Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

BrickLoot vs. BrickBox vs. BrickSwag

KkgirlKkgirl MassachusettsMember Posts: 1

Hi Everyone - I would like to enroll my nephew (7 years old) in a monthly subscription to one of the above memberships.  I was wondering if anyone has ever subscribed to any of these memberships and if so, is there one in particular that is a little more fun than the others.  My nephew has been a Lego fan since he was about 4 years old and that's all he plays with!  He will actually read the directions and put the set together. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• JodyJody Eastern USAMember Posts: 104
    I would rather just spend $40 a month toward something I actually want. You are paying a premium for something someone else doesn't want. $10 shipping for the one is just too much. I can mail order something I want and get free shipping most places...so my dollar goes farther.
    gmonkey76kiki18070377ncaachampsstluxClutchPower
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,747
    Just buy it on Amazon monthly and have it shipped to him.

These "crates" are hit and miss: you get something good, you get something meh, you get something useless.
    stluxkiki180703
  • kbenjeskbenjes Member Posts: 53
    I think some of the other crates have deals with companies wherein they can get exclusive items. I do not believe any LEGO crates have such deals, which limits their desirability for collectors.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 3,743 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 10,253
    This suggestion might not go over well, but...

Send him stuff every month. A company isn't going to know your nephew better than you. You hear he's into Ninjas this month? Pop into walmart for ten minutes, pick out the appropriate value of sets, and send them to him. He'll get more sets (subscription boxes generally only send 1-2 small sets a month), and it will be cheaper (even if you just use flat-rate boxes every month).
    I love this idea. A lot. Subscriptions for anything can be hit of miss.

I saw this a while ago and thought it was neat:
    http://www.model-space.com/us/build-millennium-falcon.html

Can you imagine if Lego did something like this? A huge detailed Millennium Falcon or X-Wing or a lifesized Lego statue of Darth Vader or Boba Fett? Each month, you get a section to build.
    Jackad7SprinkleOttercatwranglerricecakekiki180703
  • willobee498willobee498 CanadalandMember Posts: 222
    Definitely avoid those loot crate things. Usually filled with a teeny amount of Lego, a different plastic brick brand item, and a bunch of various 'swag' stuff like shirts or cards. Your money is better spent on picking up specific Lego sets.
    SprinkleOtterdrdavewatfordmadforLEGOkiki180703Jackad7
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,427
    Pitfall69 said:
    This suggestion might not go over well, but...

Send him stuff every month. A company isn't going to know your nephew better than you. You hear he's into Ninjas this month? Pop into walmart for ten minutes, pick out the appropriate value of sets, and send them to him. He'll get more sets (subscription boxes generally only send 1-2 small sets a month), and it will be cheaper (even if you just use flat-rate boxes every month).
    I love this idea. A lot. Subscriptions for anything can be hit of miss.

I saw this a while ago and thought it was neat:
    http://www.model-space.com/us/build-millennium-falcon.html

Can you imagine if Lego did something like this? A huge detailed Millennium Falcon or X-Wing or a lifesized Lego statue of Darth Vader or Boba Fett? Each month, you get a section to build.
    I would be SO into that. Or maybe a town you could build bit by bit, but it'd be a particularly interesting way to do a single huge model, both in terms of the design at TLG's end, and the building experience. 

The best part is that with it being TLG, you could trust that the instructions would actually work and the end product would be good quality - I've been burned before with some of those magazine partworks where you build a working robot or whatever...
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,584
    I loved the subscription format for the Master Building Academy but it was probably a flop as they stopped it rather quickly.

I would subscribe to anything similar.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,427
    Yeah, I was always sad that we never got the Master Building Academy. Maybe the idea was just ahead of its time; with subscription boxes being so popular now I would think people might be more into it...
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,312
    To all those bemoaning the MBA, LEGO had Brickmaster for years, and it was quite successful. However, was just too expensive ($70 for three months, instead of $40 for 6 months), and lost a lot of the charm of Brickmaster.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,124
    edited December 2016
    I tend to like the beauty subscriptions like Birchbox or Ipsy, but those are the only ones with consistently good items (or items I'd like to try, or at least are useful in some way).  The swag boxes I've tried have the odd good item in it and most other items are... well, useless, at least to me.  I think the brick boxes look the worst though as the actual Lego offered in them looks to be minimal (although if your nephew is okay with off brand that's a different consideration I suppose).  

I've taken to checking out what's available through Z Box or Lootcrate in previous months every once in awhile and IF there is an exclusive that I fancy, to look on eBay if someone is selling the item separately and get it that way.  I've only ever found one or two items that I want that way (like a Tokidoki lanyard that was in an anime Lootcrate).  One £10 overpriced item for every three months or so is better than the £60 they are asking for all the other stuff.  Often enough some people may even sell the whole month's box.

I'd take @SprinkleOtter's suggestion and create a personalised box of stuff to send your nephew every month instead... looking for stocking fillers at the last minute has made me realise that if I had taken advantage of sales throughout the year I probably could have created a whole themed stocking every month instead of running around like crazy two days before Christmas trying to find the perfect gifts for the budget!  Maybe after Christmas sales will be your friend :)
    stluxcatwranglerSprinkleOtterkiki180703ClutchPowersnowhitie
    I subscribe to @Legoboy 's box o Shite. I get one or two a year and it is filled with such crap, you don't even need a delivery notice; you can smell the rotting pile of feces on your doorstep from inside the house.
    LegoboySprinkleOttergmonkey76kiki180703ClutchPowerSumoLegoGalactus
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 7,986
    edited December 2016
    ^ Thought at worst you'd sell it to make next month's mortgage repayment and not get thrown out.  Send it back and make me rich again.  No no, you'd need to sell it to cover the postage so that doesn't work.

Think, THINK!

Got it!  Sell half of it and then you can bus it down to Orlando next year to give me back the other half.  You'll be hitching back home though, if you still have one.

Note to oneself; lesson learnt.
    I think you have your boxes confused with the ones that I send to you. Steam.doesn't come from mine during the colder months ;)
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 671
    I've had a monthly reminder in my calendar to buy little bits and bobs for MrsB to fill her advent calendar with, which has really helped. So if you go down the road of making a parcel yourself each month I recommend that.
    SprinkleOtterLittleLorikiki180703ClutchPower
  • just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 245
    Brick Swag sucks, Brick Loot is decent if you don't mind custom figures. There's a ton of China-made "knock-off" brand in Brick Loot though.
    Jackad7MasterBeefyClutchPowersid3windr
  • ClutchPowerClutchPower Austin, TexasMember Posts: 210
    @just2good  Thanks for your review on your channel. I sgree with you 100%
    just2good