Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Unsure about a classic set's price

AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,151
I was just looking at some older entries in the Brickset database and came across something that surprised me. http://brickset.com/sets/760-2/London-Bus is listed with a US retail price of $49, which seems like a LOT for a 1975 set (that's like $224 in today's money, or around $2 per brick)! I know a lot of old sets had a poorer value for money than today's stuff but this still seems a little ridiculous. Can anyone (@Istokg maybe?) verify whether this is correct price?

Comments

• bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,743
    there has to be some sort of typo there, maybe it's supposed to be $4.99?
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 5,655
    Thanks, I've removed it.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,151
    edited January 9
    Huw said:
    Thanks, I've removed it.
    Probably the best decision for now. Hopefully somebody might find out what the real price was supposed to be, but most 1975 sets lack US price listings so I guess data is scarce for that year.

I just figured out where the incorrect price came from: it's the price for http://brickset.com/sets/760-1/Storage-Cabinet in the 1988 US medium catalog. Same set number, different product. The '86 and '87 catalogs had the same cabinet for the lower price of $39.95.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 1,826
    edited January 10
    Yes that is a steep price....  Believe it or not I bought 35 copies of that set in MISB condition back around 1980 from a chain of metro Detroit Toy Stores.  I don't remembe the original price... but the copies I had... were marked down to $7.65.... so that most not have been more than $9-$12 new.

Sadly I opened every single one of those 760 sets and threw away the boxes (why I cringe today when people ask if it's OK to throw away boxes!!).  But I did keep the instructions and sticker sheets.... long ago sold.

This set came with 24 classic windows... so I got 840 windows back then to build a LEGO skyscraper... at a time when there was nothing like Ebay and Bricklink.... or for that matter the Internet!!

Legogramgmonkey76stluxAanchirsnowhitieAllBrickMattDawsonSethro3