Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

What's the longest you have gone without purchasing anything Lego-related?

77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,915
I tried not buying anything Lego-related after my Christmas splurge, but I probably lasted one week.
Have already made purchases at TRU, Amazon and BL.

How have you fared?
Lordmoral

Comments

• gratefulnatgratefulnat SwitzerlandMember Posts: 152
    When I got back into LEGO in 2002 I would often have periods lasting months with no purchases. This lasted up until about 2009. Now two weeks seems like an incredible dry stretch...
    pharmjod said:
    It's a sickness really.
    Without a doubt, but a very pleasant one as long as my wallet isn't screaming in pain.
    tallblocktoo
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 817
    CMF and polybags get in the way of lasting more than a few days for me. If we take those out of the equation, the probably about 2 weeks.
    davetheoxygenmancatwranglerAllBrick
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 937
    1987 - 1998! Seriously I decided at new year I didn't want to buy lots of little sets and focus on getting good supply of basic bricks so I could do more MOC... but here we are at the end of January... 2 small creator sets, 2 old friends animal sets I found in Smiths, a couple of minifigs... I have no self control!! 
    catwranglerAllBrick
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,719
    Probably 14 years for me :o
    77ncaachamps
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 2,684
    I don't actually buy all that many sets (only 11 different ones last year, and plans for only 4 or 5 this year), but if you count BL orders and PAB order in Lego stores, then probably not that long.
  • jasonord69ajasonord69a UKMember Posts: 357
    Since 2010 - it feels like about 1 day without any purchases!
    77ncaachampsAllBrick
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 590
    Semi came out of my dark ages in 1999 with SW sets, didn't buy anything else until 2011.

This year I said like last I would try and limit the rash purchases and concentrate on the themes I really liked. I'm not counting the CIty buggy and SW constraction sets on the 28th December. I made it all the way until January 8th before buying some TLBM CMFs and then said that was it.....four days later I bought the complete series of 20. Nothing since then though!
    catwranglerAllBrick
  • tallblocktootallblocktoo CanadaMember Posts: 472
    I can go a couple weeks.   At the end of last year I think I made it to almost a month as I figured I had almost all the Lego I had wanted to purchase from the last few years that was available.  Trying to buy a little less Lego in 2017 but not sure I will be successful. As JooTog mentioned if it weren't for CMF's then I think I would do a little better.
    catwranglerYodaliciousGoldchains
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 7,849
    edited January 22
    As soon as it happens, I'll let you know.

(@stlux can't answer, he's in line at the Lego Store and ordering through S@H.)
    77ncaachampscatwranglertallblocktooGoldchainssid3windrRainstorm26Galactus
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,557
    Looks like there was a 3-year gap between 2001 and 2004. Since I got back into paying attention to the hobby full-time, well, it's been a month... 
    77ncaachamps
    Actually, no, not quite. Forgot about that bonanza in the charity shop in Christmas Eve. And, actually, 8 days ago I found a polybag in another charity shop. And some sticker books. 

WELL. Eight days and counting... 
    77ncaachampstallblocktooricecakeGoldchainsAllBrick
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 1,377
    And thanks to @SumoLego I now feel obliged to add my 2c anyway ;)

I actually didn't visit a Lego store or order anything from S@H since Christmas; there just haven't been any good offers here in Europe.
    But then there's of course local shops, BL, and let's not forget this forum's own Marketplace!

Since coming out of my DA in December 2015, 3 weeks has been the longest I have gone without buying Lego. Reason for that was a trip to Japan, and one of the few things I like more than Lego is travelling in Japan (and hunting for KitKat)...

Outwith holidays, the longest I have gone without buying Lego is probably 2 weeks. It felt strange... 
    As I'm an addict, it's unlikely I will be able to go without buying any Lego for longer than that! (apart from any future trips to Japan)
    catwrangler77ncaachampsSumoLegodavetheoxygenmantallblocktooricecakeGoldchainsAllBricksnowhitie
    Hi, my name is ReesesPieces and I'm a Legoholic.  It has been 18 hours since my last lego purchase.  It is a new day and I think this time it will really last...
    Tomorrow is a new day.

A new day to buy Lego!
    stluxdavetheoxygenmanReesesPieces77ncaachampsGoldchainsClutchPower
    stlux said:
    As I'm an addict, it's unlikely I will be able to go without buying any Lego for longer than that! (apart from any future trips to Japan)
    There may be an exclusive Lego set only native to Japan.

