You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Best Way To Order Parts From Bricklink?

So I'm about to start a fairly substantial MOC, and It's going to require a decemt number of parts. (500ish?) This is my first time embarking on such a build, and I've actually never used Bricklink. Is it best to get parts at the cheapest cost from individual sellers? Or are you killed on shipping that way? Or does it end up being cheaper just to find a few stires with most of what you need? Thanks a bunch to any who answer, just some personal experience is valued. Thanks!

Comments

  • Jackad7Jackad7 Wisconsin Member Posts: 389
    Usually the stores with a larger variety gouge you on parts. Usually I try and find the more uncommon parts at good prices and tack on more common parts from the cheapest seller. Buying from one seller almost never yields the best price (because otherwise everyone would do it) but at the same time you don want to have orders of less them ten parts unless absolutely necessary. I understand your struggle though it seems very overwhelming at first.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,025
    Hugely variable, there is no best way that always works. You can try using the wanted list procedure that seems to work for some wants lists but not others.

    Maybe the best thing to do is look for the rarer / more expensive parts first, as that may dictate which sellers you can use for those parts. Then check what cheap parts on your list those sellers have, and compare them to other sellers. You will need to buy the expensive parts from them anyway, so you might as well buy the cheap parts from them too so long as they are not too outrageous in price.

    If you are buying minifigs or minifig parts or other expensive but small and light parts, often you find that it is cheaper to buy them from the cheapest seller and pay postage for just a small order, rather than adding them into a larger order from a bigger seller and paying "big seller" prices. Some big sellers have minifigs for example £3, £4, £5 (or equivalent in USD) more expensive than the cheapest. If postage is only a quid, it is better to go for the cheaper one by itself rather than adding it to a larger order.

    asrfarinhacatwranglerBrownRiceMafia
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,289
    CCC said:
    Maybe the best thing to do is look for the rarer / more expensive parts first, as that may dictate which sellers you can use for those parts. Then check what cheap parts on your list those sellers have, and compare them to other sellers. You will need to buy the expensive parts from them anyway, so you might as well buy the cheap parts from them too so long as they are not too outrageous in price.

    This.

    It's often better to pay a penny or two more per piece than have to pay an extra £1.50 to get it cheaper from another seller. Obviously the flip side to that is if you're buying two or three hundred of them, a penny cheaper can often be worth it, despite the extra postage costs.

    The Wanted List facility is much better on BL now, but a lot of it is still down to you deciding the best way to do it.
    77ncaachamps
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,655
    edited January 13
    Rebrickable has a nice tool for ordering parts. I have not uploaded MOC's to it but have down loaded parts list from it. One of the tools is shown below. It will show what store has the majority or your parts, how much they will cost, and then order them with the click of one button. 
    CCC
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 14,025
    That mini Miro R2 is lovely too ... :-)

  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 286
    ecmo47 said:
    Rebrickable has a nice tool for ordering parts. I have not uploaded MOC's to it but have down loaded parts list from it. One of the tools is shown below. It will show what store has the majority or your parts, how much they will cost, and then order them with the click of one button. 
    Is there a way I can use this feature without selecting a premade MOC?
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 609
    Rebrickable has a tool you can use to make a list of parts, and a search that tells what sets you can build using those parts. Depending on what you are going to build, it might be worth creating a list of the parts you are looking to buy for your MOC and running the search to see what factory sets contain the parts, and then buy the set rather than individual parts. I've bought a bunch of complete LEGO games because I could buy the whole game cheaper than the baseplate included in the game.
  • JodyJody Eastern USAMember Posts: 104
    That rebrickable tool is a bit humorous at times. The first one on the list is usually some gouger charging 10x the going rate. I've had parts lists that said they were $1000 from one seller and then $75 from another.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 1,655
    CCC said:
    That mini Miro R2 is lovely too ... :-)

    Parts should be in next week for both Leia and R2. I've always been a "spaceships/vehicles" kind of guy but both of these designs are so engaging that I could not pass up the opportunity to build them.
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 346
    Jody said:
    That rebrickable tool is a bit humorous at times. The first one on the list is usually some gouger charging 10x the going rate. I've had parts lists that said they were $1000 from one seller and then $75 from another.
    Rebrickable's multibuy the optimizer, not the initally shown list) doesnt work over 150 piece types. BL's Optimizer has a trap when you want to split it time-wise. WHen applying orders to a wanted list and a order contains 2 lots with same part only the first one gets subtracted. Nasty way to order a few pieces more than intended if you dont catch it.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy