You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Elves 2017

ShibShib UKMember Posts: 3,967
Just seen the official images uploaded onto the main site, they look a lot better than the preliminary images. I was hoping to not want too many from this wave but once again find myself wanting them all.

Is it just me or do the 'Goblins' look like Trolls? (As in the toys not the fairytale creatures)
LostInTranslationtallblocktoo

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 4,947
    I want them all too! And I can definitely see the Troll resemblance. 

I like the Sophie Jones and goblin village sets the best. I'm imagining how cool it would be to buy several sets and make a bigger enchanted village :-)
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 3,967
    I really didn't like the airship from the prelims (wasn't fond to of the Ninjago one threat used the balloon parts and looked too similar) but from those images it looks really good. Also I absolutely need the Lavendar coloured boomerang parts for reasons that I do not understand :-P

LostInTranslationtallblocktoowardm
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia, BulgariaMember Posts: 3,601
    I think the goblins look much better than the prelims but I doubt they will be esteemed as highly as the baby dragons are by my girls. It struck me that the evil goblin king dragon set is 100% baddies which is quite rare, even in regular lines. The Airship is fantastic and will pair well with Naida's ship.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,499
    you mean these troll toys? https://www.etsy.com/fr/listing/246860145/russ-troll-jouet-poupee-bleu-cobalt

interesting wave, but even the airship looks goblin-sized :/
    on the "maybe" list.
  • MeganLMeganL California, USAMember Posts: 38
    I love the look of these sets.  I'm going to get all of them!  It never fails to amaze me how LEGO manages to make "evil" still look cute.
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 461
    I really like the two largest sets of this wave.  However as I have so far collected all sets from this theme I will likely continue to do so.  Will see when the time comes.  I have always wanted an airship so I guess I will finally be getting one.  If I am correct its missing at least one piece though in order to make it a balloon.  It to bad they didn't toss in an extra so you could create a balloon ride as well.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,131
    Lekmer.fi has lots of new high-resolution LEGO Elves pics. Observations:
    • The back-of-box pics for #41181 and #41182 has more character art similar to the back of this year's boxes, with Emily and the elves facing off against the Goblin King and his subjects.
    • The shop in 41182 has a little bed and a framed picture of Mr. and Ms. Spry.
    • The wing flapping function of #41184 has a REALLY impressive range of movement.Can basically go from perfectly horizontal to perfectly vertical.
    • The jeweler's shop and workshop in #41185 each include a tiny bed, and the jeweler's shop also includes a tiny toilet. There's a function to hide the stairs to the second floor balcony of the jeweler's shop.
    • I can't stop laughing at this pic. XD

catwrangler
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 539
    I'm going to explore this line and a few others I haven't. I realized after studying a few MOCs that I am missing out on a ton of elements by not expanding my horizons.
    thedingman5catwranglerAanchir
    blogzilly said:
    I'm going to explore this line and a few others I haven't. I realized after studying a few MOCs that I am missing out on a ton of elements by not expanding my horizons.
    While Elves has a lot of great elements designed specifically with it in mind, I'm often just as impressed with how well it uses existing elements. Last year's dragons are a good example: the only new parts designed specifically for them were the heads and some of the wings, while the rest were either existing elements or recolors.

I myself had tried to make a full-grown Elvendale dragon on LEGO Digital Designer prior to those sets being revealed, but struggled to create anything even approaching the lifelike curves of LEGO Friends and Elves people and animals, so needless to say I was very impressed with how well the LEGO Group's designers did at that task. When I look at the baby and adult dragons from LEGO Elves, I can totally believe that they're different life stages of the same species.

Naida's Epic Adventure Ship and Aira's Airship also make great use of existing elements to create their distinctive curves, even while introducing new gold filigree pieces to decorate their railings. And the Elves theme is great when it comes to brick-built landscaping and architectural features.
    pharmjodDedgecko
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 765
    edited January 31
    Airship and the Goblin King's Dragon will be must purchases for me---I mean, my girls!  I'm just not down with that dude's castle.  I think he'll need to find a bench to sleep on in Ragana's castle.
    Toc13bandit778
    My kids finally watched some of the 2017 videos... Who signed off on claw hands!?  TLM, TLBM movie and the Ninjago movie sure...  But the 2016 Elves videos were sans claw hands.  Do the new Friends videos have claw hands as well!?  It looks freakishly odd.  Both my kids were "Dad, what's wrong with their hands??" O_o  They were struggling to understand the change from the previous iterations of animated shorts.
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 273
    Just ordered my first Elves set! It's only #30259 "Azari's Magic Fire" polybag from eBay but I've being trying to resist these sets in recent weeks after seeing some of the new Goblins sets. I'm not a fan of the Goblins themselves, but the color scheme and the builds for this year's sets look very interesting. It has got me thinking whether to pick up some of the older sets before they retire.

