Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Hello from Brickinghamshire

Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen In the sarlacc's bellyMember Posts: 92
Hi,

I have been browsing the forum for a little while and recently started posting, so thought I should introduce myself.

As a kid in the 80s and early 90s I had a large collection of city Lego, and a smattering of other sets (classic space, forest men, pirates, Technic). Pirates was of great interest, but came along a bit too late. City was the focus.

Teenage years, Lego fell by the wayside with other toys, and was sold at a car boot for a pittance. Second hand Lego is not going to be worth more or the same as the RRP is it? You won't want this ever again will you? Fool.

Then to Uni, and in first year Star Wars Lego appears. Well that was a short dark age. A year or less. Got a good selection of the first and second wave. #7181 UCS Tie Interceptor and #8002 Droideka are my prize pieces from that era. Droideka still blows my mind. Wish Lego would do more sets like this. Technic cars and diggers don't appeal, but Technic mechanisms do. I would love a Technic parts box, like the Creator parts boxes.

Then post Uni, Lego got left at Father's house while got started in my first proper job. It was not put away, just merely waiting for a short time until I had found a better place to live with more space. No more than a year.... 12 years later, after various jobs, homes, a Phd, and kids, I was still meaning to get that Lego back. But now there was a plan. My own office. There would be a display area for Lego.

Around this time I had seen the #21103 Back to the Future and #21108 Ecto 1 sets. They had to be bought. They spent several years squirrelled away until there was somewhere for them. Missed #21110 Research Institute set, then the #21302 Big Bang set came along. Bought instantly, in case it sold out like the science set (Lego's set lifetimes still confuse me). Then a few more things happened. There was a Lego documentary a couple of year ago, where they showed off the Hot dog guy CMF. I had seen CMF packs in the supermarket, and they looked interesting but I dismissed them. I was not going to buy something I could not see. Hot dog guy changed me. I now have a lot of CMF figures. I also started to take note of the latest Star Wars sets. I always wanted #7166 Imperial Shuttle, so I went looking for that. Had not realised that so much Star Wars Lego had been and gone since 99, and how much it had improved. Ended up with #75094 Shuttle Tydirium and #75054 AT-AT.

From this point on Star Wars sets started to accrete. Just waiting until I had this mythical space. Then Force Awakens sets appeared, I had to have that #75105 Falcon. Then Black Friday, and #75059 SandCrawler and #10236 Ewok village were on discount. Bought.

Now have my own office and a wall to display sets. Old sets are on display at last, plus some new ones. Display area is full. Still many more in roof waiting to be built. No idea where they are going to go...

Planned to stay focussed on Star Wars OT and new films, Ideas, and CMFs, only buying things that were interesting. Then this year I started to get interested in MOCs, modulars, and rediscovered Pirates. Recently watched Clone Wars and Rebels. Lego Star Wars interest has now expanded. Just missed the last pirates sets being easily available. Announcement of Pet Shop's retirement pushed me into new, less grey territories. Pet Shop bought, most of the most of the remaining modulars bought. Fairground sets bought. 2015 Pirates line bought where they could be found for RRP or close to it. Just need #70411 Treasure Island. That one has a crazy aftermarket price, that I won't bite on. Old pirate set, #6273 Rock Island Refuge, I used to own rebought. And more Star Wars. None of this has been built. All I have managed to build recently is #6176782 Escape the Space Slug from bricklinked parts.

I am in deep. Roof is full of unbuilt sets. Display space if full. CMFs are still mostly packed away. Currently building Ribba based frames for them. Working on some pirate MOCs in LDD. Itching to build a modular. Trying to figure out how and where to display more sets....

At least I have no interest in superhero or batman movie sets.... The joker escape and penguin roller do look good though...... I must resist.

catwranglerAllBricksnowhitiesid3windrstluxLegogramRedMark

Comments