Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

How to get bulk parts

Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 403
So I've finally finished all the major sets I wanted and I'm now looking to begin building mocs and stuff but without having instructions or someone elses design (so just free building). I was wondering if anyone has a good method for getting good building parts cheap. I thought of bricklink but its jard to just get bulk parts there, usually you have to have some sort of list. I also thought about ebay but bulk lots on there are usually picked through by someone else or I'll end up with very few actually usuable parts. Primarily looking for greens, grays, and tans.
Thanks again.

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,097
    You don't need wants lists for BL. Find a seller that has say 100 of a key part you want, then browse their store.
    SprinkleOttermadforLEGOkiki180703
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,212
    edited December 2016
    This week I have bought thousands and thousands of bricks n bits for £35. Charity shops and being friendly are your keys to this. Its also a case of not what you know but, who you know. An old school friend works at a local council refuse recycling site, I picked up an enormous box for £10 from him and it was all very satisfactory. Also, reclaiming can be full of surprises, there was £1.03p in the box so it was even cheaper.

I've never needed to buy from eBay and at the rate I'm finding stuff, may never need to.
    catwranglerSprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 162
    edited December 2016
    AllBrick said:
    This week I have bought thousands and thousands of bricks n bits for £35. Charity shops and being friendly are your keys to this. Its also a case of not what you know but, who you know. An old school friend works at a local council refuse recycling site, I picked up an enormous box for £10 from him and it was all very satisfactory. Also, reclaiming can be full of surprises, there was £1.03p in the box so it was even cheaper.

I've never needed to buy from eBay and at the rate I'm finding stuff, may never need to.
    Would love to know how you find Lego in charity shops. Never seen any around here, despite checking over a dozen charity shops regularly, except for £8 bags for around 500g which had significant amounts of non-Lego mixed in :(
    sid3windrJackad7kiki180703
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,721
    Join an active Lego User's Group (LUG). They may have resources for bulk parts. 
    BuriedinBricksSirBenkiki180703
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 836
    If you are anywhere near a lego store then PaB is a good source for bricks - if they have 1x2, 1x3 and 1x4 in brown, green, gray, tan then I tend to stack a few large tubs worth.  It takes a while to build up but with the part rotation (or in the UK it's small enough to get to a number of stores) you can get a decent selection. There have been some interesting others like 1x2 med blue and dark red too.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,280
    ecmo47 said:
    Join an active Lego User's Group (LUG). They may have resources for bulk parts. 
    You conveniently have two in Wisconsin. Mine (WisLUG) which meets in Madison and Milwaukee (and possibly the Fox Cities sometime next year) and Kenosha LUG in SE Wisconsin.

PM me if you have any questions.
    SirKevbagskiki180703
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 539
    Would love to find a LUG near me.

• ShadowedgeShadowedge USAMember Posts: 44
    blogzilly said:
    Would love to find a LUG near me.

http://lan.lego.com/lugs

It lists OhioLUG as having members in the greater Columbus area.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 437
    I highly recommend joining a LUG. I've gotten bulk batches of a number of parts through participation in my LUG. 
    BuriedinBricks
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia, BulgariaMember Posts: 3,656
    SirBen said:
    I highly recommend joining a LUG. I've gotten bulk batches of a number of parts through participation in my LUG. 
    Also: Real life Lego friends are neat to have. 
    SirKevbagsBuriedinBricksgmonkey76
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,212
    RogerKirk said:
    AllBrick said:

Would love to know how you find Lego in charity shops. Never seen any around here, despite checking over a dozen charity shops regularly, except for £8 bags for around 500g which had significant amounts of non-Lego mixed in :(

Stuck in the box again....

Just keep going, it will happen eventually. I drive all over looking and I have made friends along the way who keep their eyes peeled on my behalf. These boxes are normally like busses, you hunt around for weeks and 3 appear at omce. Sometimes a box will be £40-£50 (expensive for me) but, another will be £10 so it all evens out. 

Mostly luck, some skill and having someone on the inside is always helpful.

Don't encroach on my patches though @RogerKirk, we are in the same town after all.
    RogerKirk
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 162
    AllBrick said:
    RogerKirk said:
    AllBrick said:

Stuck in the box again....

Just keep going, it will happen eventually. I drive all over looking and I have made friends along the way who keep their eyes peeled on my behalf. These boxes are normally like busses, you hunt around for weeks and 3 appear at omce. Sometimes a box will be £40-£50 (expensive for me) but, another will be £10 so it all evens out. 

Mostly luck, some skill and having someone on the inside is always helpful.

Don't encroach on my patches though @RogerKirk, we are in the same town after all.
    Haha. I'm sure there are more than enough shops to go around. Pretty sure I can think of over 25 charity shops off the top of my head across Brighton and Hove. Though I'm sure you must be getting to them first, given you find things and I don't :D
    AllBrick