytime we wanted to build something even cooler we ran out of some colors, shapes or had no bricks left at all. So I kind of went nuts an bought a bit more duplo. I am not the most creative Lego builder, but I just wanted to show you some projects we built over the past few years. And the best thing: we spent time with the kids! I can't wait till they are old enough to play with small lego, but for now, duplo is okay for me.

My favorite: The throne. It was the perfect size for the kids...

Another one with table. This was actually the first project we did...

A layout. Not as detailed with duplo, but still a lot of fun to play with... My son decided that fighting over things was stupid, so he made sure the Knights discussed the matter first (right tower)

One of manybuilt churches. Our last one had a slot for a smartphone. We played organ music and had enough benches inside for a lot of figures plus a gallery with the organ.

So let me know what you think! We are out of ideas on what to build next. We also had a boat, an airplane, a lighthouse and the usual stuff (barns, houses...). This is only a small amount of the duplo we have, so we hope you have some great ideas for us!

MattsWhatWicksy80samiam391snowhitiebandit778ew027TheBigLegoskiTheOriginalSimonBlordzarakdrdavewatfordJooTogBrickDancerthebeermonkeyToc13jason1976catwranglerryjayBobflippharmjodtallblocktooAdzbadboyRsa33wardmred237BrickmanFowlerBricksmak0137CupIsHalfEmptyJohnyk668bookmumPeteMSirBrickalotOfLego

Comments

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 3,970
    edited June 2016
    I love it!

You actually make Duplo look exciting which I never thought was possible. 

Can't wait to see what you all design when your kids graduate to the LEGO brick!
    pharmjodtamamahm
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 1,793
    This is great. I agree with @samiam391, can't wait to see what you come up with with Lego.

We used to like building a big zoo (we had all the zoo and farmyard sets so lots of animals). we liked I have a cold section with penguins and polar bears, then a foresty bit, etc.

How about a spaceship? Or a car they can sit in?

Thanks for sharing these.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,680

I'd like to think that you bought that cabinet because the height was equal to an integer number of lego / duplo bricks.

Fantastic builds.

When my kids were young, I got them 14 of the castle wall sections. One of their favourite pastimes was building a tall thin castle. Probably as they had to stand on furniture / my shoulders to build it, and then I still had to finish the top as it was so high.
    catwranglerstlux
  • the1whitetigerthe1whitetiger in a pile of LegoMember Posts: 18
    Well back then I was surprised that it was the perfect height. We just bought a house and since we couldn't find furniture to display our "small" Lego, we decided to design our own furniture. I will have a display for my minifigures soon and an island in the middle of our living room for display (can't wait to build my winter scene this year). Away from all windows and high enough to keep 1 year olds from eating my lego...

And yes! Everything is possible with duplo when you have a load full of bricks. Will be so happy when I sell the duplo and have more money to spend on - well, lego of course...
    catwrangler
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,260
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 561
    I've been thinking about building a #497 Galaxy Explorer out of Duplo, just to see how closely I can match the System design in the larger scale with a more limited part selection.  It's good to see that there is plenty of grey Duplo bricks around to try and attempt this (even though it's the new gray instead of the classic...).  Thanks for sharing!
    catwrangler
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,680
    The problem with duplo is that there are very few angled / wedge plates so anything with that diamond type shape is going to be tough. My kids used to love doing planes but they always ended up quite boxy / square winged.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,523
    I love these, especially the waterfall! 
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 839
    I have three children also, a girl and twins boys....they grow up very quickly....enjoy the Duplos....all too soon it will be yesterday. :)
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,281
    edited September 9
    Threw this together last night, the boy was delighted....

Duplo is exciting @samiam391
    mak0137stluxbookmumJohnyk668Toc13datsunrobbiecatwrangler
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 910
    I love these!! I got my daughter some duplo when she was about 18 months old. Not much - just a small tub and a plane. But we never really added to it. She 'up graded' to the regular stuff fairly quick - OK I confess there was some Other Brand Hello Kitty bits involved. A couple of weeks ago though I came across a Little Mermaid duplo set in a charity shop. I just couldn't resist it and daughter loves it and has been building loads with it! ! She is 9 now!! Is it time for AFODs to announce themselves to the world!! 
    AleyditaAllBrickcatwrangler
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,281
    It's all I really get to freestyle with otherwise it's just sets... All my loose stuff is in storage limbo. 

I would like to do a Duplo build and use every single piece one day, which is quite a lot.