Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

GOT theme - How would you feel?

arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 127
edited January 11 in Collecting
How would you guys feel if TLG would buy the rights to do Game of thrones Sets?

Imagine a 2000 piece Winterfell set, or "The wall" set, or for smaller sets there could be: Craster`s keep, the Inn on the Trident where a lot of action takes place during different episodes, Summer tower, Knights tournament (from season 1), The twins castle, or the "White tree" or for even smaller sets

Even though GOT is pretty gruesome for kids to watch, It might appeal to them by play value/looks, and AFOLS would definitely want these sets (I think).

Comments

• richoricho Member Posts: 3,770
    Strangely, LOTR didn't do quite as well as I expected, so my view is this is rather unlikely. And that's leaving aside the discussion on sex and gratuitous violence.
    gmonkey76josekalelstluxMynatt
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,428
    It'll not happen, but in a parallel universe where TLG don't care about the sex and violence, I'd be ecstatic. And broke.

You could practically do an entire year's run of sets for every season of the show. The supply of material is endless and well suited to the shape of a typical year within a theme: one or two large bases for opposing factions (and boy, does GoT have factions), several vehicle/figure sets of varying size (from a galleon to a raft, from an ornate carriage to a palanquin - and think of the siege machinery!!), some cool animals like dragons, direwolves and horses which either suit existing moulds or are types of creature TLG have done well in the past, and assorted minifigure packs for army building. Also, with Tyrion being such a prominent character, maybe it'd give them the impetus to finally crack the problem of articulating the shortlegs! 

And you've now made me want to go and check out Game of Thrones MOCs, which for some reason I've never done properly...
    TheBigLegoski
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 127
    I would buy in an instance Queen Cercei`s carriage from the first episode of the show. Imagine the details.... /wishfull thinking
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,232
    Flesh coloured minifigures. Yeah.

If they do Game if Thrones, I'll be in line for The Man in the High Castle sets. 
    SumoLego
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,189
    This gets me thinking a bit
    Yes, Lego's core demographic is kids and it has a brand identity, but that doesn't mean it couldn't start up a subsidiary company that could branch out into the more 'Adult' themes, by which i mean IP's like Game of Thrones, High Castle etc.
    It could run on its own website, online sales no bricks and mortar sort of thing and that way we would get Lego quality sets for grown up shows without any dilution of the main brand.
    That's a well trodden path for many companies when they look to diversify. That being the case, then, yes, I would love to see 1 or 2 high quality GoT's sets, not entire waves, display pieces.
    catwranglerbobabricks
  • beabea Member Posts: 213
    Even as an adult, I don't particularly enjoy the show due to the violence, rape and what not this show depicts. I think a generic medieval-fantasy theme would be fine but not any tie-in to that particular show.
    starwars4evergmonkey76
    I don't think they can separate adult from kids'. If it has Lego on the parts, it will be associated with Lego. If it doesn't, then will AFOLs be interested. There are already GoT minifigures available without Lego markings, by quality (but faker) manufacturers.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 228
    I'd be thoroughly indifferent.
    pharmjod
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,770
    This gets me thinking a bit
    Yes, Lego's core demographic is kids and it has a brand identity, but that doesn't mean it couldn't start up a subsidiary company that could branch out into the more 'Adult' themes, by which i mean IP's like Game of Thrones, High Castle etc.
    It could run on its own website, online sales no bricks and mortar sort of thing and that way we would get Lego quality sets for grown up shows without any dilution of the main brand.
    That's a well trodden path for many companies when they look to diversify. That being the case, then, yes, I would love to see 1 or 2 high quality GoT's sets, not entire waves, display pieces.
    Lego nights. Full adult theme. lol
    edited January 11
    I know the show is pretty graphic both in sex and violence. But the sets don`t have to do anything (or almost anything) with these (i`d still want to see a couple of swords here and there :) ).

making some castles (pyke, Winterfel), carriage, the wall/castle black, hardhome, the inn, some of the main minifigures (noone needs all of the stark kids, but Sansa, Aria and Rob should sufice for example) would give kids plenty of opportunity to play with and adults some display sets from a favorite show. And they wouldn`t have to have any connection with the gruesome/violent/sexual scenes from the show.
    But if they are going to do that, why not just make a generic castle, some carriages, knights, etc that kids can play with and adults will buy for kids without licensing and without the association with an adult sex and swords show. Even if the scenes depicted weren't sexually graphic, I wouldn't buy a Game of Thrones set for kids.
    gmonkey76
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,003
    They refused to do a Firefly model because of its moral ambiguities (I think Inara being a "Companion" was one sticking point). There's no way they'd do GoT. They just don't want the associations. 

