You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Lego accomplishments for 2016

ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,588
Perhaps this could go into the "What are your Lego related goals for 2016" thread but many of the post were as generic as mine which was "build more and spend less". Re-reading through that thread got me to pondering what specifically I did accomplish in 2016. At first it didn't seem like much, but once chronicled, it was a pretty busy and fun year for me! Without further ado here is my year in review in chronologically order:

1. Built 2 of Anothergols AT-ST's
2. Displayed Cavegod's AT-AT, the AT-ST's, 2 modded snow speeders, and other Hoth vignettes at my LUGs weekend show.
3. Upgraded my 12x10 train layout with more streets, buildings, monorail, and amusement park.
4. Displayed said train layout at 2 local shows in Feb and April.
5. Snagged a 7 car Santa Fe train.
6. Went to Europe to grab some German footballers, (The family tagged along and I allowed them to drag me to Paris, Lyon, London, and Bavaria since we were already there.)
7. Built 3 of Mortesv's GR-75 transports.
8. Built Mortesv's Nebulon-B transport and a bunch of scale fighters to go with it.
9. Displayed Rebel fleet at a comicon.
10. Built a bunch of Lego Christmas ornaments to give to friends.
11. Got a good start on a three ship division of Brickwrights minifig scale Y-wing.
12. Continued to run a Bricklink store. Sales continue to decline but profit percent was higher than last year.

So I did get a lot more building done this year. Spending? A lot less on store inventory but ALOT more on Bricklink orders. I spent less time chasing down Craigslist deals.

Anybody else want to share? Love to see a list of your 2016 Lego accomplishments. 

YodaliciousLegogramcatwranglerricecakekhmellymelstluxbluedragonkiki180703koshkaBumblepants

Comments

• catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,163
    1. Entered my first building competition on Brickset...
    2. ...and then ran one!
    3. Built my first modular (Palace Cinema). 
    4. Collected a theme for the first time in years - didn't want or buy all of Nexo Knights year one, but I've ended up with a surprising amount of it!
    5. Actually sussed out (what I hope will be) a viable way to organise my bricks, and started on it. 
    ecmo47ricecakestluxbluedragonkiki180703
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 7,376
    1. Buy a house
    2. Set up my 'LEGO' room
    3. Build a MOC design
    4. Start building a backlog of about 10 years of LEGO

If I can do it this year I will be rather busy.
    catwranglerstluxLegogrambluedragonkiki180703Bumblepants
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,588
    Those are rather lofty goals for 2017 but what did you accomplish in 2016? 
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,743
    I have continued to collect Lego train sets a best I can and am at 142 sets out of 199 listed at brickset. Hopefully I can get to near finished by Jan 2018. 
    ecmo47kiki180703stluxBumblepantscatwrangler
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 23
    1. Finally found and hung shelves in my basement for my Technic, expert vehicles, and UCS sets. 6'x16" deep: big enough to accommodate the width of the Helicarrier. $300.00 later....
    2. Built the first 3 of likely 6 skyscrapers for Brickadelphia. 
    3. Started laying out my lego city. Waiting on PAB and B&P orders to arrive to continue fleshing out the business district half. The goal is for it to be completed by the end of this school year. I'll need my summer break for other, bigger things.....
    4. Finished parting out Market Street and Cafe Corner and built them. 
    5. Wrote my first Brickset review ever; Cafe Corner was the subject. 
    Legogrambluedragonecmo47kiki180703Bumblepantscatwrangler
  • TheMaker37TheMaker37 Norfolk,VaMember Posts: 378
    1. Went to my first Brickfair
    2. Bought my first large collection
    3. Learned how to organize a large collection
    4. Made my first positive dollar from Lego collecting
    5. Found great homes for many neglected sets
    bluedragonecmo47kiki180703LegogramBumblepantscatwranglerstarwars4ever
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 602
    Looking back in quite happy with my Lego accomplishments in 2016 which has helped my completely crap year I've had elsewhere. My loose aims were to be more involved in the afol community and go to a Lego show so here goes. 1) displayed at Edinburgh comiccon with some other bricksetters and displayed at a local Lego show up north. 2) organised (and displayed at) a local Lego show which was well received. 3) made donation from funds raised from (2) via fairy bricks to local hospice charity. 4) got involved with a lug (currently running the secret Santa) and have met and now know loads of other afols 5) built a rather large truck with the wife which is touring all over on the worlds largest Lego ship. Its nice to spot it on pics/vids etc. 6) made another Lego cake Lets just say my goals for 2017 are quite lofty but I think I can do it. The only thing I missed was getting on the 'brag' thread. I expected to be but that's been pushed back quite a lot. Hoping for start of Jan (long story).
    ecmo47Bumblepantscatwranglerbluedragonkhmellymel
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 90
    After an approximately 18-year hiatus, I came back to LEGO in February. 
    Legogramthedingman5ecmo47BumblepantscatwranglerbluedragonkhmellymelTheMaker37bendybadger
  • koshkakoshka UK/SwedenMember Posts: 154
    1. After three years of collecting through Bricklink and ebay I completed the Taj Mahal, Green Grocer and Cafe Corner.
    2. Set up a Bricklink store to sell off the ridiculous number of extra bricks that I obtained when collecting for everything listed above.
    3. Bought and installed shelves to display everything listed above.
    4. Managed to buy a new Town Hall for £250 and ended three years of regretting not buying it when I got back in to Lego.
    5. Managed to stay married even if 1-4 tested the boundaries a little at times.

