You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LEGO aaaaand.... THUNDERBIRDS! Might it be possible?

BrickSunBrickSun NetherlandsMember Posts: 16
In 2015 I backed the Thunderbirds project on Kickstarter (where they made three old audio-stories into new TV episodes).
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1558089494/thunderbirds-1965-new-episodes-from-1960s-recordin

In their most recent project update/newsletter (31 december 2016) they said this:

"To cap the year off, after an exhausting few months of work, we hopped on a plane with Thunderbirds 1 and 4, Lady Penelope, Parker, Brains, Jeff and Scott to Denmark! We were invited by Lego to go to their HQ in Billund and give a talk to their design team about making the three new episodes of Thunderbirds last year."

And they included some photos:

"Explaining the lip-sync system"

"Senior designers Matthew Ashton and Samuel Johnson meet the puppet heroes."

"Lego's designers"
(Does anyone recognise some of their favourite designers?)

And check out this beautiful Thunderbird 1 made by TLC:

Sooooo.. does this point us in the direction of a Thunderbirds licence? That would be just beautiful!

You can read the full update/newsletter here:
http://https//www.kickstarter.com/projects/1558089494/thunderbirds-1965-new-episodes-from-1960s-recordin/posts/1774816

omniumcatwranglerClutchPower

Comments

• BrickSunBrickSun NetherlandsMember Posts: 16
    Hm.. I don't know how to edit my original post. The link to the full newsletter is not quite right.

This one works:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1558089494/thunderbirds-1965-new-episodes-from-1960s-recordin/posts/1774816
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Salem, MA, USAMember Posts: 243
    I'd love to see a Lego Thunderbird 2, complete with Thunderbird 4 inside. And a UCS Tracy Island perhaps?
    ClutchPower
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 665
    edited January 3
    I'd love to see a Lego Thunderbird 2, complete with Thunderbird 4 inside. And a UCS Tracy Island perhaps?
    Nah, UCS TB2 or 1, minifig scale :P

EDIT: TB2 would be better, then you could have pod 4 with TB4.
    Ian_S
  • OrmskirkBricksOrmskirkBricks England, UKMember Posts: 150
    Ohhhh this would be lovely! A UCS Thunderbirds theme! Would be bad for my wallet.
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 564
    Would love me some LEGO Thunderbirds!

Disclaimer: My MOC'ing skills suck, as illustrated by the image below; so be gentle.

Last summer, I attempted to LDD'ed Thunderbird sets a-la Star Wars Planet Sets subtheme: All 5 brothers with their corresponding vehicles + Lady Penelope and her FAB 1. Couldn't think what to pair with Brains.

I gave up due to the suckiness indicated above and shown below.

bookmumcatwranglerClutchPowerLegogramstluxbandit778MaffyD
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 118
    Like Scooby Doo, Thunderbirds is not something I'd say I'm a huge fan of. But also like Scooby Doo, I like Thunderbirds enough that, provided the sets were good - minifigure scale and of the vehicles etc, then I'd probably want to buy all of them as they would be so iconic.
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 516
    @JooTog I think your model is adorable! And I love the minifig. 
    @bookmum Thanks! Maybe I'll go back to it one of these days :-)
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 203
    This presentation was a real treat for the designers but Lego designer Mark Stafford confirmed on Reddit that it had nothing to do with any future licensing plans. That's not to say a Thunderbirds theme or set couldn't ever happen (say, through Ideas or something), but if this visit had anything to do with future products the pictures and information about the visit would not be allowed to be published online.
  • ClutchPowerClutchPower Austin, TexasMember Posts: 141
    Didn't post this earlier, but from reading this, I have made a couple of guesses:

Im a very young generation compared to most people in this forum, so I would expect that most of you have seen the older Thunderbirds. I first knew about it when my Dad showed me a few episodes. They grew very close to me and I LOVE it. With that being said, I don't know too much about how the show works. I know that Amazon has a new updated version for the more younger age group. I have watched a couple episodes and was very surprised to enjoy it. 

Please keep in mind that this thought was before it was confirmed that LEGO would not make a line. Judging by the amount of people who love the older movie version ps out of LEGO, I would see an immense popularity of this line. But I think if they actually would make one, it would be based on the newer TV show. 

For once, more people would have watched the newer series ( mostly kids.) If they liked the show, it would be more gendered to the younger audience. When the Simpsons and Ghostbusters LEGO sets came out, most sales were for AFOLs. But at the same time, I would think that this would be a one time deal only. I don't think that they could make multiple waves of this theme. But if LEGO did make this theme, I would be the first in line to buy it.

JooTog
    ^ I watched the original TV series 10+ years after it originally aired and loved it. Last year I watched the first season of the Amazon TV series and thought it was great (Season 2 is currently on my watch list).

I agree that if a Thunderbird theme comes out of LEGO will most likely based on the Amazon's show... and that's fine with me; I just want a TB2 + TB2 LEGO set... and a TB1, TB3, TB5... :-)

In the meantime, I'll enjoy my non-LEGO Thunderbird 2 model :-D

ClutchPowerbandit778