Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Best Way To Order Parts From Bricklink?

So I'm about to start a fairly substantial MOC, and It's going to require a decemt number of parts. (500ish?) This is my first time embarking on such a build, and I've actually never used Bricklink. Is it best to get parts at the cheapest cost from individual sellers? Or are you killed on shipping that way? Or does it end up being cheaper just to find a few stires with most of what you need? Thanks a bunch to any who answer, just some personal experience is valued. Thanks!
josekalel

Comments

• Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 482
    Usually the stores with a larger variety gouge you on parts. Usually I try and find the more uncommon parts at good prices and tack on more common parts from the cheapest seller. Buying from one seller almost never yields the best price (because otherwise everyone would do it) but at the same time you don want to have orders of less them ten parts unless absolutely necessary. I understand your struggle though it seems very overwhelming at first.
    MattDawson
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,203
    Hugely variable, there is no best way that always works. You can try using the wanted list procedure that seems to work for some wants lists but not others.

Maybe the best thing to do is look for the rarer / more expensive parts first, as that may dictate which sellers you can use for those parts. Then check what cheap parts on your list those sellers have, and compare them to other sellers. You will need to buy the expensive parts from them anyway, so you might as well buy the cheap parts from them too so long as they are not too outrageous in price.

If you are buying minifigs or minifig parts or other expensive but small and light parts, often you find that it is cheaper to buy them from the cheapest seller and pay postage for just a small order, rather than adding them into a larger order from a bigger seller and paying "big seller" prices. Some big sellers have minifigs for example £3, £4, £5 (or equivalent in USD) more expensive than the cheapest. If postage is only a quid, it is better to go for the cheaper one by itself rather than adding it to a larger order.

asrfarinhacatwranglerBrownRiceMafiaSumoLego
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,785
    CCC said:
    Maybe the best thing to do is look for the rarer / more expensive parts first, as that may dictate which sellers you can use for those parts. Then check what cheap parts on your list those sellers have, and compare them to other sellers. You will need to buy the expensive parts from them anyway, so you might as well buy the cheap parts from them too so long as they are not too outrageous in price.

This.

It's often better to pay a penny or two more per piece than have to pay an extra £1.50 to get it cheaper from another seller. Obviously the flip side to that is if you're buying two or three hundred of them, a penny cheaper can often be worth it, despite the extra postage costs.

The Wanted List facility is much better on BL now, but a lot of it is still down to you deciding the best way to do it.
    77ncaachamps
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,910
    edited January 13
    Rebrickable has a nice tool for ordering parts. I have not uploaded MOC's to it but have down loaded parts list from it. One of the tools is shown below. It will show what store has the majority or your parts, how much they will cost, and then order them with the click of one button. 
    CCCbandit778
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 15,203
    That mini Miro R2 is lovely too ... :-)

• tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 286
    ecmo47 said:
    Rebrickable has a nice tool for ordering parts. I have not uploaded MOC's to it but have down loaded parts list from it. One of the tools is shown below. It will show what store has the majority or your parts, how much they will cost, and then order them with the click of one button. 
    Is there a way I can use this feature without selecting a premade MOC?
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 952
    Rebrickable has a tool you can use to make a list of parts, and a search that tells what sets you can build using those parts. Depending on what you are going to build, it might be worth creating a list of the parts you are looking to buy for your MOC and running the search to see what factory sets contain the parts, and then buy the set rather than individual parts. I've bought a bunch of complete LEGO games because I could buy the whole game cheaper than the baseplate included in the game.
  • JodyJody Eastern USAMember Posts: 104
    That rebrickable tool is a bit humorous at times. The first one on the list is usually some gouger charging 10x the going rate. I've had parts lists that said they were $1000 from one seller and then $75 from another.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,910
    CCC said:
    That mini Miro R2 is lovely too ... :-)

Parts should be in next week for both Leia and R2. I've always been a "spaceships/vehicles" kind of guy but both of these designs are so engaging that I could not pass up the opportunity to build them.
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 430
    Jody said:
    That rebrickable tool is a bit humorous at times. The first one on the list is usually some gouger charging 10x the going rate. I've had parts lists that said they were $1000 from one seller and then $75 from another.
    Rebrickable's multibuy the optimizer, not the initally shown list) doesnt work over 150 piece types. BL's Optimizer has a trap when you want to split it time-wise. WHen applying orders to a wanted list and a order contains 2 lots with same part only the first one gets subtracted. Nasty way to order a few pieces more than intended if you dont catch it.
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasMember Posts: 668
    I was going to open a new thread but this is similar to what I wanted to ask so I'll hijack it...One of the questions that I had is, are all the bricks sold on BrickLink LEGO branded? Will sellers make a note if they aren't?

