Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Collecting both Lego + .....

landolando Member Posts: 82
apologies if this is the wrong thread. 
But does anybody else collected Lego and something other?  mine is "hot toys" figures and now ones 
got to give as to expensive for both. 

Comments

• Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM SW LondonMember Posts: 915
    edited October 2016
    Steelbook blu-rays is my other vice. It's actually relatively recent, though, and suddenly having two collections competing for discretionary income is a head scratcher at times!

One big difference between the two is that when a steelbook is released you can't take for granted that you will have ~2 years to pick it up. Most releases are made available for pre-order, meaning that some popular titles are gone before the day they're released. This also attracts resellers. Though interestingly in various communities I've only ever seen the term 'scalpers' and never 'resellers'.
    josekalel
  • blade_guyblade_guy Member Posts: 138
    I collect Lego, and CDs released internationally by the winning bands of the TV show "Popstars".  I have CDs from the winnings bands created in Romania, India, Mexico, South Africa, Greece to name just some. The elusive ones I'm missing are from Columbia, New Zealand and Ecuador... again, there are online communities and fan groups. Since the series waned in popularity, some of the CDs have become very cheap, and some groups have reformed to celebrate their anniversaries and released new material digitally...
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,213
    Hot Wheels, vinyl, cds, VW memorabilia and parts for my own eternal VW projects. I am starting a new but ultimately temporary collection at the moment, ladies phone numbers.
    Yodaliciousbandit778stluxsnowhitieGothamConstructionCoTheMaker37BuriedinBricks
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 801
    I like books. Especially children's ones. During the summer I was searching for goosebumps, point horror books, and sweet Valley books. I also like British girls comics like Bunty and Tammy etc. I was briefly interested in Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew (which have never been as massive in the UK) but gave up once I found out how many there are... approximately a gazillion! 
    catwranglerLostInTranslation
    Ahhh, books, I collect Dr. Seuss and books illustrated by Mike Wilks. I also have a Jellycat soft toy rescue centre for any JCs I find in charity shops etc.
    bookmum
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 1,102
    edited October 2016
    Apart from Lego I collect movies, CD's, comics (the Franco-Belgian type and manga) and books. Although the last couple of years the majority of our books has been bought for Kindle. Also Japanese jigsaw puzzles, but that's in much lower quantities than our other collections. (96 so far)
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,427
    bookmum said:
    I like books. Especially children's ones. During the summer I was searching for goosebumps, point horror books, and sweet Valley books. I also like British girls comics like Bunty and Tammy etc. I was briefly interested in Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew (which have never been as massive in the UK) but gave up once I found out how many there are... approximately a gazillion! 
    Oh yes; I used to have SO many Nancy Drews as a kid! Then I moved on to Sweet Valley Twins and the Babysitters Club; there were tons of both of those too. Had a huge collection of girls' comics, which I sadly had to cull, but the annuals hung on for a lot longer. At least the annuals turn up pretty regularly and cheaply in charity shops these days! I still collect children's books, but mostly it's Puffins and other paperbacks from the 80s and earlier. Oh, and Advent Calendars - I like the old-fashioned German kind better than the ones you get now...
    bookmumLostInTranslation
  • LegogramLegogram PA USAMember Posts: 269
    Lego is relatively new for me.  I have always had a large collection of books, and I also collect PEZ dispensers.
    LEGO_Dad77
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 457
    Another old VW collector here @AllBrick , I've got three of them now!
    AllBrick
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 671
    I don't collect them as such but the house is full of books and cds. But just what I want to read or listen to as opposed to every penguin crime novel or all releases on a certain label.

