Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Me and Lego - one year on (A Warning to Newbies)

I'm sure that most on this forum will relate to what I am about to write but I thought I'd post this as a cautionary tale to anyone just finding their feet in the world of Lego.

I discovered the joy of Lego just over 12 months ago at a rather ripe old age and what a year its been. If someone had of told me a year ago I'd be in this position I would never have believed it. 

I started hesitantly with a sneaky purchase from eBay of the discontinued Exo Suite, but was too afraid to 'come out' to my wife and grown children. However, I eventually dropped enough hints and was surprised how easily my new found hobby was accepted. Once out in the open I purchased a few more sets and gave my Xmas list to the family which resulted in some great sets including the Tumbler, several modulars and a good few smaller sets. 

My birthday followed in the next couple of months and included lots more Lego and I continued buying more and more until now... 

In the 13 or so months that have followed I have:

• Spent many thousands of pounds on countless Lego sets
  • Begun a huge extension to accommodate a large (at least as large as I can) Lego Room
  • Launched a Youtube Channel (now with over 500 subs)
  • Attended 3 major Lego events
  • Setup a brick link store
  • Setup a brick owl store
  • Joined the Brickish Society
  • Become incapable of passing up on any Lego deal
  • Built up a reasonable library of Lego books
  • Subscribed to both Blocks and Bricks magazines
  • Watched endless hours of Lego related Youtube content and much much more

Who knows what next year will bring, but I hope it is as eventful and fun packed as this year has been.

For those just embarking on their Lego adventure... tread carefully! but enjoy the ride

For those who understand and share the addiction... Its great to be amongst such great company!!!!

PS - for those interested - The bulk of what I've accumulated this year can be found here http://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-All_That_Rocks

thedoctor46gmonkey76snowhitieJooTogbandit778stluxkoshkaGjedwardsGoldchainsGlacierfalls265Pitfall69catwranglerblogzillyMegtheCatJackad7kiki180703davetheoxygenmanLostInTranslationBricklover18Daraghobi_gJonathanChauJamesJTClutchPowernychromastoneSeanTheCollector77ncaachampsRsa33Jern92spepperchuckp

Comments

• Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,130
    edited December 2016
    Oh....I thought you were gonna warn us about the mutants who secretly run Lego and their evil plot to trap our souls in bley 1x2 tiles. Wicked stuff, bro...Wicked! 

The Bley Agenda
    All_That_RocksGlacierfalls265blogzillykiki180703LostInTranslation
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 224
    Jackad7 said:
    As someone who started collecting again almost exactly twelve months ago I feel like I'm an under achiever. 
    I'm the same. But I've also mentioned this to my wife to show her I'm actually being quite restrained with my college...perhaps justifying a more extreme approach to collecting in 2017.
    stluxlegomentalcatwranglerblogzillykiki180703dspigeldavetheoxygenmanLEGO_Dad77
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 832
    Jackad7 said:
    As someone who started collecting again almost exactly twelve months ago I feel like I'm an under achiever. 

Ditto. Got back from my Dark Ages 14 months ago and I'm nowhere near that list... except for the thousands of $ spent on LEGO, of course :-)
    All_That_RocksblogzillyJackad7kiki180703davetheoxygenmanBillyBricks84
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,903
    Wow!! You must have quite the income. I mean, you subscribe to BOTH Bricks and Blocks magazine! All kidding aside, welcome to the party. I'm looking forward to some photos, especially of the Lego room addition.
    All_That_RocksblogzillyJackad7kiki180703dspigeldavetheoxygenmanJern92
  • Glacierfalls265Glacierfalls265 USAMember Posts: 201
    I don't even want to think how much money overall I've spent...
    All_That_Rocksblogzillykiki180703davetheoxygenmanRsa33
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 222
    What is your YouTube channel and Brick store called? Links.
    All_That_Rocks
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 597
    Oops I almost forgot. This will make some of you a bit....queasy...

http://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-blogzilly
    All_That_Rocks
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,421
    My dark age ended on January 9th, when I came across a post-2015 clearance, so I'm also about a year in. I also started selling on BrickLink. I made a few purchases before my dark age, and remembering it as a sales outlet helped get me buying again. I figured one store is plenty to keep track of, so I avoided BrickOwl. I've spent $1,060.02 on my own collection and $87.90 on DUPLO/LEGO gifts. I'm down $1,870.56 on BL, with $6,725.88 of inventory.
    All_That_Rocks
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,776
    you bought 570 sets in a year?
    I feel poor now. have been out of my dark age for 2 years and a half I think and bought less than 100 sets (counting cmfs)
    Jackad7kiki180703All_That_Rocks
    I bought only 93 this year, all modern, counting CMFs and polybags.
    Yeah, though some of them are counting single CMF packs and Dimension packs, polybags, etc. It counts all that as '1' equally. But still, yeah...it's a lot.

