You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Leicester Square store - Enough with the queueing!

BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 776
Popped down to the Leicester Square store at lunchtime today, as it's less than 15 mins from work, with the intention of picking up a calendar (incidentally, I've got four stickers, are you allowed to get more than one calendar?) and maybe a couple of bits and bobs.

Yet again there was a member of staff holding people outside in a queue.  Now I appreciate that in opening week, when the world and his wife wanted to get in, they might have had to restrict access, but they've had the queueing system in place several times since, and the thing that bugs me is that there are only about 12 people in the store!  Seriously - I've seen three times that in the Watford store and that's the size of a broom cupboard!

It's almost like they're trying to increase the hype (Gosh!, look how popular the store is, you have to queue to get in!), but quite frankly I've had enough.  It might be more of a trek, but in future I'll stick to Watford or Stratford - at least they let their customers in!

Comments

• William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 692
    Surely it's just to do with the demand of Christmas. If the queueing system is still there after Christmas there just joking around.  
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 516
    I went there last week (the Tuesday - 13th) and they had the queue barriers up but no queue or anything. It was quite busy inside. Mostly tourists though. Maybe they are using the queue to interrogate people "are you here to actually BUY anything... show me your credit cards". Or they have had a big shoplifting problem? 
  • omniumomnium Member Posts: 82
    They still have queues? I'll think I'll stick to Westfield Shepherd's Bush if I have to make a special trip to a store. And use Leicester Sq if I happen to be in town and in no rush.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 4,777
    Yes you can get more than one calendar. I redeemed three receipts for three calendars at Leicester Square last Saturday  (had to queue for about ten mins to get in) 
    stlux
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 809
    @LostInTranslation That's good to hear, as I will attempt to redeem 5 stickers for calendars later today! (more likely I'll redeem 2-3, and offer to send the remaining to anybody who's in need of a sticker)
    snowhitie
    I didn't think I would be going to a lego store this side of Xmas so I didn't keep the receipt with the sticker to get the calendar. Annoying but my own fault. 
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 253
    Does anyone know how long the calendars are available for? Thanks to the distribution of shops in the South West (Cardiff - that's it) I won't be able to get to a Lego store this side of New Year sadly...
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,085
    edited December 2016
    I redeemed for four at Glasgow so it stands to reason that you could at Leicester Square as they should have more? (incidentally I was in London only a week ago to do the same but declined to go into the store for the same reasons so had to redeem in Glasgow when I got back).  Four is a handy number to have for the lead up to Christmas, three kiddos to buy for plus one for me!
    thebeermonkey
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 809
    @PeteM According to what a store employee wrote on one of my receipts: 11-Dec to 15-Jan.
    PeteM
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 253
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 195
    Wish I could get to a Lego store to get a calender, queue or no queue. 
  • RevBluesRevBlues Member Posts: 95
    Undoubtedly due to shoplifting.  When I was in there two weeks ago you could barely move for people.  Too easy to fill one's pockets and bags and walk out the door.

Does anyone know if they stock Power Functions in that store?  I need a battery box, transformer and a couple of LED lights.  I would have looked myself, but it was hard enough squeezing through the crush to buy 21307-1: Caterham Seven 620R and then running to catch my train home.
    edited December 2016
    Went to the Leicester Square store during the week.  It is a disaster.  Queue was snaked around outside the store, and as I joined the back of a line of at least 300 people a man in a high visibility jacket tapped me on the shoulder and said "back of the line is over there".  He gestured to a second group of people, at least 100 strong, who were being held about 50 yards away.  More were joining by the second.

It was freezing cold mid-morning and I didn't have the time to wait.  But interested to see how busy it was in the store itself, I stood near the entrance to take a look inside.  It wasn't that busy overall, and the line at the tills only had about ten people in it (which I'm guessing represented about 5-6 purchases).  Probably 2-3 people leaving every minute (a slower rate than joiners to the line).  And at least a third who exited left without a bag.

Lego need to do two things: hire more staff to keep an eye on customers so they can let more in, and during very busy periods ask those who join the queue if they are there as a tourist or as a customer.  Sure, a few will lie, but a few will admit they don't plan to buy anything.

Webstore it is......
    Hmmm, maybe set up a VIP card holder queue??
    I walked past Leicester Sq last night, but not through, so didn't get to check out the queue at 7pm.
    I was in Westfield London yesterday lunchtime, it was very busy too, but no queues ;-)
    And I forgot my calendar receipt/sticker, drat!
    RevBlues
    omnium said:
    Excellent idea!  Suggest it to them...  ;o)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 7,739
    RevBlues said:
    omnium said:
    .........when you get to the front.
    RevBluesAllBrickbandit778gmonkey76
    Legoboy said:
    RevBlues said:
    omnium said:
    .........when you get to the front.
    +44 (0) 207 839 3480.  Go on.  Do it.
    AllBrick
  • koshkakoshka UK/SwedenMember Posts: 154
    RevBlues said:
    Undoubtedly due to shoplifting.  When I was in there two weeks ago you could barely move for people.  Too easy to fill one's pockets and bags and walk out the door.