Of course I do have every book by some authors and every album by many bands. But that's just because I'm a fan.
  • DavidBrickleyDavidBrickley Richmond, VAMember Posts: 336
    Race medals...I enjoy running, and I'll often do a race based on the medal. Between registration fees, shoes, gear, travel, etc, I think I spend about as much as I do on Lego.
    bluedragonMattPetersen
  • ImABrickManNowImABrickManNow BrickyMcBrickMember Posts: 240
    Keychains,masks and Neca action figures.
  • LEGO_Dad77LEGO_Dad77 Northeastern CaliforniaMember Posts: 195
    What DON'T I collect might be a shorter list, but here goes for what I do collect:

• LEGO!!
    • Disney Bluray (including Pixar, Star Wars, Ghibli, Muppets, Marvel)
    • Bluray in general, always with digital copy if included
    • Disney Pins
    • Henson/Muppets Everything
    • Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli Toys & Tees & Everything
    • Pop Culture Tees and other Movie/Cartoon memorabilia (posters, lunchboxes, glasses, etc.), mostly 80's stuff
    • Hasbro Star Wars (though it's on the back burner) & Everything Else
    • MOTUC (back burner)
    • Doctor Who Action Figures & DVD's (mostly classic)
    • NECA Gremlins Action Figures
    • ReAction Figures
    • Hot Wheels & Matchbox Cars
    • Build-A-Bear stuffed Animals
    • 80's Cabbage Patch Kids & Care Bears
    • Most Cartoon/Movie Stuffed Animals, mostly Disney & 80's
    • G.I. Joe 3 ¾ Action Figures
    • Ghostbusters Actuon Figures
    • Jim Shore Disney sculptures
    • Nintendo... everything
    • Dr. Seuss & Stephen King books, along with just about every classic book; children's & otherwise
    • and more I can't think of cuz they're also on the back burner for now. :D
    LegogrambookmumstluxTheMaker37TwoToneBrickscatwrangler
    @LEGO_Dad77 WOW I am impressed. I would collect more stuff if I had space and more money so I am a bit jealous! 
    LEGO_Dad77
  • LEGO_Dad77LEGO_Dad77 Northeastern CaliforniaMember Posts: 195
    Oh, haha, thanks! I don't have lots of either sadly; most of my other collections (save for the Bluray a which are always out of course) is packed up due to space constraints, and I rely on birthdays and Christmas to collect a lot of the other. Any "fun-money" I scrape together is spent exclusively on LEGO as of late. :D
    TheMaker37catwrangler
  • GremerGremer The Commonwealth of VirginiaMember Posts: 72
    My main other collection is non-firing replica guns, mainly WW2, some American Civil War.
    LEGO_Dad77
  • LegoLover58LegoLover58 Texas, United StatesMember Posts: 1
    Kre-O, specifically the Transformers one. It's probably the closest we'll ever get to Lego Transformers
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,187
    Yeah, a few things beyond Lego, mostly it can all be classed as escapist in nature though.

Graphic Novels
    Everything SW from Dark Horse back in the 80's right through to Marvel now, which ironically includes the marvel reprints of their own back catalog from the 70's
    A fair chunk of DC stuff, almost everything Bat related and a fair bit more
    An equity fair chunk of Marvel stuff, love Dan Abnetts run beginning back in 2006

Posters
    a real mix of film posters, no real focus, which doesn't help, which probably means I'm the only person with a Breakfast at Tiffanys UK quad hanging in the same room as a Bladerunner half sheet :)

Films
    No focus at all, If I want to watch it I buy it, my wife hoped the dawn of the streaming age would mean a reduction in disks, but I can't seem to break the library mentality.

Books
    probably the ones my wife dislikes the most due to the space they take up, but with three kids as well I'm forever buying books, crime, fantasy/adventure, historical drama. Oddly not a big si-fi reader. I'm a real character fan so if I fall in love with the character I have to read everything within that world, mainly stick with big series in that respect.

Tsum Tsum's
    one for the kids really, but since I pay the bills it counts. Hundreds of those furry little buggers everywhere.

catwrangler
  • TheMaker37TheMaker37 Norfolk,VaMember Posts: 426
    Books mainly, my primary collection would be Biographies of American Presidents.

I have a large collection of weights, dumbells, barbells, resistance bands, boxing gloves, speed bags, double end bags, heavy bags, mitts and other workout accessories.
    LEGO_Dad77
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,236
    I collect Hellboy/B.P.R.D., etc graphic novels but mostly from Xmas presents. I'm a little behind though.

I am on hiatus with my sportscard collection. Collecting 1971-present for baseball.  Football is 1978-present. Hockey I collect all New York Islanders team sets. I also started collecting recent Bowman sets and have purchased a set each year for my five year old just in car he gets into cards himself.

