You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Is this an illegal Technic triangle?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to make a triangle with a small angle (15 deg).  A and C are the "3M" pegs and B is the usual 2-length peg and doesn't reach the green beam.

If I rotate the yellow and blue beams, then use another 3-length peg, see pic below, you get a nice rigid triangle with a small angle.  I am guessing this is not legal but the beams are straight.  Will it cause a lot of stress to the beams or pegs?  Does anyone know any other way I could make a rigid triangle with a small angle?

Comments

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,148
    Illegal connections really depend on what stress you're putting on them. That should be fine (might wreck the blue pins over time). But if that's to be taking a lot of pressure or being constantly jarred, it will probably come apart.
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 76
    I don't see anything illegal about the connections you are making, as the parts themselves are not under stress simply from the connections.  However, like any LEGO construction, even official sets, if you attempt to put too much force or weight to a part it could cause a part to bend or even break.  I think this is a question of common sense more than an illegal connection. 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,023
    Instead of the 3L pin which is only connected in one beam, you could try to use another small beam, between the bottom (level 1) beam and the top (level 3) beam, if it gives the correct angle.
  • CupIsHalfEmptyCupIsHalfEmpty CanadaMember Posts: 537
    That is an illegal Lego connection and there will be stress on those parts. I'm not sure if you have the room on the inside, but instead of building a triangle, you could build a Diamond. do the same on the top as you have on the bottom with a 3L beam in the middle. Or 2L if you want even less of an angle. 
    /...\
    \   /