Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Those annoying banner ads that creep up from the bottom on Brickset.com... Can I stop them?!?

austin3thanaustin3than Austin, TX, USAMember Posts: 16
Is anyone getting those banner ads that come up from the bottom on brickset.com?  I'm avoiding the site more and more because of them...  Is there a way to stop them?  Thanks for any help!!

-3than

Comments

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,831
    edited August 2016
    If you log in they should go away.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,681
    edited August 2016
    Yes, log in and you'll not be troubled by any advertising at all. They are there to monetise casual users.
    bobabrickskiki180703PaperballparksnowhitieClutchPower
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    I only have a forum login, and thats been working out for me so far. Now I cannot navigate the main page without this annoying "test the iPhone 7" popup that keeps taking me away from brickset and unable to abort. 
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,494
    It's a malvertisement you're seeing. You might be infected, hopefully not. Checks depend on the browser you're using. First step is to disable JavaScript and clear your cache. After that go to apple or MS or Google for their help pages. Should do the trick.
    bendybadgerkiki180703Bricklover18
    The annoying bottom sticky ad. should have gone now. If you are still seeing malvertising I'll have to contact the other ad network when I'm back from vacation. 
  • austin3thanaustin3than Austin, TX, USAMember Posts: 16
    Update:  They did go away on the main page, but still come up when I click on a thumbnail pic and it opens bigger in a pop-up.  It's not the end of the world, just thought I'd ask about them... Thanks for the help, everyone.  And thanks for the personal attention to this matter, Huw...  Enjoy your vacation! 

For those wondering, I haven't done anything to my java script settings or cleared my cache, but I might do that anyway... And I use the Firefox browser, just FYI.
  • austin3thanaustin3than Austin, TX, USAMember Posts: 16
    Update #2: I just logged in to the Brickset site, which I haven't done in a long time, and yes, all advertising is gone, every square inch...  Thanks!
    The one at the bottom has been removed now. The in-image ones are there still. But as you've found the ads are there to monetise causal users only: log in to avoid them completely but, please, use the affiliate links for your purchases :)
  • jon11380jon11380 25 minutes from the LEGO Shop MKMember Posts: 51
    @Huw The adverts from yesterday have started to occupy the hole page very obtrusive. It blocks the whole page. On my device I could not find a way to dismiss them. I have an Amazon Fire. I have now logged in but have not had the need for a very long time, had a high tolerance to the ads until now.
    AllBrickkiki180703
    I've just changed ad networks and am aware of some issues with annoying ads. I'm working to get them stopped.
  • BricklunchBricklunch UKMember Posts: 11
    Those excessive banners had been gone for most of the day but have recently returned as bad as ever. Site is now more advert than content and fairly unusable via a tablet or mobile. Good luck with improving things.
    AllBrickkiki180703
    edited October 2016
    Thanks for the feedback.

The ads are there to monetise casual users and are not shown to users who are logged in at all. I obviously don't want to alienate causal users totally so striking the right balance of what ads to show is difficult.

I have just changed ad networks in an attempt to avoid obnoxious ones: those shown now will be mostly COPPA compliant (i.e. suitable for under 13s) and I am told that those that take over your mobile screen pay well and should only be shown once per 24 hours per user, which doesn't seem too annoying to me. If that's not the case then let me know.

Having said that, why not log in and avoid them altogether? For as long as affiliate marketing pays the bills I won't be showing ads to members and I don't think there's a good reason not to log in, is there?
    AllBrickLostInTranslationkiki180703
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,868
    Out of interest, has everyone with this issue checked for malware on their various devices?
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,214
    I had the obtrusive banners when not logged in, they take up so much space that pictures from the database wouldn't fully load even at 25 per page. I logged in but, it can't be good.
    Seems a tad unnecessary to log in every time just to avoid adverts, even when not wanting to comment but it seems that that is the only option. If I was a casual user / visitor and was faced with what now appears I would leave straight away and look for a less annoying site. On a mobile I wouldn't even bother to stay long enough for the website to use up my data allowance loading excessive irrelevant adverts. It just looks like malware the way it is difficult to get rid of and keeps reappearing. Not everyone has unlimited downloads so paying to be shown adverts is going to scare people away, IMHO 
    Meant to add..... the 'Top' button at the bottom of the page no longer works as is counts as clicking on the advert and so takes me to the advertised website. This could be deliberate as adverts often pay out based on traffic generated; even when that traffic is generated accidentally on purpose.

I'm still working on getting the balance right, but it does seem, surprisingly, that a lot of people do click on the ads so they do generate revenue.

The 'top' button behaviour is not deliberate and I didn't know about it, so thanks. I'll see if that can be sorted.

A more worrying problem is that the login link no longer displayed the login dialog box. I've worked around that issue by opening it in a new window but it's not ideal.
    Thanks - its now remembering me so I'm alright. Just don't accidentally scare of the newbies.
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 683
    I got hit with 4 full screen adds in as many minutes (I wasn't logged in, couldn't remember password). 2 types alternating, one I could close, one I couldn't without clicking on it. One full page that you can close every so often is fine but it was very annoying.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,088
    I keep getting logged out on the main site and a very annoying full page PS4 pop up ad loads just as I try to click something.
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 1,343
    ^ This. Last week I had the same problem and that same full page ad appeared twice in under 30 minutes. I had to click on the ad to do anything / get rid of it.

I found I could no longer click an email notification to visit the forum without being logged out every time I did so too.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,306
    I had 2 ps4 ads in about 2 minutes the other day, and also get logged out regularly. These large ads makes brickset feel pretty cheap and spammy in my opinion.
    AllBrick
    edited November 2016
    I think @Huw might have changed something on the log on page which might explain the getting logged out thing- I could be wrong but I think the wording on the stay logged in check box was slightly different, seems to be stable for me now.

but I absolutely agree with @cheshirecat
     - the full page pop up ads do lower the tone of the main site. I don't think I've ever known anyone to find that kind of advert anything but irritating and intrusive 
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 1,343
    I tried clicking through to the forum from an email notification just now without being logged out this time.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,345
    I'm also frequently finding myself getting logged out recently. And I agree about the full page as, really bad and hard to get rid of some of them. Especially the one that is a video.

Like CCC above I'm finding I'm getting logged out a lot. Site no longer remembers me until I enter my username & password again. In the mean time I'm bombarded with adverts. Not entirely convinced that this isn't deliberate. Ads are actually getting bigger, if that's possible.

Not deliberate at all! The cookie should live for at least a year.
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 870
    Huw said:
    Not deliberate at all! The cookie should live for at least a year.
    Just remember to give it plenty of exercise and fresh water.
    Just for the record, I have to say that I never get ads on this forum - always auto log in successfully on Android/iPad Chrome, FF desktop and legacy IE.
    He problem ads have been on the main site rather than the forum
    MaffyD
    Ah, ok. Should've read the thread a little better, thanks! Well, ditto for the main site too as it happens.