Honestly, I'm trying not to collect anything anymore. No space and is become a little overwhelming. Money cam be used to pay off my mortgage. Since purchasing in Nov. 2010, I'm on schedule top be paI'd off in Feb.  2020.

• FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,567
    besides lego, I guess the closest to a collection would be thousands of downloaded custom maps for games like timesplitters, far cry and halo. 
  • Bitsyww2Bitsyww2 Member Posts: 14
    Mid century modern furniture and decor items, especially the kitschy stuff :) Fiesta Harlequin dishes and women's militaria from World War One through the Korean War.
    catwrangler
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,108
    (If anyone is interested in the first 12 or so years of Hallmark automobile and train ornaments - let me know.)

I once collected Hallmark ornaments and Buzz Lightyears.  Trying to limit and focus the 'stuff' footprint.  Maybe watching too much American Pickers has started to sink in.  
    AllBrickcatwrangler
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,454
    I collect very specific Transformers (all my old ones from the eighties, plus newer Lambor, Superion & Jetfire - got one version of each which will have to be enough - does that count as a collection?)
    Loads of graphic novels (Marvel, DC/Vertigo, Image, Humanoids, IDW, Dark Horse etc)
    Recently, those Hot Wheels Star Wars vehicles (OT 4-6 only)
    Every Now! album (some on CD, some vinyl, all now digital)
    Specific Blu-ray titles (Marvel, Bond, other sci-fi)

And credit cards.
    LEGO_Dad77Yodalicious
  • Wookie2Wookie2 Leeds, UKMember Posts: 88
    Alongside Lego I mainly collect The Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise (snowglobes, Christmas ornaments/decorations, Funko Pop! Vinyl - missed out on the Mayor one though, video games - I have the Xbox and GBA versions, and some other stuff). It has to be appealing enough to warrant me buying it though so I don't buy absolutely everything NBC related. I really wish Lego would release an NBC set or at the very least one or two minifigures which would be definite purchases for me.
    LEGO_Dad77TwoToneBricks
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 484
    Queer literature, in the forms of books, movies, poems, documentaries etc. Pretty much anything to do with queer history and literature that interests me, I will try to get a copy.
    catwrangler
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 269
    My other big collection besides Lego is pocket pro football helmets. I also have all my sports cards from my youth but not actively collecting now. 
  • empireempire BC, CanadaMember Posts: 41
    My main collection is Nintendo/video games. Mostly NES, have over 300 carts, and close to 100 SNES.
    LEGO_Dad77AllBrickmatticus_brickscatwranglerricecakeCircleKCrownie
  • MissKittyFantasticoMissKittyFantastico AustraliaMember Posts: 181
    I used to collect action figures in a big way - heroines from comics, films, TV, whatever I found that I liked (or in the case of the superb and sadly no longer in regular production Character Options 5" Doctor Who range and Diamond Select 7" Star Trek, every one I could get my hands on).  That actually led to my getting back into Lego: one day I was browsing randomly and spotted the Rogue Shadow set, with Juno Eclipse - a female Imperial officer was a new one to me (I gather she wasn't the first, but I never followed the EU much), so I got it.

Nowadays the action figure collection is relatively stable, only gaining the occasional new acquisition of special merit.  Lego aside my collecting hobby at the moment is the Eaglemoss Star Trek model starships collection - big Trekkie here - which has been pretty good for the most part.
    LEGO_Dad77
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,374
    I don't collect anything beyond Lego - there's just not enough space to hoard a large collection of something else. We have built Lego sets in 3 rooms of the house.
    SumoLegotallblocktoo
    @monkey_roo oh Tsum Tsums aren't they cute! If include daughters stuff then there is also shopkins, moshi monsters, little Japanese building rubbers and also Tsum Tsums, I think she has 7!
    catwrangler
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,066
    I used to collect a lot of random nerdy stuff. Moving house helped cure this - when I realised just how much stuff I owned that just lived in storage boxes I realised that focusing on just the LEGO was best for me.