I will also be embarking on a huge project (for me), which will be making an old building that's in a city near where I live; it's nine floors high (I'll modify the design so that I do not make it so high), but it's somewhat thin in width...so I just wanted to make sure that purchasing bricks from BL wouldn't be an issue. 

• DaraghDaragh IrelandMember Posts: 352
    Bricklink is only for the sale of LEGO bricks, parts and associated products, no non-LEGO is allowed. If in the unlikely event you located clone brand items in purchased used parts, contact the seller. 

josekalelMattDawsonmadforLEGO
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasMember Posts: 668
    ^Thanks! Just wanted to make sure that most of you have not had any issues about it...then I can start my project!!
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,025
    edited April 27
    I believe that aside that the only non-lego parts available are custom instructions/mocs, stickers, compatible parts (e.g. TrainedBricks' 3d printed train parts) and SOPs (stickers on pieces) - I think I saw it being against Ts & Cs to sell competitor/clone products...
    madforLEGO
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,831
    edited April 28
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,785
    Believe it or not (considering my activity here), I've just received my first ever Bricklink order!

To keep things simple, I just found the cheapest seller for the main parts I was after, and then trawled their store for a few other bits I might need. Of course, "a few" turned into "many", and before I knew it I was spending about 4x what I originally intended. I'm quite pleased though, as it's the only practical way of getting the parts I need at that price. I used to just buy new parts directly from LEGO before.

Gotta say, though, Bricklink's website is horrendous to use.
    sid3windrDronegmonkey76BumblepantsMaffyDSumoLego
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 206
    Is there an easy way to determine which parts on a wanted list are expensive/rare or is it a case of just going through the list manually?

I fancy trying to bricklink some sets from my youth rather than pay crazy money on ebay or the used sets on Bricklink so I'm going to look at the rarer/more expensive bits first then add whatever else the seller has that I need at reasonable prices.  

I'd assume that with Classic Space, for example, looking for trans yellow or any odd looking bits that are no longer available would probably be the best tactic?

Sets most likely to be space/pirates/castle.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 823
    dmcc0 said:
    Is there an easy way to determine which parts on a wanted list are expensive/rare or is it a case of just going through the list manually?

I fancy trying to bricklink some sets from my youth rather than pay crazy money on ebay or the used sets on Bricklink so I'm going to look at the rarer/more expensive bits first then add whatever else the seller has that I need at reasonable prices.  

I'd assume that with Classic Space, for example, looking for trans yellow or any odd looking bits that are no longer available would probably be the best tactic?

There is a piece of free software called "Brickstock" which allows you to import an inventory and then shows prices for parts based on previous sales data. It is a good tool for assessing the possible cost of Brick Linking a set.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,621
    +1 for Brickstock, I used it for all my projects. It also allows you to export the part list into a BL wanted list and import the orders you created.
    Thanks, will give brickstock a go.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 1,788
    dmcc0 said:

I recently noticed on rebrickable that I have like 90% of the pieces for the black pearl. the missing ones being the rare ones of course, sails, hull... If I only bought the pieces I miss, it would cost me over 200€. probably more than for a complete set. I guess you may run into a similar problem with vintage pirate ships.

otherwise, you may try substituting some pieces with more modern variations like replacing old grey by light blue-ish grey
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,532
    edited June 9
    Brickowl can also be quite handy as a quick reference guide for prices, if your put in the set number, then list the inventory of the set, you can sort by price to give you a rough idea about what's expensive from that set.
    The only issue is that being a smaller marketplace than bricklink they only list the parts available to buy so some of the parts could me missing off the list.
    Fauch said:
    dmcc0 said:

I recently noticed on rebrickable that I have like 90% of the pieces for the black pearl. the missing ones being the rare ones of course, sails, hull... If I only bought the pieces I miss, it would cost me over 200€. probably more than for a complete set. I guess you may run into a similar problem with vintage pirate ships.

otherwise, you may try substituting some pieces with more modern variations like replacing old grey by light blue-ish grey
    I realise it can probably end up costing quite a bit doing it this way, but don't mind substituting where I need to and at least I can spread the cost out a bit if I'm just buying a batch of parts at a time rather than full sets.  Also won't have space to display too many sets at once so parts from one can contribute to others when not on display hopefully.

I'll have to remember not to mark sets as owned on Brickset though ;-)
  • CaptainLegoCaptainLego FloridaMember Posts: 149
    Try to find as many parts as you need from the least number of sellers possible. That way, shipping costs don't wreck you. If you find one seller with almost everything you need, then that's even better.

Of course, make sure all the costs are okay with you first.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,194
    I rarely ever buy one or 2 parts types or parts from BL. I typically make a decent list in order to make it worth the sellers while as well.