Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Dealing with NEW Brick Link buyers

So I have a question for my fellow sellers, what advice can you offer when dealing with new buyers? We have already had one buyer that requested a cancelation because they don't read the splash pages. We also have another newbie that is real slow in paying because I'm sure they also didn't read the splash page. 

These newbie buyers think "I can buy one piece for a few cents" but then they see how much shipping costs and they change their minds. More experienced buyers understand that buying as much as you can from each seller is smarter than just buying one brick. 

I know that Brick Links official policy is to basically refuse to let them out of the sale, but if you do so, there is still no guarantee they will actually pay. All you can do is leave them negative feed back, which they can do to you as well. Which as sellers that hurts us more. Hence why I am asking for advice.

Comments

• ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,618
    I always accept to cancel order no matter the reason, last thing I want is to ship something to someone that does not want it.
    You can cancel orders or returns the goods when you buy on almost any website, it is just good costumer service for me.

All you can do is leave them negative feed back, which they can do to you as well.
    That is not correct, if you file a NPB (Non Buyer Payment), buyer can't leave feedback, but you can. 
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703ryjayRenegade007cjh
  • TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Member Posts: 115

I don't want to come over as sounding pompous but we have all been new to doing stuff before, buying on the rather clunky bricklink is one just of them.

Best piece of advice I can give is to treat someone as you would like to be treated yourself and take it as an opportunity to educate them gently into the ways of bricklink - or wherever you may be selling - and you may just land yourself a long term customer.

lordzarakkiki180703asrfarinhaLego_Star
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 222
    We did cancel the order for the first one that requested it. So you think we should do that always going forward, even though I'm BL terms it says not to?
    That's probably what we are going to do anyways, I just wanted to see what other sellers do in this situation.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,089
    I cancel without question if asked. There is simply no point in forcing a buyer to pay by threatening them with negative feedback.
    ryjay
  • DaraghDaragh IrelandMember Posts: 352
    Just cancel and move on, there is no point trying to get them to pay under duress. I have had a lot of 0 feedback buyers, but none have cancelled (yet). Usually you may need to message them about the process and they are happy to proceed. I also have a €5 minimum which avoids the issue of "how much to post 1 brick!"

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,396
    Daragh said:
    Just cancel and move on, there is no point trying to get them to pay under duress. I have had a lot of 0 feedback buyers, but none have cancelled (yet). Usually you may need to message them about the process and they are happy to proceed. I also have a €5 minimum which avoids the issue of "how much to post 1 brick!"

I still find myself commonly asking the dreaded "how much to post one brick" question, on parts up to $30. And I still usually don't get a response!
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 777
    Have had many buyers with hundreds of feedback ordering things then complaining about clearly listed postage prices. Its not just newbies don't read store terms!
    SprinkleOtterLegogramkiki180703
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,515
    To be fair to anyone taking on Bricklink for the first time, some of the splash pages can be like reading a page on advanced mathematics.
    I always wondered why it wasn't more like Brickowl in that respect as unless it's a quote only seller, what your total says is what you pay and its a lot more user friendly to newbies and a lot more transparent than some sellers on Bricklink.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 1,832
    I think all newbies have to be given some slack.  I mean we all have started somewhere no?  Ultimately it does come down to communication.  Having strong open lines of communication can prove to be immensely helpful.  If a buyer wants to cancel let them cancel, if a buyer has no feedback maybe just send them a note and say you expect payment withing such and such a time frame and kind of set the standard.  I also "push" the idea of leaving feedback - that way they remember to do it once the transaction is complete and I am sure to respond with equal feedback, that helps them build it up.
    bandit778
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 964

I cancel the order if I'm asked. If they don't even bother to communicate and just disappear, I follow through with the NPB procedure, leave negative feedback, and block them from my store.

It is one thing for buyers to change their mind, get cold feet, realize how much shipping is or whatever. If they ask nicely, I will cancel the order, no problem. However it is a whole other thing when buyers just disappear and tie up my inventory for two weeks with no communication. Other sellers should be alerted about this behavior which means following through with NPB and leaving appropriate feedback.  

Sethro3tomahawker
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,089
    bandit778 said:
    To be fair to anyone taking on Bricklink for the first time, some of the splash pages can be like reading a page on advanced mathematics.
    I always wondered why it wasn't more like Brickowl in that respect as unless it's a quote only seller, what your total says is what you pay and its a lot more user friendly to newbies and a lot more transparent than some sellers on Bricklink.
    It is down to bricklink not having proper dimensions for parts. Studs as a measurement is not so useful when it comes to postage calculators and autocheckout.
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    I get quite a few first-time buyers on BL, and only one cancellation, and no problems to date.  I'm far more confident in BL newbies than eBay newbies.  But yeah, I allowed a cancellation of a single part order (a $9 part at that) when requested. No harm done in my opinion and he even left me a positive feedback to thank me.
    I do seem to be getting a few people that order and dissappear as of late. Is that a common thing? After we send them 3 messages or so, it's just kinda like what the heck?
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,804
    As a recent Bricklink user (buyer only) I think the main issue is that it has to include an 'invoicing' step which I'm not sure is intuitive. I've had two orders recently where one stated upfront that my order would go into a certain size package, which was handy. The other order I had to ask how it would be sent, which wasn't as handy. No big deal though, as I had to wait for an invoice from both of them. It would be a lot easier if S&H could be added upfront, but I appreciate that would not be easy for the majority of sellers.
    The messaging process is also a bit odd, and not very well connected to the ordering process. Can someone tell me if the default is to use the Bricklink messaging system, or to use email, or both - as not having email as default would be awkward.
    catwrangler
  • RakulRakul USAMember Posts: 160
    I think I generally go with most of the comments here.  I have seen a huge uptick in 0 feedback buyers lately.  Most have gone smoothly but some had cancelled for various reasons.  One thing I am seeing more of is foreign buyers not paying attention that I am in the US ordering 1 minifigure or part and realizing shipping would be expensive.  

For the most part if they ask me to cancel I will. I have only had two ever that I had to file a NPB against because they disappeared and one of those eventually paid.
  • DaraghDaragh IrelandMember Posts: 352
    From a bricklink sellers point of view the apparent increase in 0 feedback buyers should be welcomed and helping them through Bricklink will only lead to more savvy buyers for the future. 
    Kevin_HyattLobotCaptainPirateMankoshka
    I agree. New buyers is a good thing, and to be honest we are kinda targeting them to begin with. I was just looking for advice on what to do with those asking for a cancellation and those who just plain don't respond. The BL terms make it sound pretty clear that "changing your mind" is not really something that should be allowed. I didn't want to cause trouble as a seller, if I did let people out of there order.