Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

I Sent the Wrong Package?

BrickCreatorBrickCreator Cheesehead, Born and BredPosts: 133
So, I have been on Bricklink for almost three years now and have sent out hundreds of orders. Luckily, this has never happened before:

Today, I get an email saying a customer received a package they didn't purchase. The contents and included order number they told me lined up exactly with another order I had shipped on the same day. I haven't heard from the other customer yet regarding their package, but I assume the package they received was supposed to go to the customer that contacted me. I looked back in my tracking numbers and saw that both packages were shipped the same day. So, I now have two (presumably) unhappy customers that have each others packages. The good news is they are both domestic (FL and AL). 

So, I sent an email to both buyers explaining the situation. I apologized and said I would immediatly refund 50% of their original order total for the inconvenience. I also stated that I would sent them call tags (paid at my expense) to have the packages exchanged. It was 100% my fault and I took full responsibility. I haven't heard anything back yet from the customers.

So, did I handle the situation appropriately, or should I have done something different? What would you have done? All comments are welcome. And yes, please hand it to me for letting a stupid mistake slip by! Still can't believe this happened. 

Comments

• elspankdogelspankdog TexasPosts: 139
    edited January 25
    What were the size of the orders ($$$)?  Sets or parts?
  • BrickCreatorBrickCreator Cheesehead, Born and BredPosts: 133
    All minifigures. One worth $16, the other worth $54 before shipping...
    It would also be interesting to hear about people's different QC systems to avoid mistakes
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAPosts: 2,054
    You went above and beyond. They should be cool with that resolution. 
    BrickCreatorJackad7KingAlanIdougtsGoldchainsAdzbadboypreverejosekalelkiki180703
  • 12651265 Posts: 849
    QC is simple....double and/or triple check before sending things off.  In this case, sounds like only two orders so it was a total mess up on your part.  With many orders, have someone else (2nd person) to verify.

Curious, which person emailed you about the wrong order, the person getting more or less than their order?  Also, maybe the other person hasn't responded because of being away (travel) or got the better package. 

• KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYPosts: 1,188
    That's one reason I write order numbers on bags, to avoid mixups when sorting multiple orders at the same time. I seal, print and apply labels one at a time to avoid mismatches there.
    If it happened anyway, I'd offer refund as I do for missing items, but at this point I would be willing to resend (from spares, getting the mis-shipment back or getting a decent deal on more). of course I'd cover S&H all around.
  • The_Mad_VulcanThe_Mad_Vulcan SeattlePosts: 157
    I once had this happen with a replacement part I ordered for a centrifuge at work. Of course, that company just sent us both the new packing slips (paid for the shipping) and told us to send them out. 

I like your solution better. Especially since I sent mine out immediately and then had to wait for them to finally send.
  • CCCCCC UKPosts: 14,107
    1265 said:

Curious, which person emailed you about the wrong order, the person getting more or less than their order? 
    Me too. Was it the one getting the $16 package that ordered the $54 that complained?
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandPosts: 756
    I managed to do this once with 2 orders both with the same surname. The first person emailed me and I soon worked out what happened. Luckily they were only about 20 miles apart and not too far from me so I set things up with the customers and then took a drive over on Saturday morning and rectified the error. They were both happy!

Needless to say I haven't done it since!
  • BrickCreatorBrickCreator Cheesehead, Born and BredPosts: 133
    It was actually the customer that ordered the $16 order and received the $54 order that contacted me. Props for being honest. I assume the customer that paid $54 at got $16 will contact one they open the package...
    Jackad7lego007catwranglerkiki180703DoctorMcGann
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKPosts: 836

I did something very similar with an order once and took a similar approach to you - was shipping two original boxes with a few parts inside, wrapped them up, and then mistakenly put the wrong shipping label on each one.  One buyer contacted me to let me know about the mistake, so I got in touch with the other to say that they were about to receive the wrong order (they either hadn't received or hadn't opened it yet), and could they send it back.

I lived near enough to the first buyer so dropped round in person to exchange the packages (supplying with spares I had of the same stuff), and offered the refund of postage cost (about £3 or something) to the other.  I think all was ok in the end (one has shopped in my store again).

• bluedragonbluedragon United StatesPosts: 393
    This happened to me as a customer. The seller offered a very similar deal but instead of a 50% refund, they issued a coupon for that value. I had to pay/print the label myself and they sent me the money via PayPal, I believe. I was pretty happy with the deal as this was a high value order (can't remember exactly but at least a couple of hundred, I think).
  • kbenjeskbenjes Posts: 53
    1. Contact both apologizing.
    2. Ask if they would be comfortable sending the package to the correct person, and that you would pay for the shipping costs.
    3. Offer a discount on a future purchase, or some other recompense. 

If I had a large store, I would definitely consider offering a partial refund, as you did. If I only make a few sales a month, I would be more hesitant, just because of profit margins etc. 

• TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAPosts: 241
    edited January 25
    This is one of my greatest fears when I'm shipping out multiple things from selling on eBay, sounds like you handled it well, especially offering to cover costs, etc. It's like when someone cuts you off in traffic, you get furious until you see the "my bad!" wave, then everyone's cool. Good work, hope that all gets resolved!
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandPosts: 1,392
    You did the right thing. I was one of the customers in such a mixup on Ebay recently (though in my case, both my order and someone else's were sent to me in separate packages). I PMed the seller explaining (luckily he'd included the rightful owner's details inside) and asking if he could Paypal me the cash to forward the comics to the other customer. Then I just posted it on anyway; it was a few days before Christmas and I thought it'd just be a nice thing to do - and crucially, it was affordable, because a couple of comics aren't expensive to send; I'd have needed to wait if it had been a larger, heavier thing. After Christmas he replied very nicely and refunded my postage costs. 
    sid3windrricecakekiki180703
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumPosts: 373
    I don't think there's any doubt anywhere that you've handled this more than appropriately - also I think the last sentence in your previous post pretty much says it all. Top job!
    TyresOFlahertyThe_Mad_Vulcankiki180703
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesPosts: 195
    Ugh. Because I am naive and like to think people want everyone to be happy, when I had something like this happen to me as I was just getting back into using Ebay, it did not go well. I received a different buyer's purchase and offered to pass it along to the person as long as mine got sent to me. After a couple of weeks, everything was "figured out" and the seller said she would pay me back for the shipping so I sent the package, gave her a picture of the receipt, and went on my merry way.

After a couple more weeks of hearing little to nothing and sending messages to the seller that were either not responded to or were given a quick promise about how I would be getting my money (and my package from the other buyer) soon, I finally decided I had had enough. Of course, because I was not completely knowledgeable in my rights as a buyer on Ebay at the time, I didn't realize my protection had run out. Other than being an annoyance, there was nothing I could do. I ended up with nothing.

Although I think the Ebay seller isn't active anymore, I will still send her cheerful messages from time to time. 
    Damage control can be worth more overall than profit/loss of a particular deal but this still seems like overkill.
    I usually compare BrickLink and PayPal addresses so if they're different I can ask the buyer which one to use. This would also catch if I'm about to print a label for the wrong order.