Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Safe/easy way of removing minifig keychain heads?

My son wants to remove the helmet of a Darth Vader keychain. There seems to be a minifig head under the helmet but I think there's a screw down through the length of the body, as the pants dont come off either (ahem).

Any suggestions?

Comments

• DawnDawn GoldPosts: 231
    The issue with keychain is that all the parts are glued together making it very difficult to separate. Even if you can dissolve it, the part are not very smooth when done.

Also usually in a keychain the head and head gear/hair will have a hole from the screw.

I would be less trouble to order the head on bricklink :)
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalPosts: 1,090
    Use a soldering iron and slip it in the ring of the top off the head where the chain connects. In a couple seconds the soldering iron will heat the length of the rod and allow you to easily slip it out.  But as @Dawn mentioned the parts are clued. The legs to the torso and the headgear to the head. The head and helmet can be removed from the torso, but I found with the heating of the rod, it also expands the neck so it makes it really hard to put any other head on the torso and can cause some problems. I've heard the glue can be removed by putting it in hot water and then prying the parts off, but yes it wont be a clean removal as the glue kind of melts the plastic to create its bond. 
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAPosts: 178
    Thx gang, when we bought it long ago I already snipped the chain part off.