Which reminds me - if you can find me a #21100 Shinkai sub next time you are there...
    davetheoxygenmanSprinkleOtter77ncaachampsGoldchainsClutchPower
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 590
    /\ And one for me too please and #21101 Hayabusa. Ta!
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,234
    Ha, I figure I buy stuff, be it bricks, sets or books etc. On an almost weekly basis. That said after a big purchase a week or so back I am seriously trying to hold of buying anything else untill the new GoTG sets come out, so March/April time. I doubt I will make it that long but you need targets right :)
    tallblocktoo
  • ImABrickManNowImABrickManNow BrickyMcBrickMember Posts: 262
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 300
    We are all on dry January which for me means no lego

Paying for windows for our extension instead but it's one step closer to the ultimate goal of a 'lego room'
    77ncaachampstallblocktoocatwranglerPeteM
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,915
    We are all on dry January which for me means no lego

Paying for windows for our extension instead but it's one step closer to the ultimate goal of a 'lego room'
    Stay the course, man! You can do it!
    legomental
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 564
    I usually buy my monthly allotment of Lego all at once, so 3-4 weeks is common.  Since my emergence from the dark ages, my longest stretch was the 3 months I was unemployed a few years ago.
    edited January 23
    @SumoLego @Speedman29 I'd love a #21100 or #21101 myself, but sadly I didn't come across these during my last trip to Japan, nor any other Japan-only Lego set...

I'll look harder next time ;)
    SumoLego
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,317
    edited January 23
    I tried not buying anything Lego-related after my Christmas splurge, but I probably lasted one week.

How have you fared?
    Terribly. I need to stop. I feel like I should tell my doctor. Worried about going cold turkey though, I get pretty bad withdrawal symptoms. 
    My mum referred to Lego as drugs when I first started taking brick and I think she was right. It is the only drug you can retake and resell which is very useful, if only I didn't have a hoarding disease as well.
    stluxBillyBricks84sid3windr
  • BrickusBrickus Member Posts: 8
    edited January 23
    AllBrick said:

How have you fared?
    Terribly. I need to stop. I feel like I should tell my doctor. Worried about going cold turkey though, I get pretty bad withdrawal symptoms. 
    My mum referred to Lego as drugs when I first started taking brick and I think she was right. It is the only drug you can retake and resell which is very useful, if only I didn't have a hoarding disease as well.
    I hear you there pal. I think we should set up a support group. I'm lucky to last a few weeks at best.
    AllBrick
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,200
    This is your support group.
    AllBricktallblocktooeggshendavetheoxygenmanSumoLegoJackad7
    pharmjod said:
    This is your support group.
    Not sure about that.
    Do you mean support my habit by unknowingly encouraging me?
    "Unknowingly encouraging"?! I'd say more of a "GO ON, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR, BUY IT!!!" support...
    AllBricktallblocktoocatwrangler
    edited January 23
    I do deserve it but, although I am actually beginning to realise that I use retail therapy as a means to combat depression.
    Lego is this never ending supply of colourful joy that can be acquired in so many locations for so little money sometimes, very dangerous.

catwrangler
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 1,814
    I'd personally say anywhere in the vicinity of 3-6 months since I have come out of the dark ages.  But like someone said previously, I'll then go out and blow a massive amount of $$$ on a release, like the Assembly Square or GBHQ; then I back off again for a few months to recoup....
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 966
    edited January 23
    I doubt that I go for more than a week or two at the most without some kind of purchase. I've been out of my DA for a bit more than two years now, so I have nearly caught up with getting all the retired sets that I wanted, bar a couple of Classic Space and LOTR / TH ones ( #10237 Tower of Orthanc being the big one! @MattsWhat  @MaffyD ;-) ), so my spending has definitely decreased.

My main recent purchases have been a few City sets, PAB buys and BL orders for specific items. I suppose I've been holding back a little because of #10255 Assembly Square, which I'm getting soon. I do have a fair list of things to get this year, including all the 2017 Minecraft sets, more City, some Hand of Time Ninjago sets and Creator, in the main.

It will be interesting to see my Brickset collection stats for this year, when it's over, to see how things have gone.
    MaffyDMattsWhat
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 1,716

I find it really hard to work out. It's like a continuum of spending, or thinking about spending, or considering what I've spent, or deciding what I'm definitely not spending, then spending that anyway. Especially seeing as I got out of my DA about a decade ago, but did so   v e r y   s l o w l y   at first, then joined Brickset, at which time it accelerated quite a lot!*

So I can't answer. Which I'm sure is helpful and interesting to everyone. Thanks for reading!

* Those two things may or may not be connected by cause and effect, and I'm not sure which way round it is. I have my suspicions though...

AllBrickstluxcatwrangler
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,265
    This might be a good tracker as well. I honestly couldn't answer. It may be 2-4 weeks, but I doubt it because I usually cave and buy a polybag or CMF. So at the moment...

My name is Yodalicious and I made my last LEGO purchase at 5:15pm Eastern on Friday, January 20, 2017. 

(I'm in full on LEGO organization mode, so I might actually make it through this week with no new purchases.)
    stluxAllBrickLegogramSumoLego
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 810
    Tough call. I'd like to say longer, like 2-3 months, but looking back I can't remember when I purchased certain sets. And sometimes I will have what I need and then a good sale will happen, so you can't just pass it by in case that sale never happens again.