Does anyone know if they stock Power Functions in that store?  I need a battery box, transformer and a couple of LED lights.  I would have looked myself, but it was hard enough squeezing through the crush to buy 21307-1: Caterham Seven 620R and then running to catch my train home.
    Yes they do but they keep them out the back. They were happy to get them and it will speed things up if you have a bit of paper with set numbers written down. Availability of different motor sizes was a bit limited when I was there.
    RevBlues
  • BuoernyBuoerny Member Posts: 12
    I had to queue for about 15 minutes on Wednesday evening at 9pm.  Once inside it wasn't too busy but the queue for the till was reasonably deep.

The pick a brick wall was almost bare at the lower levels and I reckon that someone in the queue had filled a small cup in part using bricks from the building table.

Not sure what I thought about the tidiness of the store - the emptiness of the pick a brick wall made it look a bit messy overall.
  • princedravenprincedraven Essex, UKMember Posts: 3,714
    A friend was up there Thursday, gave up as the queue outside was ridiculous.
    I still haven't filled in my store survey from my first visit there, so I might add that to my feedback. I know the stores read their feedback because I've had a response from a couple of points I made in the past.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,163
    Has this been typical of other major Lego stores when they opened, and if so, did they eventually calm down/hire more people and stop with the monstrous queues? Because as much as I want to finally visit a Lego store, this would put me right off if I were in London (or elsewhere) with limited time...
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,624
    I went New Year's Eve. Had to queue for 30 mins. I sort of felt like Lego were doing me a favour allowing me to shop there. Wasn't even that busy inside. All very odd I must say. Much prefer the normal Leeds, Milton Keynes, Sheffield etc layout. Downstairs felt kind of empty.
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 256
    I sent my sister to collect a calender for me and she said the queue was reporated to be 30 mins. She also said it didn't look at all busy inside but she gave up and went to Westfield for me instead when passing. 

We are going to London next month and it's on my list to go and look but the kids aren't going to want to queue for 30 plus minutes (though the whining emitting from the other half might lessen that significantly after a while)
    I went the Tuesday before xmas. Most schools hadn't finished for the hols then. Would of been about half ten ish when I got there. No queue at all. Busy ish in the store, but not crazy. Maybe once the school holidays finish (back tomorrow for most) it will be quieter if you can go on a week day. 
    catwrangler
    Actually I went the week before the week before xmas. It was the 13th. My mistake! 
  • piraka23piraka23 Member Posts: 18
    Any Year of Rooster set this January?
    Legopassion8
  • jondesouzaCEjondesouzaCE UKMember Posts: 241
    Still queues on New Year's Eve. It'll be interesting to see how long this lasts.
    Gruff666
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 13,717
    Probably quite a while,especially during school holidays. LEGOLAND-lite tourist attraction, free entry.
  • koshkakoshka UK/SwedenMember Posts: 154
    edited January 3
    Having gone the week after it opened and then twice in the run up to Xmas it definitely feels like they're trying to reduce the number of people in the store at any one time. It was hard (but not impossible) to find someone to help the first time that I went. Till queues have been fairly short every time so a lot of people are just browsing. That said, the speed that the buses and skylines fly off of the shelves show that there's a lot of buying going on as well.
  • AyliffeAyliffe United KingdomMember Posts: 119
    piraka23 said:
    yup, free with a £125 spend
  • princeofgonvilleprinceofgonville LondonMember Posts: 1
    CCC said:
    Probably quite a while,especially during school holidays. LEGOLAND-lite tourist attraction, free entry.
    Free entry. There's just an exit fee, which will depend on how many of your kids need another minifig, and how many boxes you have in your hands.
    MattDawsonstluxcatwranglerOrmskirkBrickssnowhitie
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 13,717
    CCC said:
    Free entry. There's just an exit fee, which will depend on how many of your kids need another minifig, and how many boxes you have in your hands.
    Although true for UK visitors (although that can be offset for savvy kids by saying they can get more for their money online), I doubt many US or European visitors will be picking up regular sets at UK prices. So I still imagine it will be a free tourist attraction for a while yet.
  • piraka23piraka23 Member Posts: 18
    edited January 3
    Ayliffe said:
    piraka23 said:
    yup, free with a £125 spend
    Seriously £125? Can we buy it seperately?
  • William_TownsleyWilliam_Townsley Perth, Scotland Member Posts: 692
    When it opened. They were selling it individually
    Legoboy
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 7,739
    When it opened. They were selling it individually
    In error, apparently. Raised a bit of awareness.
    William_Townsley
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,085
    I have a friend in London who is a typical adult girly/posh type and hasn't given any thought to Lego since... well, ever.  Even she's been to the Leicester Square store.  Definitely a tourist/day out thing you can do without spending a penny.
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 1,141
    Ok, please excuse the disbelief, is Leicester Square now only giving a rooster away with a spend of over £125? Warning, spoiler below may offend.

Seriously?

What the cluck?
    That's obscene.

stluxSprinkleOttersnowhitie
    The irony: just got an email from Lego asking if I've been to the Leicester Square store yet, and if not, why not go.  
  • nychromastonenychromastone The Empire StateMember Posts: 105
    edited January 16
    Lego_Star said:
    Ok, please excuse the disbelief, is Leicester Square now only giving a rooster away with a spend of over £125? Warning, spoiler below may offend.

Seriously?

INCONCEIVABLE!!!

my brother offered to make a special stop to the Leicester Square store just for me and returned from his vacation empty handed. he didn't know how to break the news to me as i didn't expect him to cram £125 worth of purchases into his luggage. all i asked was for two small rooster sets. was this meant to be a promotion all along?!