I've also noticed that Elves theme doesn't seem to be quite so actively traded on eBay with some sets listed at higher than expected prices? I don't collect for selling purposes but i do somethimes sell stuff that I've changed my mind about. I'm wondering if Elves is a safe diversion for my Lego buying impulses! :)
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,028
    The right sets, sure. I've done well with the quickly retired Dragon sets.
    Dedgecko

Dedgecko said:

My kids finally watched some of the 2017 videos... Who signed off on claw hands!?  TLM, TLBM movie and the Ninjago movie sure...  But the 2016 Elves videos were sans claw hands.  Do the new Friends videos have claw hands as well!?  It looks freakishly odd.  Both my kids were "Dad, what's wrong with their hands??" O_o  They were struggling to understand the change from the previous iterations of animated shorts.

I think they probably just saw the move to Netflix as a good opportunity to change up the style. One frequent criticism I've seen of the LEGO Elves specials and webisodes (from both dyed-in-the-wool LEGO fans and parents watching with their kids) is that nothing in them is obviously LEGO, so perhaps the animators were hoping the new style might allay some of those concerns.

I don't mind the new style (it's actually kinda cute IMO), but I have heard from other people who are not so fond of the change.

On that note, I wonder when we might hear more about the Netflix series?
    Lyichir
    I hadn't heard Elves were coming to Netflix.  Hopefully they get a better run than Bionicle.

pharmjod said:

Dragon Sanctuary is double to triple MSRP on eBay now.  QQ
    pharmjod
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 472

Dedgecko said:

pharmjod said:

Dragon Sanctuary is double to triple MSRP on eBay now.  QQ

That's because it was in stores for just a few months.  I never even saw it. I'd like to know how they decide the life span of some sets and why...
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 331
    edited April 12
    That is crazy.  My sister picked up one for my kids at Kroger's for 1/2 off.   Have to rethink giving it to them now.  (Kind of kidding...)
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 257

Dedgecko said:

I hadn't heard Elves were coming to Netflix.  Hopefully they get a better run than Bionicle.

At the very least (based on what little concrete information we've gotten on the series) it will be getting a longer run than Bionicle—there are apparently eight full-length Elves episodes due on Netflix his year, twice as many as Bionicle got last year (and for that matter, twice as many as Elves has gotten in the two years prior to the move to Netflix combined).
    Dedgecko
    As a cord cutter and Netflix subscriber, that is music to my ears.
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 273
    Some people go away for Easter and do fun things! I'm a determined Lego collector so...
    I spent my Easter break driving all around Birmingam (4 Toys R Us, 3 Smyths Toys), Milton Keynes (Lego, Toys R Us, Smyths Toys) and Northampton (2 Toys R Us, mega Tesco) looking for retired Elves sets! Obviously I spent some time on the internet searching for any shops or online stores which might stock old Elves sets at RRP or below.

I picked up the new sets in Milton Keynes Lego store using triple VIP and Calendar vouchers. I only bought my first set on the Wednesday before Easter. However, by the end of Easter Monday, I had completed my collection!! Of course, I had to resort to eBay for some sets (and the Elves Magazines which I had previously avoided), Amazon for some items and BrickLink for #41178 The Dragon Sanctuary and the #41074 Azari and the Magical Bakery.

I'm still waiting for #41178 The Dragon Sanctuary, #41076 Farren and the Crystal Hollow, and Elves magazine #4 to arrive. I've also picked up a few duplicate sets, e.g. Smyths Toys is currently selling #41078 Skyra's Mysterious Sky Castle for £40 (47% discount) so I couldn't resist picking up a second one!

You can see the collection below carefully organised by waves! The cost to date has just tipped over £1000 which I could have spent on a nice weekend away but where's the fun in that! And yes, I've only built 2 sets so far!

AanchirBumblepantspookieeggshenBananasGalactusLegogram
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 190
    I don't see LEGO® Elves Me and My Dragon Display on the shelves - but thanks for the tip on Smyths.
  • GalactusGalactus NLMember Posts: 235

Some people go away for Easter and do fun things! I'm a determined Lego collector so...
    I spent my Easter break driving all around Birmingam (4 Toys R Us, 3 Smyths Toys), Milton Keynes (Lego, Toys R Us, Smyths Toys) and Northampton (2 Toys R Us, mega Tesco) looking for retired Elves sets!
    [...]
    The cost to date has just tipped over £1000 which I could have spent on a nice weekend away but where's the fun in that!

That last six words made me laugh so hard!