I'm essentially converting one collection type to another. I sell something that i used to collect, I use the cash to buy LEGO. Sold a Hot Toys 12-inch set a week or so ago for 550.00, so I started buying a few sets I wanted. Pretty much works like that. The money doesn't even come out of earned from jobs.
    Jackad7All_That_RockscatwranglerYodalicious
  • All_That_RocksAll_That_Rocks UKMember Posts: 498
    edited December 2016
    haha @ecmo47 unfortunately I couldn't stretch to Bricks Culture as well. Maybe next year. I'll pot on the 'What have you done to your house' thread when done. But I've being doing update videos on my youtube Channel :)

@CaptainPirateMan - My youtube channel is https://www.youtube.com/brickarena

Bricklink and Brickowl stores are also called Brick Arena.

edited December 2016
    let's see, I have 33 of the 2016 sets. 19 of them are cmfs and 1 is a polybag. I think only 2 are over 100€ (brick bank and jestro's volcano lair)
  • LegoAddictLegoAddict NW of ChicagoMember Posts: 24
    "sneaky ebay purchases!" ... I've been there before ... "hey there is a box you got in the mail, why is it making all the noise when I shake it" ... "give me that!" followed by quickly running upstairs!
    All_That_RocksGlacierfalls265chuckp
    @blogzilly great story! - Isn't it strange that so many of us started around a year or so ago and isn't it great that this hobby and the community that surrounds it can be so uplifting. 

Great collection by the way!!

I am also very similar to you in that I have funded this in part by selling other things I no longer need as well as from the income from Bricklink/Brickowl/eBay.

Would love to hear more about your goals if you feel able to share.
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 726
    edited December 2016
    Fauch said:
    I feel poor now. have been out of my dark age for 2 years and a half I think and bought less than 100 sets (counting cmfs)
    It's not all about quantity (or necessarily money). Sometimes available space or even (dare I say it) only collecting specific sets comes into it.

According to Brickset I've bought 20 sets in a year and a half...

http://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-xwingpilot
    ^ Totally agree!! This post wasn't to say 'mine is bigger than yours' It was just to illustrate how this hobby can grip you. 
    xwingpilotSprinkleOtter
    Yeah sorry if I seemed to suggest this was a cock off. That was not my intent at all.

As for some of my goals, @All_That_Rocks, I don't mind sharing. I mentioned in a different thread one of my goals is to submit a project to IDEAS. To get there another goal is to actually do some MOCs. I've done a few modifications on cars and sets that I've never shared, built a kind of skeleton for building 8-wide cars (that I need to redo), but I need to really dive in to one of the computer programs. 

I'd like to try and go to at least one show in 2017. Just to see what it's all about. I used to go to comic cons all the time in my other career, but a pure LEGO show has got to be something really special. 

Setting up a sorting system is on my list, a building area...a display area is a pipe dream in my current situation at home, but I will look into whatever I can.

Oh and I'd like to take a swing at building a couple of sets I really want by just getting the parts through what I have and Bricklink. I really enjoyed that process of collecting parts when I recently built a Chestburster. I am itching to do it again.
    All_That_Rockscatwrangler
    don't worry, I'm not complaining, there are people who can't even afford to buy lego.
    and yeah, 500 sets a year... that would feel like total overkill.
    @All_That_Rocks
    Some questions for you, if you don't mind.
    1. In the LEGO room that I assume is the older version, you had two mini busts on your Marvel shelf. What were those?
    2. What made you decide to open a Bricklink store?
    3. That's a NICE Mac...what is it?
    blogzilly said:
    Though single CMF packs and Dimension packs, polybags, etc. count as '1' equally still it's a lot. [snipped]