Thankfully I am not in the same mindset I was years ago when I would buy ALL clearance LEGO because "just in case you need a certain piece." Now I only stick with the main sets I want and if it is an extra good sale, I will weigh my options heavily instead of just buying it. I think I have been more disciplined in that area at least.

But official purchases, have been about a week so far. Prior to last Sunday 15th, it was probably before Christmas since Target released all of the Batman 2017 stuff before the new year.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 864
    No LEGO purchases by me from 1987 to 2014. Since the end of that Dark Age, maybe two weeks without a purchase.
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 274
    I usually go 2-4 weeks without buying as I sometimes have to hold back purchases to coincide with the next lego free with purchase promotion.

however I sometimes buy the occasional poly bag or small set while I'm waiting on a promotion. 
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 304
    My name is rdflego and it's been about a week since I bought my last LEGO set.

I've been trying to abstain, focus on ways to save my money instead of spending it, however I keep finding alternative ways to get my fix. Only two days ago I spent £7 on building blocks from Poundland. I know that with help from the group we can all get through this together ;)
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the WestMember Posts: 1,915
    edited January 23
    My name is 77ncaachamps and it's been about 12 hours since I bought my last LEGO set. They were on clearance for 99 cents (for about 60+ pieces)! I had to!
    LegogramYodaliciousstluxReesesPieces
  • AndyPolAndyPol UKMember Posts: 302
    I was going to say a few days, but this thread made me start looking! lol
    77ncaachamps
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 161
    Sometimes months between buying sets.
    77ncaachamps
    AllBrick said:
    I do deserve it but, although I am actually beginning to realise that I use retail therapy as a means to combat depression.
    Lego is this never ending supply of colourful joy that can be acquired in so many locations for so little money sometimes, very dangerous.

*nods* All joking aside, it's definitely a risk for some of us, especially when Lego has become one of the ways we cope with depression. My 2016 facilitated my unusual Lego spending because illness and other factors prevented the usual travel, so I'm ring-fencing my Lego budget a lot more carefully and focusing on what it is I get out of Lego so I can enjoy the satisfying processes of comparing models online etc. without buying too much until the heavy-hitter discounts come at the end of the year. Admittedly, the fact I foresaw this need and stockpiled during the December sales helps with that a lot...
    AllBrick77ncaachampsMaffyDTyresOFlahertySeanTheCollector
    edited January 23
    @catwrangler - I get that ring fencing notion, and focusing on actually enjoying the item instead of the buying of it.

My sister just said to me that it's getting out of control and I should start making models. I then made a realisation, because I mainly buy large mixed lots, I have the FOMO factor, fear of missing out. I'm always into the chase and the buying because I have to grab it all just incase there is a rare item or figure in there.

As it stands, I spent £5 on some Duplo yesterday and I'm sure I can go a while now without a purchase. Totally doesn't count if it's free or someone else buys it for you.

AllBrick - 1 day sober.
    catwranglerTyresOFlaherty
  • OmniusOmnius Member Posts: 32
    My dark age lasted from August 1993 (#6662) to November 1998 (#6462), but since then I probably haven't gone more than a month or two without acquiring something.
  • lcf119lcf119 Arkansas, USAMember Posts: 13
    My name is lcf119 and it's been about 3 weeks since I bought my last LEGO set.

The longest I've gone without buying a LEGO set is about six months, between December 2015 and June 2016. Recently I've been buying less and less on a regular basis. 
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 733
    Depends on what else is happening....too much travel, illness, family/financial crises, work, etc., can lead to a few days or weeks between purchases. Sometimes even a month or more. As I try to downsize my collection, my focus the past year has been on taking more LEGO out of the house than I bring in, and it has worked well. Now I mostly buy BL to complete figs or small builds and bring home only a few new sets, which mainly are for my granddaughter. At some point most of us will have more LEGO than we can every possibly use; it is good to slow down around then and figure out how to manage the size of a collection. And to begin giving LEGO to the next generation in order to be able to access what remains in our home. 
    catwranglerSalamalex
    stlux said:
    @SumoLego @Speedman29 I'd love a #21100 or #21101 myself, but sadly I didn't come across these during my last trip to Japan, nor any other Japan-only Lego set...

I'll look harder next time ;)
    Check under the tatami.  According to Kurosawa films, that's where the farmers hide the valuables.
    stlux
    Does 'rescuing' an incomplete set from eBay count?  

I take them in, restore their missing parts and then set them free in the wild, or put them on display.

Surely, that can't count as a purchase!?!  Despite paying money.  And then buying the missing parts on Bricklink... with money.
    AllBricksid3windrYodaliciousTyresOFlahertycatwranglerJackad7SprinkleOtterGalactus
    Sometimes I think we all need to get a purchase, on life.
    TyresOFlaherty