Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Train Speed Regulator 70931

I recently got a High Speed Train in a job lot, but it did not contain the power converter for the control board. The cheapest on Bricklink are $30-$40, so I was wondering if there are any non-LEGO versions of this part, as it looks to me to be a generic power cord. Does anyone know what kind of output the cord is?

Comments

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,396
    Or if anyone here has any they would like to sell, I would be interested for a fair price.
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    I recently got a High Speed Train in a job lot, but it did not contain the power converter for the control board. The cheapest on Bricklink are $30-$40, so I was wondering if there are any non-LEGO versions of this part, as it looks to me to be a generic power cord. Does anyone know what kind of output the cord is?
    If you look at the larger photo so you can see the details, you'll see it says "DC 12V 200 mA" with a line of circles which indicate that the tip is the positive.

Clearly the input voltage has to match your country, but for the output, anything that fits, produces 12V and at least 200 mA (don't go mad - keep it down) and the correct polarity on the output lead will do.

You can usually get such things with interchangeable plugs.

I'd be surprised if you can't just walk into a slightly geeky electronics place (i.e. more PC components than PCs - take the photo) and walk out with one for $5.
    SprinkleOtterrd1899
  • EdmicEdmic ZürichMember Posts: 102
    Write down: DC 12V 200mA
    Take along your train as example of the proper connection

Go to your local building market or electronics store or pay much much less.

Or if your speed regulator has a sticker on it with what it needs for input than just forget all other info and only take that along.

And damn those prices on bricklink, are people insane, those are just standard old things, i would prefer a new one above those old things anyway.
    MattDawsonSprinkleOtterstluxkiki180703
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 223
    These are a standard "AC Adapter" as we call them in the US.    You can find them for under $10--just make sure to bring the speed control along to make sure the plug is the right size! 
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 480
    I similarly have a couple train regulators without the power adapters, but mine came with the old 9v motors. Will a 12v adapter burn out these motors? Do I need to find a 9v adapter?

TigerMoth said:

Clearly the input voltage has to match your country, but for the output, anything that fits, produces 12V and at least 200 mA (don't go mad - keep it down) and the correct polarity on the output lead will do.

Would 12v with 1600 mA be to much power? I happen to have an adapter with those specs sitting around.
  • EdmicEdmic ZürichMember Posts: 102
    SirBen said:
    I similarly have a couple train regulators without the power adapters, but mine came with the old 9v motors. Will a 12v adapter burn out these motors? Do I need to find a 9v adapter?
    Would 12v with 1600 mA be to much power? I happen to have an adapter with those specs sitting around.
    12V is only 3V more than 9V, but also 33% which infact is huge, you'd be better of finding a 9V instead of risking to toast your motor in the long run.

1600mA maximum would technically be no problem, however do keep in mind that if there's ever a problem with the motor that the power that can be consumed is always the maximum the power supply can deliver. And your wires might not even be qualified for such Amps. You could do 1600mA but i'd set an extra .250F glasfuse in it in such case.
    SirBen
  • TigerMothTigerMoth Member Posts: 2,343
    SirBen said:

TigerMoth said:

In general terms, the polarity and the voltage should be exactly right. You might get away with, say a 10% over-voltage, and an under-voltage will either work or it won't.

The current is different and it depends on the power supply - and you've no way of knowing. The motor, or whatever, will try to draw a particular current. The power supply must be able to supply that, or there's a risk it goes pop - or it might protect itself. In the same way, you can't tell what will happen in a fault condition. If a motor tries to draw too much current, a higher-rated supply will let it do so quite happily, but so might a lower-rated one to the extent of destroying itself.

If it's supposed to be 200 mA, don't use a replacement that's under that. If you've got one that's 1600 mA, use it, but aim to replace it when you know everything works and before you want to make heavy use of it.
    SirBen
  • canon03canon03 USAMember Posts: 293
    I bought some from allied electronics for just under $10, and they work great.  Just slightly under spec, but the plug into the regulator is perfect and they run the trains just fine.

http://www.alliedelec.com/stancor-sta-4110/70213371/
    Model: STA-4110
    Power Supply; Wall Plug-In; 120 VAC in; 10VAC 700mA out; unregulated

• datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 917
    Is the output of the transformer AC or DC? The Bricklink page shows a picture of a transformer labeled 12V AC out, with a caption that says 12V DC out. The posts above mention both. I've seen a lot of musical gear fried because of plugging in the wrong adapter. I really want to try out a recently acquired #4561, but I'm worried about letting the magic smoke out. The input on the train speed regulator 2868b is labeled "9 - 12v"
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,941
    If all of the equipment is factory Lego then you're fine. I have always believed that the output voltage is DC.