Pop Vinyl figures also helped cure me, I acquired a few of these, but soon realised that I don't really enjoy them for more than a casual glance and once they started doing figures for really random stuff that there can't be much market for I realised how little I was interested in them any more.

Interesting to see people listing DVDs, CDs and books. I used to have a ton of books but realised I never reread any so got rid of everything I'd already read except a handful of favourites, some signed, some that I think would be nice to hand down to kids some day.
    Earlier this year I threw out the majority of my CD cases. It was so liberating- I'm old fashioned enough that I can't rely on just digital copies but I realised that I had no need for the CD cases so bought a couple of the larger CD wallets and transferred them into those, again with the exception of a few sentimental keepers.
    I know that me and the wife have a lot of DVDs but I'd never consider them a collection. We do have all the (UK list) Disney Animated Classics and feature length Pixar films on either Blu ray or DVD which is probably the only section of our DVDs I'd consider anything like a collection.
    catwranglerkhmellymelFurrysaurusLostInTranslation
    SumoLego said:
    (If anyone is interested in the first 12 or so years of Hallmark automobile and train ornaments - let me know.)

I once collected Hallmark ornaments and Buzz Lightyears.  Trying to limit and focus the 'stuff' footprint.  Maybe watching too much American Pickers has started to sink in.  
    I love American Pickers.
    Any of your ornaments VW orientated?

empire said:
    My main collection is Nintendo/video games. Mostly NES, have over 300 carts, and close to 100 SNES.

My last big collection was old computers, consoles and games. Approximately 450 carts for the SNES and Megadrive alone. I even had a copy of Mega Man the Wily Wars on the MD.   
  • carnage717carnage717 U.S.AMember Posts: 86
    Besides Lego, I collect hot wheels and 3 3/4" g.i.Joe figures, but I'm done with g.i.Joe at the moment because there's nothing left to buy, I have the complete collection from 1982 to present day
    YodaliciousSumoLegodspigel77ncaachampsReesesPieces
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,758
    Mostly Lego but I do pick-up the following items if I run across them:

Original comic strip art
    Books by Eric Sloane
    Vintage books illustrated by N. C. Wyeth (Scribner's 1st editions of classics like Treasure Island, The Deer Slayer,)
    Original soda pop metal advertising signs and thermometers (Coca-Cola, Mountain Dew, Squirt, Hires Root beer) 
    Original Marine Corps recruiting posters
    LEGO_Dad77
  • kizkizkizkiz londonMember Posts: 80
    Terry Pratchett and anything related
    Books. Mainly sci if, fantasy and old school Russian 
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 716
    I wouldn't say I 'collect' Lego in the same was as other things - there is just a lot of it...

But I do collect Transformers (official and 3rd party).  The stuff that's been coming out in the last few years has been smashing the nostalgia buttons, but really I've been collecting ever since I discovered ebay so many years ago.

My house is so full of plastic...
  • alldarkeralldarker NetherlandsMember Posts: 115
    Besides Lego, I also collect Transformers, specifically G1 Transformers, TF Masterpieces (Takara only) and 'pre-Transformers', i.e. Diaclone and Microchange figures. I also own a complete collection of all M.A.S.K. toys and figures, but that's been complete and ín stasis' for over fifteen years. 

SumoLegoYodaliciousGothamConstructionCo77ncaachamps
  • thedoctor46thedoctor46 UKMember Posts: 138
    Funko Pop! figures, DC comic books from Flashpoint onwards and all issues of Animal Man. I've long had Animal Man's first appearance in my collection and I'm only a handful of issues away from collecting all Animal Man issues ever published. 
  • TitanArchTitanArch US-Iowa-DavenportMember Posts: 27
    edited October 2016
    LEGO, and official Grateful Dead CD releases.  Many of them are limited editions, and may command rather high prices on the open market.  I also have loads of CDs (~2,000, which is a modest collection by some accounts), but other than the Grateful Dead, I am ready to get rid of that stuff!  It's harder to let go of LEGO, even if I bought it with no real intention of keeping it for myself.
  • rawbobrawbob UKMember Posts: 401
    I have many many CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays including my wife's Disney films almost twice over (DVD then Blu-Ray when it came out). I also have lots of Viz and 2000AD comics. I collect everything by Ryan Adams. I recently took a fancy for the Rogue One trading card set.
  • MosdvsMosdvs Dallas, TXMember Posts: 48
    I use to be pretty big into collecting video games but since I recently started collecting Legos...wife gave me a ultimatum ...sell my motorcycle, or buying video games. Needless to say I have a motorcycle in my garage and room full of legos. RIP video games.
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,454
    edited October 2016
    there's nothing left to buy, I have the complete collection from 1982 to present day
    Now you have to do the same with Lego! :-)
    stluxdavetheoxygenman
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 376
    Besides Lego I have a few other items I collect.  Most aren't active.  I'm sure there a few other minor items or things friends would say I collect, but these are the major ones.