Legogramstluxecmo47Bumblepantscatwranglerbluedragonkhmellymellegogalkiki180703
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 935
    1. Almost completed the MF theme.
    2. Found some expensive figures in bargain bulk buy boxes.
    3. Found some animals to add to the collection.
    4. Bought a lot of mixed bulk lots, too many possibly.
    6. I was a successful secret Santa (being an actual Santa today, 12:30, Peckham Rye).
    5. Finally acknowledged that I have some sort of Lego disease.
    6. Met a bunch of great people who are more bonkers about Lego than I am without actually meeting anyone.
    7. Had a sort to build ratio for the year of 80/20. Must do better.
    Legogramkoshkaecmo47Bumblepantscatwranglerbluedragon
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia, BulgariaMember Posts: 3,379
    1. Didn't get too depressed having most of my collection on the other side of the ocean (most of the time at least)
    2. Managed to get some cool stuff like the German DFBs and Brick Bank on work trips to Germany which helped with #1
    3. Begged enough to get a few family members to search for clearance deals at Wal-Mart for me and got some great stuff.
    4. Designed 5 or 6 modulars in LDD to make this coming year when back in the States for a bit. Hopefully will get to take some to Brick Fiesta with my LUG.
    catwranglerbluedragonecmo47kiki180703
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,018
    1. I built two new Bionicle MOCs that I'm proud of: Iolana and Toxicarosa.

2. I reviewed two Bionicle sets for New Elementary (my review of #71305 and #71307 is here; my review of #71312 and #71316 is still forthcoming).

3. I continued my work as a news reporter at BZPower. So far I've reported 359 news stories this year, or a little over one news story per day on average. That's up from just 211 stories last year.

4. My "Ten Amazing LEGO Ninjago Moments" article I wrote for Blocks Magazine last year was published in this February's Issue 16, and LEGO Ninjago design director Simon Lucas even tweeted about it.

5. I continued to work on WIPs and concepts on LEGO Digital Designer, though most are still not to a state where I'm prepared to post them.

6. I continued to collect Bionicle, Ninjago, and Elves sets and began collecting Nexo Knights sets.

7. I exhibited at four LEGO fan conventions: BrickUniverse in Raleigh, Scouting for Bricks in Leesburg, BrickFair Virginia in Chantilly,  and BrickFair New Jersey in Somerset.

8. I participated in a LEGO Rebrick user experience test at BrickFair Virginia.

9. I participated in BZPower's Brick Bank video build at BrickFair New Jersey.

10. I attended the Pentagon City, VA LEGO Store grand opening event.

Other than the news reporting, I feel like this year was less productive for me than last year. I haven't done any new LEGO illustrations, though I'm hoping re-enrolling at college in January to study for a B.A. in Studio Art will help kick-start my creativity.
    ecmo47bluedragoncatwranglerGothamConstructionCokiki180703
    I certainly would not call getting #2 (and #6!) a "modest" accomplishment. Thanks for sharing a photo of both.
    CupIsHalfEmptykiki180703
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Washington, USAMember Posts: 163
    Well, mine is fairly straight forward:

I came out of my Dark Ages and back to the light! 