I did see some pretty cool mini models of Winterfell, King's Landing and the Wall on Eurobricks that had moving parts, like in the titles sequence, which I would love to own. But I just can't see anything Thrones related being produced by Lego. 

catwranglergmonkey76dougts
    why not buy a "The wall/castle black" set for a 9-11 years old? I don`t see any harm in that, or a tournament set having the Hound/Mountain/knight of the flowers in it, dueling. (the beheading of the horse by the Mountain does not have to be mimicked in the set).
    I dont want a generic castle (I have those), I want a winterfell with round towers, pike with bridges between towers and minifigs that resemble the show`s characters (like harry potter theme)
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,003
    The Mountain, who is an incredibly violent rapist? Yeah that's a character you want a kid to ask about. 
    A lot of the characters have violent or controversial characteristics or stories. I just don't think it's appropriate to be associated with a child's toy. And I say this as someone who loves the books and the show. 

gmonkey76
    It's not about the set contents, it's about the brand associations. Parents see Lego as a toy with old-fashioned values, in a good way. That doesn't square with a show that, much as I enjoy it, is full of sex and violence...
    arathemisgmonkey76dougts
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,110
    As a fan of the show and almost anything "castle"-related, I would be all about it. Though the realist in me says it won't happen for a number of reasons. However, on the violence side, LotRs was pretty darn violent too. But GoT takes that to another level and it's probably the sex side of GoT that is likely the bigger elephant in the room pushing it out of the realm of possibility as a theme.

To @CCC's point, why not another generic castle theme? Or one that goes longer than one run? Of course, the assumption is that it didn't sell all that well and that's why they didn't continue it. I'm sure they'll have another Castle line come up in the near future, but if it were really doing well, the latest one would still be producing new sets. That could be the current climate of what kids are into. I take my oldest son, for example, and there really isn't anything castle-related that he's into currently. It's all about Superheroes, cars, space, Transformers, etc. There isn't a big push of castle-related shows, movies, etc. for kids at the moment.

That's not to say all themes have to be entirely for every segment of kids, but I definitely think LEGO keeps that in mind. And LotR/Hobbit at least had a bigger reach into some younger ages than GoT does.
    gmonkey76
    edited January 11
    ^ thanks
    I`m pretty sure Lego will not do it. In this world of political correctness and "keeping a certain image", i`m 100% sure Lego won`t get involved in this kind of theme.
    I was just asking you how would you feel if they would do them (in a aparalel universe or whatever)?
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,189
    As said the reality is Lego will never do GOT's sets because of the brand clashes and because of the graphic nature of the show, (wishful thinking or contrived senorios aside). That said let's not loose sight of the fact that Lego does play fast a loose with their brand morality line.

if you look closely at the source material for a lot of the super hero's or Star Wars or Indiana Jones then you will find a lot of violence, death and distorted reality, not so much sex though.

so on the one hand Lego says we can't make sets with characters that sleep with their own sister or murder helpless villagers, which is fair enough by the way, but it is ok to make sets with with a character that slaughters dozens of children in a made lust for power or others that literally kill billions of people in world or reality ending scenarios.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,101
    I would be disappointed in LEGO for doing a theme with a show like GOT and I enjoy the show. Same with any show that is very adult themed (gratuitous sex and graphic violence). They just don't really go with the otherwise wholesome image that LEGO has. Just my $0.02. 
    LostInTranslation
    arathemis said:
    why not buy a "The wall/castle black" set for a 9-11 years old? I don`t see any harm in that, or a tournament set having the Hound/Mountain/knight of the flowers in it, dueling. (the beheading of the horse by the Mountain does not have to be mimicked in the set).
    I dont want a generic castle (I have those), I want a winterfell with round towers, pike with bridges between towers and minifigs that resemble the show`s characters (like harry potter theme)
    As others have said, it is association. Put GoT on a kids toy and it implies GoT is suitable for kids. It isn't.
    pharmjodLostInTranslationrichostluxtamamahm
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,455
    I'm getting too much values dissonance in just considering it. It's like comparing this forum to 4chan. Just get me more LOTR. Thanks!
    pharmjodsnowhitie
    Those microscale castles, though, are the best things I've seen all day! Thanks @LostInTranslation for posting that!
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 950
    GOT no, but Walking Dead yes.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,028
    arathemis said:
     I want a winterfell with round towers, pike with bridges between towers and minifigs that resemble the show`s characters (like harry potter theme)
    So build it?
    pharmjodLusiferSamstluxLostInTranslationYodaliciousbinaryeye
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,750
    Nah. I wouldn't be a huge fan of GOT sets.