Vintage Star Wars (Kenner 1978-1985):  My biggest non-Lego collection.  Basically complete as far as I'm concerned.  Since 2005 I've added or upgraded about a dozen items.  Of the items I don't have they are either too rare, too expensive, or I'm not interested in.

Modern Star Wars (Hasbro 1995-present):  When the modern line started in 1995 I had no good way of buying vintage Star Wars, so I started collecting these instead.  From 1995-2003 I was quite the completist, acquiring nearly everything released.  In the fall of 2003 I stopped actively building the collection .  A year early I realized I was more interested in vintage Star Wars and only buying the modern stuff out of habit.  Additionally Hasbro had some quality control issues and I simply needed to be spending less money.  Since 2003 I've picked a few figures that truly interest me

GI Joe RAH (1982-1994):  More of an active area of collecting.  I have periods where I'm more actively looking for stuff than others.  I'm mostly focused on figures rather than vehicles or playsets.  I don't have the room or the interest in many of them.  Also I already have most of what I really want.  Currently I'm working on completing my incompletes.

Transformers (G1 1984-1985):  This is something that I dabble in, but am hardly active.  My interest is in the first two years of the line and limited to only a few of those figures.  Price spikes from the movies and general lack of knowledge have kept me out of this area.

MOTU and TMNT:  Childhood toys only.  Every once in while I look at picking up a few more of these or completing incomplete figures or playsets (Castle Grayskull), but never do.

Coins:  Just pocket change, nothing rare.  Mostly US, but when I travel I try to get a full set of current coins from my spare change.

Boy Scout stuff:  Mostly patches, but a few neckerchiefs and some books.  I've been active with Scouting for a long time.  I'm not much of a collector here, it's more something to do while act certain actives.  Over time I'm built up a reasonable collection.

LEGO_Dad77Goldchains
  • deephorsedeephorse West Yorkshire, U.K.Member Posts: 76
    Books - thousands of them, mainly military history
    1/43 racing cars in Martini livery
    1/43 Le Mans winning race cars
    Board wargames
    Dragon pre-painted 1/72 military vehicles
    Wings of Glory WWI aircraft
    Thoroughbred Miniatures 1/600 American Civil War warships/ironclads
    1/72 scale kits of the various marks of the FW 190 aircraft
    Music by the Moody Blues
    Pens - I like a nice pen!
    Oh, and torches.  I'm a sucker for a cool looking torch (flashlight for those overseas)

• Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 697
    Amiibo

I get that they do very little in the games they're compatible with, and there are better figurines for the likes of the Mario and Zelda characters, but the fact that some of these characters are not likely to get any other kind of figurine (lookin' at you Palutena, Ness, Lucas, and Captain Falcon) they're a godsend.
    stlux
  • Legopassion8Legopassion8 6011 MILES from Bora BoraMember Posts: 1,093
    edited October 2016
    All things Pokemon. 

Right here lately though been Wondering why people (like me)have this obsessive need to collect trinkets.

EDIT: also surprised some wise ass hasn't said paychecks or money :P
    LusiferSam
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasMember Posts: 653
    Movies (DVDs, blu-rays, Steelbooks), and some books (especially Star Wars). 

I have stopped getting movies and getting into LEGO a bit more, because, realistically speaking, LEGO has a way better resale value than movies (since, you know, media changes a lot).
    FollowsClosely