You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Minifigure Facial Features

blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 521
Hello everybody, Happy New Year!

I have a question about the way Minigure faces are stylized and why. I've noticed that TLG puts a greater level of detail into the faces of the Minifigures that are included in themes like City or Star Wars or Superheroes, but on their Modular Building series, where the buildings are loaded to the gills with detail, the Minifigures all have extremely simplified faces.

I'm curious if anyone knows if there is a company reason why they decided to do it this way. Thanks!

Comments

• MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 321
    Think about it from the minifigs perspective... You live in a nice apartment above a fancy French Restaurant, All I can do is fly around in the fourth police helicopter I've been issued in the last decade. Which one of us is likely to be smiling?  No all seriousness though - No, I don't think there has been an official explanation. 
    SprinkleOtterTheBigLegoski
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia, BulgariaMember Posts: 3,537
    edited January 2
    The modular line just uses classic minifig smile face from olden times. Just a nod to the past. Nothing more complicated than that.
    stluxgmonkey76SprinkleOtterLyichirClutchPowercatwranglerCM4SJern92
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,004
    Also the focus is on the build rather than the figure. Whereas for licensed sets, there is often a strong focus on getting the mini figure movie realistic.
    stluxbobabricks
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,197
    edited January 2
    I like to think of it as a blank canvas, just a starting point for us to add our own story and characters to the scene.

And what Bumblepants said, and everyone else.
    catwranglerbobabricks
  • blogzillyblogzilly Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 521
    All fun answers. I'd wondered if the simplest explanation was THE answer. I suspect that it is a nod to the past, but wondered if anyone ever heard an official explanation at a con or in a book.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 945
    I do appreciate the style of the minifigure faces and use that critieria when collecting minifigures. When I collected SW, which I've since abandoned, I used to exclude all yellow faced, non-white pupil eyed, Clone War animated eyed figures from my collection. The classic head was fine when Lego's focus was on building models, but with the emphasis on characters the plain head simply was inadequate. The modular theme is definitely about the buildings.

I thought about collecting all yellow minifigure heads, but the task seems too daunting and expensive having to part with the minfigure torsos and all, but I think it would make a great library and display.
  • CaptainLegoCaptainLego FloridaMember Posts: 41
    I would agree that modulars are more about the building itself, but, at least all you have to do is change the minifig heads out in this case. 
  • Glacierfalls265Glacierfalls265 USAMember Posts: 146
    Lol when I was younger, my parents were always asking my why it seemed that only the female minifigs had two expressions! Like the happy/angry or happy/scared. At least until the more in-depth themed mini figures came out...