Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

when coming out of the dark age ...

brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
all those sets you aquired when coming out of your dark age! when you bought them, did you buy them to build them?
did you unbox a lot of sets. what kind of themes did reignite your interest in lego. did your favorite themes ever change in all of your "afol life" ? have you been more into figs, building or whatever ?

i have a confession to make:
the only things i might ever unbox are modulars or sets i get 50% off. its not that i dont want to unbox them. but everytime i go ahead having a look at my fabulous misb collection for choosing something to build, i have a really hard time. somehow all of a sudden things pop up in my mind, like finishing my childhood sets, put something new on bricklink, continue with my temple-grounds-modular-city-moc, admire my monster minifig collection, dismantle a set i put on display (wether for fast shipping if sold or for making new display room or just not digging said set anymore), re-organising display space, bricklinking, browsing mocs on various websites (read hispabrick magazine tutorials, classic-castle.com) ....   oh. and SORTING! its a never ending story! but i like it. the state of mind when sorting is soothing and relaxing to me.
with modulars i cant resist unboxing them, you get the right experience for that money! plus a whole lot a useful parts.
they hit the nail on the head with the modular line!
catwrangler

Comments

• TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 777
    I'm coming up to a year now, but have yet to acquire a huge selection. Just been picking up sets I fancy at reasonably regular intervals and building as I go.  Display space is limited so I have regular changes.

The only unbuilt set in this house is the first part of the November building competition prize.
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 822
    I am also coming up to a year now... for the second time.

Star Wars triggered the first event. I only bought Star Wars sets and nothing else (no USC; the ex-wife did not allowed that kind of expenditure), and will open and build the set as soon as I got home. But limited display space made me stop buying as it became buy -> build -> store.

My second back was last year when I saw the Bing Bang Theory set. As a fan of the show it was a must-buy for me. I enjoyed so much that decided to visit the local LEGO store and get one of those "big" (USC) sets that now I can afford (and that the imaginary fiancé does not complain about).

It's been a slippery slope ever since... I have bought 180+ sets, not counting polybags, Mixels and Dimensions. Most of them are unopened because, again, I do not have display space and I am also running out of storage space. But they will be open and build at some point.

A few weeks back I notice the hit in the bank account and decided to exercise some control when buying LEGO (have some kind of budget, limit the themes I buy, etc.). As a result, for example, I will not be getting the Big Ben in favor of the Disney Castle.
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 472
    I've had a fairly wide range of interests when purchasing Lego as an AFOL.  I had so far built everything I bought but currently have a bit of a backlog.  Its summer here and it might be nice to save some of this list for winter weekends off.  However with some time off soon I may get a number of those built anyways.  It has come to nearly a year of purchasing and i definitely need to cut down on the wide number of sets I buy.  i think I will likely stick to mostly Creator, Lego Ideas and CMF's.  I've bought from 22 out of 36 themes as Lego categorizes them.  Definitely need a little more focus.  
  • brumeybrumey AustriaMember Posts: 994
    i cant resist NOT unboxing a misb modular!
    tallblocktoo
  • RecceRecce 10,171km away from BillundMember Posts: 629
    I started buying lots of Lego sets somewhere in 2012, so 4 years now. So far I've fixed up around 200-300 sets, and that's like 10% of my collection. 

As of now I definitely cannot open a lot of sets due to limited space left, and hence also skipped most of the new sets released this year. 

I have interest in many themes, with full collections of some themes like LOTR & Hobbit, Monster Fighters, Lego Movie, The Lone Ranger, TMNT etc. Other themes which I have more than 2/3 of includes Super Heroes, Friends, Angry birds, Scooby-Doo. 

I will also get sets from various themes when they're heavily discounted (for parts).