Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Set Details "Current Value" calculation

tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 105
I'm loving the integration of Brickset with Bricklink, and I'm finding new features all the time.  I'm not sure when this was added, but I really like the "Current Value" information displayed on the Set Details sidebar, as it is helpful in deciding which, if any sets, I may want to sell from my collection.  However, I'm finding the information displayed a bit hit and miss when it comes to accuracy.  For example, when I look at this page:

http://brickset.com/sets/21017-1/Imperial-Hotel

It is showing a new set current value of ~$103.  In looking at the Bricklink Price Guide page, it seems that that is based on the minimum price for new sales in the last 6 months.  This number can be quite misleading as many times sets are sold as incomplete or have other issues that create a very low minimum compared to the average sell price.   I would think a more representative number is the average price of sets sold, or perhaps even more relevant, the average price of sets available for sale.

Any thoughts?

Comments