LOTR is like GOT Lite. That's perfect for Lego.

The GOT buildings and landscapes however...they're totally perfect for Lego.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,709
    The other reason I would not want this theme... Lego would not do it justice. I would want detailed castle or seeeping sets, and from what we say with LotR, they are not going that route.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,068
    I'd much prefer a generic (non sci fi infused*) castle theme. To be honest I think GoT is massively overhyped. It's not bad but it's not the incredible, ground breaking series (in terms of books or tv) that some people make out.
    Admittedly I'm not totally up to date with it, but it's not particularly grabbed me enough to stick with it.

Yes there is some content that could make for some good sets but no more so than other IPs that would be far more appropriate.

*this part is aimed at Nexo Knights rather than GoT obviously
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 716
    I don't watch GoT, but then I've never really been into LOTR either but I enjoyed a lot of their sets, just for the whole fantasy setting.  I agree that a good generic Castles theme would be great, though naturally Lego will have their reasons for not having done one for some time - i can definitely see the appeal of the techno-medievil Nexo Knights sets over regular castle for an 8 year old for example!
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,564

I would like some thing that is more like the old castle theme but I am not sure GOT would fill that in the way I would want. Plus on top of the that it would be a PR disaster for Lego which has spent years promoting itself as family friendly. Based on how much stick it got from the minidoll saga it would be worse if it was seen to be associating with a violent, adult themed show. I think few parents would want to deal with the questions raised about it and the stink kicked up by family associations (the ones who think a gay kiss on TV will turn everyone into sex crazed homosexuals) would be far to big and damaging. It would also create some really bad headlines in the press as well (alla the Breaking Bad set made from Lego) by associating with the show.  

• CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 893
    I bet the die hard Fantasy Era ? Castle fans would be into it. As for me I'd have zero interest. Never cared to watch the show, I know like one or two character names? Nothing too interesting.. don't think they'd sell well. Would be a waste of a theme. 

I would like some thing that is more like the old castle theme but I am not sure GOT would fill that in the way I would want. Plus on top of the that it would be a PR disaster for Lego which has spent years promoting itself as family friendly. Based on how much stick it got from the minidoll saga it would be worse if it was seen to be associating with a violent, adult themed show. I think few parents would want to deal with the questions raised about it and the stink kicked up by family associations (the ones who think a gay kiss on TV will turn everyone into sex crazed homosexuals) would be far to big and damaging. It would also create some really bad headlines in the press as well (alla the Breaking Bad set made from Lego) by associating with the show.  

And they apparently stopped doing promos with The Sun due to half-naked women, so would they want to promote nudity again?

• Legopassion8Legopassion8 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,099
    I think they missed the boat.

GoT is running out of gas.
    (Don't get me started)
  • PatsyWalkerPatsyWalker TorontoMember Posts: 69
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,564
    CCC said:
    And they apparently stopped doing promos with The Sun due to half-naked women, so would they want to promote nudity again?

Exactly, I think it would be difficult to argue that they stop doing promos with The Sun on gender politics to then support GOT.
    gmonkey76
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 165
    I would much rather Star Trek.. But with the lack of the rights I can only dream.. 

One day maybe...
    MaffyD
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,722
    LOTR is like GOT Lite.
    I hope you mean this only in regard to graphic subject matter.
    Shib said:
    To be honest I think GoT is massively overhyped. It's not bad but it's not the incredible, ground breaking series (in terms of books or tv) that some people make out.
    The first book in the series came out over 20 years ago. I don't know if it was considered groundbreaking, but I can assure you it was quite different than most other work in the genre at that time.