I look forward to 2017 and what it holds in terms of Lego!
    Legogramkiki180703
  • asrfarinhaasrfarinha Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 62
    Modest enough year:
    1. Came out of my dark ages after 20 years or so

2. Opened a BrickLink store and grew it to almost 70k parts

3. Built a bunch of mosaics
    Bring on 2017!
    catwranglerkoshkakiki180703
  • DoctorMcGannDoctorMcGann NashvilleMember Posts: 35
    1. Came out of a year long run of not touching my LEGO
    2. Rebuilt my Hogwarts setup which was destroyed by children
    3. Designed, sourced, and built an additional tower for said Hogwarts setup

And that's just in the last couple of months! 2017 is gonna be great.
    catwranglerBumblepants
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 605
    1. Got my biggest LEGO set (Firehouse Headquarters)
    2.... made some things for some competitions, which helped 'improve' my physical building
    3. Got an Ideas project to about 5700 supporters (please help! https://ideas.lego.com/projects/77042
    4. Made some great awesome and amazing things on LDD with the help of Bluerender!

and probably more...

hopefully 2017 will be just as good, maybe better!
    ClutchPower
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,196
    1. Spend entirely too much money on Lego

2. Completely run out of space

3. Fail to unbox all of my super hero minifig collection, label them and put them in displays. 
    Bumblepantskhmellymelbluedragonredarmy
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 1,743
    edited December 2016
    ^ I already did that this year:)  That was something I didn't mention before. I had to pack up all of my sets and put them in 25 50 gallon bins because I would like to finally finish my basement and was tired of the general disorganization and clutter. 
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 289
    Not a bad LEGO year for me, nothing quite as grand as most of the replies so far....

1. Got far more involved with Brickset and the forum after lurking for a while.
    2. Added another modular to my street and filled some of the gaps in. Its always going to be a fluid area with sets changing, but for now I'm happy.
    3. Really got into MOCing my own designs up with both TBBT and Doctor Strange sets being modified into two floors of a cafe I adapted from plans I bought from Brickcity Depot.
    4. Completed the Scooby Doo theme and then turned the mansion into little display piece.
    5. Did something similar with a few of the City deep sea sets.
    ecmo47bluedragon
  • SalamalexSalamalex UKMember Posts: 157
    @shib another of your accomplishments for the year must be the fact that you instigated the monthly building competition that has run all year with at least anther six already in the offing. 
    ShibSirKevbagsTheOriginalSimonBcatwranglerLostInTranslationbandit778Legogramkiki180703khmellymel
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 275
    This question has been plaguing me for a few weeks now and you can see more analysis of what I did in 2016 here

But TL;DR
    • Improved my storage solutions
    • Shared 64 MOCs with the world this year
    • Gained around 20,000 new pieces
    • Spent less than 2015
    • Built my first Winter Village
    catwranglerBumblepants
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 771
    More organized than before.
    Bought less overall.
    Built more MOCs than I had in previous years. Next step is to photograph them.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 3,751
    Salamalex said:
    @shib another of your accomplishments for the year must be the fact that you instigated the monthly building competition that has run all year with at least anther six already in the offing. 
    I think that one can be attributed to the community as a whole instead ;-)
    catwranglerSalamalex
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,087
    2016 A Year In Review
    2016: A Year In Review

Published Work
    -S.H.I.E.I.D. Helicarrier - Blocks Magazine, Issue 16 (21st January, 2016)
    -Clockwork Robot - Blocks Magazine, Issue 16 (21st January, 2016)
    -"Hey Everyone!" - Blocks Magazine, Issue 19 (21st April, 2016)
    -LEGO Brand Store (Modular Building) – The Brothers Brick (13th August, 2016)
    -Caerphilly Castle - BBC News, ITV News, Wales Online & Caerphilly Observer (25th August, 2016)

My Own Creation’s
    -Mini Batwing
    -Batman ‘66 Batmobile
    -Ghostbusters, Ecto-1
    -Hall Of Armour, Module
    -LEGO HQ - Drawer
    -LEGO Brand Store
    -Turtle XL
    -Caerphilly Castle
    -Mini Imperial Hovertank
    -The Android's Dungeon & Baseball Card Shop

Additional Highlights
    -Deadpool (2016) - Poster liked by Deadpool creator Rob Liefeld on Twitter.
    -Winner of NYCC2016 - DC Super Heroes Girls - Batgirl through LEGO's 
    -I was invited to attend the LEGO Brand Store, Leicester Square 'Exclusive Fan Event' during November. It was best moment of my life! Two hours of pure joy and happiness! It was fantastic meeting Jamie Berard and Kim Ellekjær Thomsen at the event.

Best Of 2016
    catwranglerkhmellymelecmo47ClutchPowerbluedragonflordstluxMaffyD
    ^You certainly are skilled and prolific! Thanks for sharing your creations here on BL.
    Adzbadboy
  • MaffyDMaffyD HuddersfieldMember Posts: 1,100