You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

With Wolverine and Magneto in the Mighty Micros line, could we see a return to X-Men sets?

PatsyWalkerPatsyWalker TorontoMember Posts: 26
Topic title covers it. Any rumours I can feast on?

Comments

• AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 896
    I heard there was going to be a special set with professor X and all of the key x-people, to the backdrop of the Xavier institute.
    LEGO_Dad77
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,150
    Only if it's based on the comic books, the same rights issues exist with Fox as they always have, but since Lego have snuck to odd set in here and there it wouldn't be unrealistic to think we will see another this year. That said super hero sets this year will be fighting each other for shelf space, Batman Movie, Gardians of the Galaxy, Spiderman, Thor all with confirmed sets, it would be reasonable to assume Wonder Woman gets a set or too and Justice League coming fast that's a lot of super hero Lego for one year.
    gmonkey76
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,082
    Marvel have reduced the number of X-Men and Fantastic Four toys, comics and merchandise and replaced it with characters and movies they own due to rights issues with FOX. Currently only three retail sets exist from LEGO and from what I've heard they haven't sold well.

LEGO X-Men: http://brickset.com/sets/tag-X-Men
    gmonkey76
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 117
    I hope so. I love the idea of a set with all the core characters and the Xavier Institute.
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 120
    edited January 7
    Only if some sort of Disney and Fox film deal gets reached, similiar to the deal they made with Sony over Spider-Man. As others have said, Marvel has been "freezing out" all the X-Men characters the last couple of years because of the film issues. Honestly the only reason why Spider-Man related sets have been on shelves is because they have a positive working relationship with each other. 

There have been a lot of rumors of late that speculate that Marvel and Fox have reached a deal or that a deal is in the works, etc. I know merchanising rights is a BIG part of all of this. So bottom line, if a deal gets made where X-Men characters start appearing in the MCU, then I bet we see more sets. If not, then no, we will probably not see any sets featuring Wolverine and the rest for a LONG time.

But these mighty micros sets beg the question that perhaps something is happening.
    PatsyWalker
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 201
    Frankly, I doubt these Mighty Micros are any different from the slow trickle of X-Men sets we've gotten since the first year of Super Heroes. We may well see an X-Men set every few years in the future, just like those we've gotten in the past (maybe more, if the tangled-up rights situation is ever resolved), but these Mighty Micros probably aren't "hinting" at any sort of change in the status quo.
    stluxYodaliciousgmonkey76Bumblepants
  • PatsyWalkerPatsyWalker TorontoMember Posts: 26
    @CaptainPirateMan From what I've heard (I work in the comic and film industries but am far from those tables), Marvel has relaxed its unspoken "burying" with Fox and X-Men and we will begin to see that this year. As you describe, it's a sticky situation, but I have hope for those same reasons!

@monkey_roo Just today it hit me I need to budget for the JLA and WW sets, if any. I'm more a Marvel fan, but LEGO DC is so diverse and ridiculous. I do wonder if we'll see official sets for WW like BvS or just convenient parallels like the Suicide Squad roster we got in Batman.
    CaptainPirateMancatwrangler
  • ImABrickManNowImABrickManNow BrickyMcBrickMember Posts: 170
    We more than likely won't get any sets with Deadpool, what with the movie and all. I think that would kind of smudge Lego's "family friendly" image. I would like to see some sets based off of the comics, such as another Blackbird or even Xavier Institute. (Although I think the possibility of anymore X-Men sets if highly unlikely) :(
  • PatsyWalkerPatsyWalker TorontoMember Posts: 26
    Getting Deadpool in the first place seemed odd to me, especially with the katana and SMG. Was that set based on an Idea?
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,450
    ^ I'd always assumed it was loosely based on the Wolverine:Origins movie. That has a action scene where Wolverine rides a motorbike towards a helicopter and also contains a variant on the deadpool character (before more people knew who he was). I guess Magneto was in there to provide the third figure and a be another adversary.
    BumblepantsAdzbadboy
  • asrfarinhaasrfarinha Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 55
    AllBrick said:
    I heard there was going to be a special set with professor X and all of the key x-people, to the backdrop of the Xavier institute.
    That would be pretty awesome... Something like the Disney Castle but with X-Men... How likely is that to happen tho?
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 120