You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LEGO's Customer Service on replacing missing pieces

ClutchPowerClutchPower Austin, TexasMember Posts: 179
Hey everyone,

I was just opening an old TMNT set and building it, when I noticed that they sent a 1 by 10 light gray brick in the wrong color. I went online to their Customer Service and went to the missing brick section. When I found the piece I needed, it seems like it thinks that I just want to buy that one piece. A few questions from me:

If you are missing pieces, will LEGO replace it for free, or do you have to pay for shipping/handling?

I have had a couple of sets with broken bricks, mis-prints and more. If I make a large order, will they consider it as just missing pieces or not?

I have heard that sometimes, their customer service has some issues getting certain parts. If they don't have the specific piece, will they replace it with something, or will they just leave you with nothing?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, if anyone knows anything, please help. :D

Comments

• Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 461
    They replace missing and broken parts for free.

If they don't have it, they just point you towards Bricklink and say, "Good luck!"
    ClutchPowerkiki180703Jackad7madforLEGO
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 13,896
    Are you sure you haven't made a mistake in building? Getting the wrong colour for a part seems to be much rarer than getting a missing part.
    Jackad7madforLEGO
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 886
    CCC said:
    Are you sure you haven't made a mistake in building? Getting the wrong colour for a part seems to be much rarer than getting a missing part.

That would be my guess too. It is a mistake I have made often myself. Sometimes on the instructions it is hard to differentiate certain colors, and I end up placing the wrong color in a step. Only to find out later that I'm missing that piece, but have an "extra" one in the wrong color.

As far as replacement pieces, as others have said, LEGO will replace them if they still have them in production/stock. My guess is that you may have accidentally chosen that you want to buy bricks via Bricks & Pieces, rather than reporting and requesting missing bricks. Personally I just call customer service for missing pieces, rather than following the online process. I found it easier to talk to a real human rather than filling out a form. It is more personal, and if there are any issues with replacing the piece, they can tell me right away.

ClutchPowerkiki180703
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 497
    @ClutchPower use the missing parts feature, but use it sparingly. I don't know this as fact as far as LEGO goes but at other places accounts can be flagged if it appears that an account is ordering too many extra parts. 

I have ordered missing parts through LEGO recently, one was a 6 x 34 train car piece missing from a box, and to answer the other question the part is free and you do not pay for shipping.
    ClutchPowerkiki180703Jackad7
  • ClutchPowerClutchPower Austin, TexasMember Posts: 179
    CCC said:

Yes, I have double checked and watched many videos on YouTube, which show a 1 by 10 in a Dark Gray color, not Light Gray. But thanks for asking. :)

image.jpg 1002.9K
    image.jpg 1017.5K
    77ncaachamps
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 465
    That's actually not what the other commenters were saying.  Somewhere else in the build, you likely accidentally used a dark gray plate instead of the light gray.  It's rare for Lego to make a color mistake like you are claiming due to the way their system is automated.  So, you can either contact Lego (as @akunthita stated it is much easier to just talk to a human on the phone) or look through the entire build for the mistake.  Whichever you feel is easier.  And as others stated, you can get blacklisted for requesting too many missing parts, so try to request them sparingly.
    ClutchPower77ncaachampsmadforLEGOSethro3
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 535
    Double check Book 2, steps 11 and 24.
    ClutchPowerthenos77ncaachampsMaffyD
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 886
    @ClutchPower I have looked at the parts-list for your set, and it has 3 dark-gray and 6 light-gray 1x10 plates. You probably just mixed them up in another section of the build. Check it. It is a very common mistake.   
    ClutchPowergratefulnatkiki180703
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 13,896
    They've closed the for sale bit of bricks and pieces for Xmas haven't they?
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,351
    Yep, reopens Feb 1st 2017 I think.
  • ClutchPowerClutchPower Austin, TexasMember Posts: 179
    I actually just called them today, and they have got my piece shipping. Very friendly and 10 out of 10. Thank you to everyone who helped me. :D
    Jackad7kiki180703madforLEGO
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,588
    Always check inside and under the couch. It's the land of missing items.
    Legogramkiki180703ClutchPowercatwrangler
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,238
    Always check inside and under the couch. It's the land of missing items.
    And inside other pieces! I found one of the Batcave minifig hairpieces sitting inside the cave's chest of drawers body.
    stlux