I'm essentially converting one collection type to another. I sell something that i used to collect, I use the cash to buy LEGO. Sold a Hot Toys 12-inch set a week or so ago for 550.00, so I started buying a few sets I wanted. Pretty much works like that. The money doesn't even come out of earned from jobs.
    I haven't sold much of my other collections, but I am focusing on LEGO instead.
    I happened to get a job a few months after ending my dark age, and much of what's left after bills goes into LEGO, getting me a second job in running my BL store.
    Fauch said:
    It's not all about quantity (or necessarily money). Sometimes available space or even (dare I say it) only collecting specific sets comes into it.
    Yeah, sometimes people who seem like the biggest fans have comparable interest but more money, time, etc. I see this in a lot of hobbies.

catwrangler
  • TrikkyrTrikkyr YorkshireMember Posts: 14
    The Doctor Who set got me back into Lego as well a few months or more back and has grown from there also. I've funded it like others have said by selling off other Collectible toys that I was losing interest in and were gathering dust on shelves. With limited space though I've actually sold on a few eBay lego buys after building lol. I'm trying to concentrate on certain sets now, it is hard sometimes, like the modulars, any Mech type sets, monster fighters and other odd sets I find interesting. I find it to be a relaxing and interesting hobby and am.looking forward to what 2017 brings.

Also as I've got into it more my 8yr old daughter has developed an interest and has most of the Elves sets.
    LegogramJackad7All_That_RocksBumblepantsdrdavewatfordcatwrangler
  • CaptainLegoCaptainLego FloridaMember Posts: 149
    I made this account months ago but never actually posted. Oops.

Anyway, got out of my own dark ages in December 2013. I've had some long breaks, but, I'm glad I got back into it. 
    Legogramblogzilly
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,809
    I find the most... resource intensive part of this hobby isn't the money spent on sets, but time spent in this forum! Which I'm totally happy with!
    LegogramtallblocktooDarcistluxbandit778catwranglerblogzillyMegtheCatYodalicious
  • Glacierfalls265Glacierfalls265 USAMember Posts: 201
    ^Same!! Although I think I spend more time on the Ideas site checking my submissions every few hours.... 
    MaffyD
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 165
    Or checking different online stored in the hopes of some new Sales/offers !
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 496
    I think I'm on a similar track. Emerged from my dark age about 7-8 months ago. #75094 Tydirium is what started it for me, although I did have a few sets bought over the years as an adult. I just passed 200 total sets last week. Lately I feel like my job is searching for clearance Lego.
    BillyBricks84catwrangler
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,949
    When you go all in, you go all in, ay?

Me too. 3 years and counting. I stopped tracking my purchases because it was embarrassing. 
  • asrfarinhaasrfarinha Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 108
    Great summary of a very eventful LEGO year @All_That_Rocks!

I came back from my dark ages a bit under a year ago, and #75059 during the "May the 4th promo" is what did it.
    I also feel like an underachiever compared to others here.
    Instead of building my collection very quickly I've been focusing on growing the BrickLink store in order to eventually have an extra bit of income to then grow my collection. So it's a long term plan, really :D
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 812
    In my experience, you go full force when you enter/re-enter the hobby and then it slowly dies down because you accumulate everything you wanted/needed/missed out on and realize you don't NEED every LEGO sale. You don't NEED everything LEGO related.

I got back into the hobby fall of 2010 because of the Harry Potter sets. I played with LDD a little bit that summer while I was waiting for my license to get processed, but hadn't touched a LEGO set in 15ish years. But those sets were released and felt compelled to get them. Then Kingdoms, then LOTR and Super Heroes...it draws you in for sure.

You realize what works best for you. If you prefer building, collecting, displaying, etc. Once you accumulate everything you have more freedom to limit what you get in the future. Some things that I loved at first, I don't really care about now. I don't necessarily regret getting them, but I don't NEED them now to feel complete like I thought I did when I got them.

Be smart and have fun.
    legomentalcatwranglerRecceSeanTheCollectorPeteM
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 540
    In the same boat:

In less than a year's time I've:

• purchased/built every modular (a couple are bricklinked)
    • filled half our basement with built lego sets
    • filled an entire closet and half of my office with a backlog / inventory of sealed sets
    • cashed in some stocks to buy a sealed #10179
    • angered the wife
    • spoiled the kids to the point where they don't consider Lego a gift anymore
    • got on a first name basis with some of the employees at local Lego stores
    • made frequent trips to Target and Walmart clearance aisles in search of Lego deals
    • purchased several Craigslist lots
    • went to Lego Land
    • went to Brick Fair
    This is probably the only forum where I won't be told I "have a problem". 
    koshkaSprinkleOtterGlacierfalls265SeanTheCollector77ncaachampsspepperLegogramstluxYodalicious