You must be 16 or over
to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules
before you join.
Recent discussions • Categories
Me and Lego - one year on (A Warning to Newbies)
I'm sure that most on this forum will relate to what I am about to write but I thought I'd post this as a cautionary tale to anyone just finding their feet in the world of Lego.
I discovered the joy of Lego just over 12 months ago at a rather ripe old age and what a year its been. If someone had of told me a year ago I'd be in this position I would never have believed it.
I started hesitantly with a sneaky purchase from eBay of the discontinued Exo Suite, but was too afraid to 'come out' to my wife and grown children. However, I eventually dropped enough hints and was surprised how easily my new found hobby was accepted. Once out in the open I purchased a few more sets and gave my Xmas list to the family which resulted in some great sets including the Tumbler, several modulars and a good few smaller sets.
My birthday followed in the next couple of months and included lots more Lego and I continued buying more and more until now...
In the 13 or so months that have followed I have:
- Spent many thousands of pounds on countless Lego sets
- Begun a huge extension to accommodate a large (at least as large as I can) Lego Room
- Launched a Youtube Channel (now with over 500 subs)
- Attended 3 major Lego events
- Setup a brick link store
- Setup a brick owl store
- Joined the Brickish Society
- Become incapable of passing up on any Lego deal
- Built up a reasonable library of Lego books
- Subscribed to both Blocks and Bricks magazines
- Watched endless hours of Lego related Youtube content and much much more
Who knows what next year will bring, but I hope it is as eventful and fun packed as this year has been.
For those just embarking on their Lego adventure... tread carefully! but enjoy the ride
For those who understand and share the addiction... Its great to be amongst such great company!!!!
PS - for those interested - The bulk of what I've accumulated this year can be found here http://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-All_That_Rocks